Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
1,193 Posts
So both of my clutch switches that are inside are brand new, i disconnected this sensor from inside the engine bay behind the battery box just to see if the clutch pedal position would go back to 0% and as the picture shows it did which means this is the bad sensor, i just don’t have enough money and time to buy the master with the sensor on it, I believe this should fix everyone’s problem (don’t take my word for it)
Let me place an order for an RS cpedal which comes with this sensor, I will report back when its installed.

Ok I need some help here,
This is for 2013-2018 ST, they have the full clutch kit for the ST. and this is the part#
and out of these the last one is for our car.

Which is this part

Now for the RS they have this which is what I need technically.

Here is the part which I hope comes with the sensor.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
2,296 Posts
It comes with the sensor. I installed an RS master on my buddies '13 ST.
@Duece McCracken - So expand a little on this - are you saying that the Ford Focus RS clutch master has the pedal sensors integrated (both of them?) I have had a long running "problem" with my 2013 (ever since I had a shop change the clutch and clutch hydraulics) where the pedal pressed sensor was not reconnected and now I have to press both brake and clutch to start the car and I also have to hold the start/stop button until the engine fires. I tried in vain to reach the sensor up in the firewall but I simply can't get to it, so I have lived with this (admittedly first world) problem ever since. Would swapping for this RS clutch master be an alternative solution to my problem, or is the "view not worth the climb"?

·
Administrator
2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,124 Posts
@Duece McCracken - So expand a little on this - are you saying that the Ford Focus RS clutch master has the pedal sensors integrated (both of them?) I have had a long running "problem" with my 2013 (ever since I had a shop change the clutch and clutch hydraulics) where the pedal pressed sensor was not reconnected and now I have to press both brake and clutch to start the car and I also have to hold the start/stop button until the engine fires. I tried in vain to reach the sensor up in the firewall but I simply can't get to it, so I have lived with this (admittedly first world) problem ever since. Would swapping for this RS clutch master be an alternative solution to my problem, or is the "view not worth the climb"?
Wont do anything for a pre facelift. We installed the master on a 13' we are using the 13' cpp switches. The RS cpp is unplugged, integral to the unit. 15plus have a different wiring harness, which has the cpp connector by the clutch master in the engine bay.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
2,296 Posts
Wont do anything for a pre facelift. We installed the master on a 13' we are using the 13' cpp switches. The RS cpp is unplugged, integral to the unit. 15plus have a different wiring harness, which has the cpp connector by the clutch master in the engine bay.
Well dammit! As I was writing that I figured that the wiring had to be different too.......any other advantage to the RS clutch master over the ST ?

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
1,193 Posts
Well dammit! As I was writing that I figured that the wiring had to be different too.......any other advantage to the RS clutch master over the ST ?
If you have the same exact issues as my car, and you have a 13' why not swap the 2 sensors on the clutch pedal assembly?

I used a new 13' pedal assembly which didnt have the sensor, I changed my sensors 3 times lol, I will change it RS pedal once I go BT and report back.
I dont mind the new start up sequence, but I do miss my cruise control :/

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
1,193 Posts
thanks for showing pics! very helpful for the rest of us struggling with the same problem
I try to post as many pics, in case I need it again and it gets documented here for other people :)

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
2,296 Posts
If you have the same exact issues as my car, and you have a 13' why not swap the 2 sensors on the clutch pedal assembly?

I used a new 13' pedal assembly which didnt have the sensor, I changed my sensors 3 times lol, I will change it RS pedal once I go BT and report back.
I dont mind the new start up sequence, but I do miss my cruise control :/
Only one of my 2 sensors was accidentally not reattached after the master cylinder was replaced. It is the pedal down sensor, so fortunately cruise control works fine still, because that relies only on the pedal up sensor. Because of the location of that sensor I simply can't reach up far enough to clip it back onto the pedal. ......

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
1,193 Posts
Only one of my 2 sensors was accidentally not reattached after the master cylinder was replaced. It is the pedal down sensor, so fortunately cruise control works fine still, because that relies only on the pedal up sensor. Because of the location of that sensor I simply can't reach up far enough to clip it back onto the pedal. ......
yea its a *****, you will need to take the cover off and maybeee if your hands and fingers aren't fat you might reach it.

·
Administrator
2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,124 Posts
Is there any local ST members that can assist?

Reattaching the sensor makes more sense than running wires into the engine bay, lol

·
Administrator
2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,124 Posts
Forgot to mention @StanE , you'd have to swap clutch masters again too, so you'd be removing the pedal assembly, which would put you in the same predicament you are in.

You're going to need to outsource this labor. Get that bad boy plugged in correctly, and verify the other sensor too.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
2,296 Posts
Is there any local ST members that can assist?

Reattaching the sensor makes more sense than running wires into the engine bay, lol
I totally agree! I spent several hours on it at the time and gave up - I'm not a big guy and have fairly "normal" hands and I just couldn't do it. Couldn't really see either. I even tried taking the knee airbag out to see if it would improve access up there. The other curve ball possibility is that the fit for the pedal down sensor to the pedal itself may be different (or missing?), because I actually bought a pedal/master assembly for the 5-speed (non-ST) car. This pedal assembly is slightly different and also does not have the over-center assist spring, so I actually prefer the more linear clutch feel with this pedal.

·
Administrator
2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,124 Posts
I totally agree! I spent several hours on it at the time and gave up - I'm not a big guy and have fairly "normal" hands and I just couldn't do it. Couldn't really see either. I even tried taking the knee airbag out to see if it would improve access up there. The other curve ball possibility is that the fit for the pedal down sensor to the pedal itself may be different (or missing?), because I actually bought a pedal/master assembly for the 5-speed (non-ST) car. This pedal assembly is slightly different and also does not have the over-center assist spring, so I actually prefer the more linear clutch feel with this pedal.

LMFAO!!! Well, that may be an issue as well. Geez man,

Let me see if I can find pics of that assembly.

·
Administrator
2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,124 Posts
I'm just happy that cruise works - I can hold the start button down and press the brake and clutch just as well as the next guy! But it does catch others out sometimes!
Looks like the pedal assemblies use the same switches. Should be a mount, plug, and go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did anyone have any resolve to this? I just replaced my clutch and master cylinder and now it's acting up. It's doing the same exact thing, 66% when pedal is up, 100% when it's down. I unplugged the firewall sensor and it shows zero now. I'm wondering if I somehow damaged it? Anyway, did anyone fix theirs?

Thanks

41 - 60 of 72 Posts