Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
I'm dumb, but would the throttle body reduce restriction by enough to feel a difference? This is the first i've seen talk about it on the forum.

It allows more air to flow into the intake manifold. Increasing throttle response/power delivery.

It is similar feeling to maxing out the K03 Wastegate Actuator.

These mods are normally suggested for a stage 3 ST, custom tuned, looking for more mods. In this scenario, It is very noticeable. I also suggest you get a tune revision to smooth out the power delivery. The power delivery can be quite harsh and make the car hard to drive. My car was the hardest to drive with the wga mod, and the 2.3 mustang TB. Torque would hit super hard, I would be lighting it up in third, both tires because I am LSD equipped. Not great for driving.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It allows more air to flow into the intake manifold. Increasing throttle response/power delivery.

It is similar feeling to maxing out the K03 Wastegate Actuator.

These mods are normally suggested for a stage 3 ST, custom tuned, looking for more mods. In this scenario, It is very noticeable. I also suggest you get a tune revision to smooth out the power delivery. The power delivery can be quite harsh and make the car hard to drive. My car was the hardest to drive with the wga mod, and the 2.3 mustang TB. Torque would hit super hard, I would be lighting it up in third, both tires because I am LSD equipped. Not great for driving.
Total sneak brag in that second last sentence... 😁

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the Ford performance tune. After installing the intercooler the car does not pull as hard. It's not as responsive. In second gear around 2,000 rpms it would pull instant and squeal tire throughout the RPMs now it feels more sluggish and does not squeal tire at all. It feels more like the stock intercooler on a hot day. It is 70 out. I would rather have the stock intercooler and the car feel like this on hot days but on cooler days I get more power than the aftermarket intercooler feeling like this all the time.
did you go with the 5.5in intercooler? if you did that's probably why. It is way too big for the stock turbo and it increases lag a little bit. i promise you're faster though the power just doesn't hit as fast. It significantly increases the volume of the intercooler system and basically begs the turbo for more air but the stock turbo cant keep up. If you plan on staying stock turbo you would do well by stepping down the 3.5in but if you are going big turbo just deal with it until you upgrade.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
did you go with the 5.5in intercooler? if you did that's probably why. It is way too big for the stock turbo and it increases lag a little bit. i promise you're faster though the power just doesn't hit as fast. It significantly increases the volume of the intercooler system and basically begs the turbo for more air but the stock turbo cant keep up. If you plan on staying stock turbo you would do well by stepping down the 3.5in but if you are going big turbo just deal with it until you upgrade.
I have the 3.5. It seems to be back to normal. It feels like it even pulls a little harder than it did. The longer I drive it the better it got. I think the computer needed to adjust.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Saw another post where a guy mentioned changing out the cold-side charge pipes and it eliminated the lag he felt after a FMIC upgrade. Any real reason to do that unless you're at a stage 3 type mod-level already and are just chasing a few extra hp/tq or wanting to get rid of even a tiny bit of lag?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Saw another post where a guy mentioned changing out the cold-side charge pipes and it eliminated the lag he felt after a FMIC upgrade. Any real reason to do that unless you're at a stage 3 type mod-level already and are just chasing a few extra hp/tq or wanting to get rid of even a tiny bit of lag?

Its possible that the increased flow would allow the intercooler to pressurize quickly, but then you're increasing the volume of the whole system, which would make the lag even worse. Buying an appropriately sized IC for your turbo is a better option. Dont get the Depo beast if youre on the stock turbo and you shouldn't see too much lag.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Having your bov adjusted correctly can also reduce lag when getting off and then back on the throttle. Such as gear changes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Having your bov adjusted correctly can also reduce lag when getting off and then back on the throttle. Such as gear changes.
I have a Mountune bpv on the car currently which was installed by the previous owner. Is there anything I can do with that one? Sorry, still a bit ignorant on turbo charged cars, but I appreciate any thoughts and insight you can share.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I have a Mountune bpv on the car currently which was installed by the previous owner. Is there anything I can do with that one? Sorry, still a bit ignorant on turbo charged cars, but I appreciate any thoughts and insight you can share.

I don't believe that's adjustable. You're also not venting to the atmosphere it's going back into your intake tract.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I have the boomba. It only vents when I let off the throttle. And as soon as I crack the throttle it closes. The car is back to feeling normal but it is cooled out. When it’s in the high 80s and humid I will know for sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Its possible that the increased flow would allow the intercooler to pressurize quickly, but then you're increasing the volume of the whole system, which would make the lag even worse. Buying an appropriately sized IC for your turbo is a better option. Dont get the Depo beast if youre on the stock turbo and you shouldn't see too much lag.
I have seen videos explaining that some cheep intercoolers are very restrictive even though they are bigger in demotions. The restriction causes lag and a drop in power. The Depo is inexpensive but not cheap. I just thought maybe I had a bad one. As far as the 5.5 beast there are plenty of post that I have seen people running it with the stock turbo with plans to upgrade later with out feeling any additional lag.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have seen videos explaining that some cheep intercoolers are very restrictive even though they are bigger in demotions. The restriction causes lag and a drop in power. The Depo is inexpensive but not cheap. I just thought maybe I had a bad one. As far as the 5.5 beast there are plenty of post that I have seen people running it with the stock turbo with plans to upgrade later with out feeling any additional lag.
I put the 5.5" depo on mine pretty early on with plans for big turbo. Definitely noticed an increase in lag. However, I was putting MUCH colder air into the engine (like half the temperature) so it was offset by the added power.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts