Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Ford performance tune. After installing the intercooler the car does not pull as hard. It's not as responsive. In second gear around 2,000 rpms it would pull instant and squeal tire throughout the RPMs now it feels more sluggish and does not squeal tire at all. It feels more like the stock intercooler on a hot day. It is 70 out. I would rather have the stock intercooler and the car feel like this on hot days but on cooler days I get more power than the aftermarket intercooler feeling like this all the time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That doesn't sound right at all, it sounds like there is a leak somewhere. Like UnfocusedST said, check the connection points, the symposer, and I'd check the MAP sensor on the intercooler itself. Maybe it isn't seated all the way, or the o-ring was damaged. Also, take a good look at the welds on the core, you could spray some soapy water on the welds to check for a crack. The Depo has a larger volume than the stock intercooler, but shouldn't make the car any less responsive. It didn't in my case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a symposer belete. The only thing I changed was the intercooler. When I removed the MAP sensor from the factory intercooler I could see the o-ring has a small piece out of it on the one side. I did not have one that fit if and I needed to get it back together for work the next day. I know I need to replace it. It was like that in the factory intercooler. Do you think a leak that small could cause this? The boost is reading the same on the dash as before.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Check all the connections, and get that o-ring replaced. You shouldn’t be seeing any performance drop just by installing a larger FMIC unless it’s leaking from somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Buy a cheap OBD bluetooth reader, install Torque on your phone & you'll be able to see what the boost is doing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Although I'm used to it by now, my Depo IC did introduce more lag. I confirmed with a reliable tuner that any IC will cause this. Not sure to what extent your butt dyno is correct but you may just be feeling a little lag and exaggerating it a bit. My car is def not as sharp or peppy as with stock IC.

If the loss of power is as drastic as they say then you might have another problem.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Although I'm used to it by now, my Depo IC did introduce more lag. I confirmed with a reliable tuner that any IC will cause this. Not sure to what extent your butt dyno is correct but you may just be feeling a little lag and exaggerating it a bit. My car is def not as sharp or peppy as with stock IC.

If the loss of power is as drastic as they say then you might have another problem.
I wonder if one of the smaller-core units like vortech or wagner have this same issue. It does make sense why this would happen.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I didn't notice much difference when I was stock. I know when you get it to him they do it just for larger volume intercooler.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Its not the fmic. Are you tuned. Maybe you are valet mode. I have depo for72000 miles with no change. Except with my boost leak. Ya i would go back. To stock. Its faster. LoL...the rubber hose split. For no reason oneday

·
Registered
262 Posts
Good so it's not depo racing IC, maybe a leak somewhere? Coz I am about to buy a depo racing 3.5 and I also got FRPP like op.
I almost got depo racing IC a long while ago but had other expenses, anyways depo racing IC is still the same decent quality as before right? Gonna wait and see what kind of discount they offer for the holidays.

How's ATP FMIC? That's a little more expensive but will work with ATP flange and works with HKS BOV, really like the sound but back and forth and the extra cost vs depo 350 bucks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
A few other people have said, a larger intercooler will introduce more lag. To be clear, the car will NOT be slower. You will have more available power than when you had the stock IC. Because you’ve put in such a large intercooler the turbo has to pressurize the new larger volume before the boost will built up. This will manifest itself as turbo lag.

But you won’t see reduced performance, you numbers should be higher with the IC. After consecutive pulls you will have more power than on the stock IC. If you were concerned about warranty issues changing the IC may cause issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 54 Posts