Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
It looks like the upholstery shop stuffed foam up where the plastic bolsters were. Can you show a pic with it installed and possibly push on it with your hand to show how much flex the cushion now has. Im sure we would all appreciate it.

I've grown to love the back bolsters but the thighs are horrible. After a 3 hour drive I cannot wait to get out of my car.

Sent via Tapatalk using Galaxy Note 2
Not an upholstery shop, I did it myself. I cant believe they charged JG3 $225, It only took me about an hour to do both seats. Id be glad to do anyone's seats for that price lol

It looks the same as before but I can take a video for you guys, just not today.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here is the requested video. Its been over a month and I love it, never think about the seats while driving anymore. In the video I am using quite a bit of force to make them flex like that but they still are supportive.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Edit: I've driven about 300 miles in them and they are much better. It wasn't bad before, there were just times I would notice that I was uncomfortable and like I said, would feel a weird pressure point in my thigh. Now when I'm driving, I never think about the seats which is the way it should be.
This looks like the best, cheapest solution and I'm thinking of doing it too. What kind of foam is that, and where did you get it?

·
Registered
211 Posts
This looks like the best, cheapest solution and I'm thinking of doing it too. What kind of foam is that, and where did you get it?
I'm not sure what kind of foam it was. I got it out of my grandmas basement, its gotta be for the 70's or 80's, I think it was from a couch or something like that. It was less dense than the foam in the seat. I would bet a craft or sowing store would have something similar.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Got it done...did about an hour of driving after and I'm happy with the results. The bolsters still grip you, but they don't pinch any more. Very easy mod for a noticeable improvement! The whole thing took maybe an hour or so. I used one of these:

Here's some pics:

Bolster Removal - 2 by adfrost81, on Flickr

Bolster Removal - 3 by adfrost81, on Flickr

Bolster Removal - 4 by adfrost81, on Flickr

My dad got the foam from an upholstery store for $5. We didn't need a whole lot...just enough to fill the slits where the plastic piece was.

Bolster Removal - 5 by adfrost81, on Flickr

Bolster Removal - 6 by adfrost81, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
So all you did was remove the plastic tabs and it made a noticeable improvement? Im very interested in doing it myself.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
So all you did was remove the plastic tabs and it made a noticeable improvement? Im very interested in doing it myself.

That's really all it takes. You can't tell anything was done visually either. It just gives a little more when you sit down instead of digging into your thighs.

Now, if the seat backs are too tight, then you're look at a titanium swap like the OP did. But if it's just the bottom of the seat that's bothering you, this should do the trick. I'm used to the seat back at this point, though it could use some additional lumbar support.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
That's really all it takes. You can't tell anything was done visually either. It just gives a little more when you sit down instead of digging into your thighs.

Now, if the seat backs are too tight, then you're look at a titanium swap like the OP did. But if it's just the bottom of the seat that's bothering you, this should do the trick. I'm used to the seat back at this point, though it could use some additional lumbar support.
Yea I like my seat backs just fine but the punch points in my thighs are terrible still after 9 months of ownership

Reactions: furosuto81

·
Registered
283 Posts
I gues if I wanted to change just the bottom portion to the titanium I wouldn't need to worry about the airbag and the wiring???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I basically did this mod based on some other thread on my ST3 driver seat. The instructions I followed actually have you cutting the (4?) bolts that hold the plastic piece with wings to the seat and then removing the piece with the wings all together. I did not insert any foam into the opening but that may be a good idea. The result for me is 10x more comfortable. I'm a pretty big guy, weigh about 250. The seat was OK before but hurt on long trips. Now it is awesome and much more comfortable, I don't mind the back bolsters at all.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I basically did this mod based on some other thread on my ST3 driver seat. The instructions I followed actually have you cutting the (4?) bolts that hold the plastic piece with wings to the seat and then removing the piece with the wings all together. I did not insert any foam into the opening but that may be a good idea. The result for me is 10x more comfortable. I'm a pretty big guy, weigh about 250. The seat was OK before but hurt on long trips. Now it is awesome and much more comfortable, I don't mind the back bolsters at all.
Im 6' 230lb. Guess my next is a comfort mod.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just wanted to send a big thanks to @user_none and @furosuto81 for the info they shared in this thread - with the help of a buddy, I just did the "remove the bolsters from hell" mod, and it is night and day difference in comfort!

I've been a long time reader, but first time poster - back in the beginning of July, I ended up with a pinched sciatic nerve, and have been going to physical therapy for about a month now. It was determined that it was the Recaro seat (and driving with my wallet in my back pocket). Today was the first time I've driven in over a month! I really missed my ST!

So thanks again to all who have shared their pain and how they relieved it, this thread has been a life saver!

Atomic

·
Registered
369 Posts
So thanks again to all who have shared their pain and how they relieved it, this thread has been a life saver!

Atomic
No problem @Atomic17! Glad you've enjoyed the results too. I just finished a 1400 mile/24hr trip last week and it was so much more comfortable than the same trip the last year. It makes a big difference...the best free mod I've done.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Forgive me for not reading this whole thread but can the seat modification be done without removing the whole seat. Or is it really that simple to pull the whole thing out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You gotta pull the seat out, its easy, 4 bolts and an electrical plug. I would recommend taking 15 minutes to read the first post and it will help keep you from ruining part of your seat.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey guys. Does anyone know if the Canadian titanium seats will swap without any mods to the airbag module. We have heated seats in the titanium up here, was just wondering if the wiring and the modules would be different.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Well this is todays project. I bought cushion foam a couple of days ago. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Well this is todays project. I bought cushion foam a couple of days ago. Wish me luck.

Drivers seat done. Quick question, what is the purpose of this little plastic thingy?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Got it done...did about an hour of driving after and I'm happy with the results. The bolsters still grip you, but they don't pinch any more. Very easy mod for a noticeable improvement! The whole thing took maybe an hour or so. I used one of these:

Here's some pics:

Bolster Removal - 2 by adfrost81, on Flickr

Bolster Removal - 3 by adfrost81, on Flickr

Bolster Removal - 4 by adfrost81, on Flickr

My dad got the foam from an upholstery store for $5. We didn't need a whole lot...just enough to fill the slits where the plastic piece was.

Bolster Removal - 5 by adfrost81, on Flickr

Bolster Removal - 6 by adfrost81, on Flickr
How do you like that hackzall? ;)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Drivers seat done. Quick question, what is the purpose of this little plastic thingy? Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
Rear passenger floor heating/cooling. I believe it only comes on when floor is selected on the hearing/cooling.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts