Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Id like to write a new how to on how easy this is to do. I bought cushion foam from walmart for like $15 and it can be done in maybe 30minutes. Only 3 tools needed.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
825 Posts
I would wonder if cutting the seat bolsters so the are almost cut off, but stay with a thin strip on the outside still attached.. So instead of removing them they can bend to the side. Then they do not pinch (as much) but can tilt off when pressure is applied. Also keeps the original seat shape.
If it did not work then cutting them offcompeltely would be the next step.
Alternative would be add a real hinge to the cut off plastic wings on the outside. So they would be solid, but tilt outward when pressed down.
Just some other thoughts. (one might want the wings a little shorter so when tilting they do not stress/tear the material?)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The plastic is extremely rigid. It does not bend in the slightest. You can try it if you want but the seat still keeps the same shape it had before but now it compresses when I sit instead of digging into the back of my legs. You cant tell the seats have even been modified till you sit in them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
And here I am regretting every day that I didn't go with ST2/3 for the Recaros.

If anyone close enough to Houston hates them and wants to negotiate a swap instead of cut them up, let's talk!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Id like to write a new how to on how easy this is to do. I bought cushion foam from walmart for like $15 and it can be done in maybe 30minutes. Only 3 tools needed.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
Bump from the dead.

Can you show pics of how the seat cover re-attaches over this foam? Any fitment issues? does it re-attach exactly how it was from the factory?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Bump from the dead.

Can you show pics of how the seat cover re-attaches over this foam? Any fitment issues? does it re-attach exactly how it was from the factory?
There is a how to written by me in the how to section.

Reactions: STmck

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I'm not sure I'd agree that cutting a fluid hose that's part of the airbag system and putting it back on with a zip tie is worth faster.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So how would one go about doing this in an ST3 and retain heated seats? I've never had heated seats before, nor taken seats apart so I'm not familiar with the mechanism.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
You could always do a swap with me :) I will give $650 negotiable of course :wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've pondered this mod for a long time, and have looked at this thread for months, so I don't believe these questions have been answered. Please forgive me if I am wrong.

The Basics:
- I have a 2014 ST3
- I am considering swapping to the Titanium leathers (not interested in ST1 seats). Also considering just doing the seat bottom mod, but really find the overall comfort of the Titanium seats very appealing.

The questions:
#1. I understand the driver seat can be swapped without modification from an ST2 to the Titanium. Is this the same for the ST3, or is there a complication due to the ST3 having heated seats. I realize I will lose heated seats. Is there a separate connection for the heating element? Is the electrical connection the same, but just has fewer wires due to absence of heated seats? Also, what about the passenger seat? Obviously there are electrical connections due to the airbag, but are there complications with the ST3 having a heated passenger seat as well?

#2. Apparently the passenger seat cannot be directly swapped in, again, referring to ST2 to Titanium. Has anyone transferred the airbag module from an ST3 or ST2 to the Titanium leathers and been able to do a seat drop in with only that modification?

If you are able to answer these questions, you have my sincere thanks. - Andy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Halfway done! The seats I got from lkq were disgusting, not in the best shape but they do the trick, passenger side Saturday barring the rain.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Second seat done, instructions were spot on, still a huge pain to do the passenger seat, but totally worth it IMO.
I even reused the heating element :)

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It's less sporty looking than the Recaros, but definitely adds some class to the interior. Plus, it's probably easier to Locate Ti seats than ST3 Recaros.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got it done...did about an hour of driving after and I'm happy with the results. The bolsters still grip you, but they don't pinch any more. Very easy mod for a noticeable improvement! The whole thing took maybe an hour or so. I used one of these:

Here's some pics:

Bolster Removal - 2 by adfrost81, on Flickr

Bolster Removal - 3 by adfrost81, on Flickr

Bolster Removal - 4 by adfrost81, on Flickr

My dad got the foam from an upholstery store for $5. We didn't need a whole lot...just enough to fill the slits where the plastic piece was.

Bolster Removal - 5 by adfrost81, on Flickr

Bolster Removal - 6 by adfrost81, on Flickr
Hi, I'm doing this mod on my 2015 ST3 as those plastic wings are killing my legs as well as the boys. How would I remove the plastic piece on the left side of the driver's seat (the one housing all the electronic control for seat adjustability. I can see there's a phillips head screw in the rear but how did you slide the plastic piece off? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks again. Cheers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
okay so if i buy titanium seats for my ST1, do i need to worry about the SRS light? Or any light? Or should the ST1 be a straight plug and play?

·
Registered
68 Posts
okay so if i buy titanium seats for my ST1, do i need to worry about the SRS light? Or any light? Or should the ST1 be a straight plug and play?
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I want people to know how to keep your SRS working. Can't find this info anywhere for some reason. Did this on my 15 ST1 to ST3 seats.

Swap your Passanger Occupant Sensor from your car on to the new seats. It's under the passenger seat and takes maybe 5 mins to change. Disconnect the sensor, break the metal hose clamp, pull the hose off the sensor, put your sensor and new clamp on the hose, and reconnect wires. That's it! DO NOT SPILL ANY FLUID FROM THE HOSE. It's kinda thick so it won't start pouring out but I was very careful how I held it just in case.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I want people to know how to keep your SRS working. Can't find this info anywhere for some reason. Did this on my 15 ST1 to ST3 seats.

Swap your Passanger Occupant Sensor from your car on to the new seats. It's under the passenger seat and takes maybe 5 mins to change. Disconnect the sensor, break the metal hose clamp, pull the hose off the sensor, put your sensor and new clamp on the hose, and reconnect wires. That's it! DO NOT SPILL ANY FLUID FROM THE HOSE. It's kinda thick so it won't start pouring out but I was very careful how I held it just in case.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I swapped a Titanium driver seat into my ST1 and it throws a airbag code. Did yours? I thought only the passenger seat swap throws a code.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks to be an older thread but I'll throw in a question to the hat too. I've seen others that remove the wings and add foam to the void also add foam under the main seat cushion as well. I have an ST2 so not the full leather electronic Recaros. Just wondering how many others add additional foam minus the inserts to where the wings used to be. Also, just standard 2-3" foam from Jo-Anne Fabrics or whatever?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone done this on a 15+?

If I get 15+ Titanium seats for my 16 ST1 will the driver's seat still be plug and play?

61 - 80 of 83 Posts