Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are lots of choices for car car products. The one I highly recommend is Zaino. This is top shelf stuff. You can only buy it direct or from a few select outlets in NJ. I have been using it for years on my bikes and cars. The great thing about Zaino polishes is you can polish your whole vehicle and then buff away. No need to do a section at a time. You can layer the polishes. Each subsequent layer enhances the depth of the shine. You can use it in any temperature or in direct sunlight. Best of all it leaves no residue.

Lots of product choices that fit your needs. Check out their site for product information as well as application tips and tricks.

Zaino Store

If you have any specific questions not answered on the site feel free to give them a call. I have spoken to Sal Zaino himself when I called. Great guy and great company to deal with.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Finally had half a decent day today. Managed to wash my wifes Honda and my ST2. Zaino'd both of them. Beautiful finish, like glass! Her car looks fantastic and it's a black '09.

One bad thing though, which had nothing to do with the Zaino - I noticed little tiny white specks on my paint. At first I thought they were tiny chips! Which would have been amazing considering I've only got 400 miles on it and there are a ton of these little white "chips". Well they weren't chips. They seem to be some kind of white paint/overspray. No clue where they could have come from. I certainly didn't notice them until today, and I looked long and hard at it before picking it up (signing the papers).

Worse thing is there are a ton of these tiny white specks, and they do NOT wash off, or come off easy. For every one I managed to "gently" scrape off (using bug & tar remover), there were 5+ I couldn't. They don't sho unless you really look - but today I really was as I was washing and waxing it.

If it's indeed paint, are there any safe ways to get it off without damaging the clear coat?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Oh, I'd post pictures as it looks fantastic, but it started to sprinkle again around the time I was finishing up (like I said, half a decent day). Plus it was getting dusky/dark.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Finally had half a decent day today. Managed to wash my wifes Honda and my ST2. Zaino'd both of them. Beautiful finish, like glass! Her car looks fantastic and it's a black '09.

One bad thing though, which had nothing to do with the Zaino - I noticed little tiny white specks on my paint. At first I thought they were tiny chips! Which would have been amazing considering I've only got 400 miles on it and there are a ton of these little white "chips". Well they weren't chips. They seem to be some kind of white paint/overspray. No clue where they could have come from. I certainly didn't notice them until today, and I looked long and hard at it before picking it up (signing the papers).

Worse thing is there are a ton of these tiny white specks, and they do NOT wash off, or come off easy. For every one I managed to "gently" scrape off (using bug & tar remover), there were 5+ I couldn't. They don't sho unless you really look - but today I really was as I was washing and waxing it.

If it's indeed paint, are there any safe ways to get it off without damaging the clear coat?
I'd claybar it. Its a little intimidating at first because you're going over the paint with a somewhat abrasive piece of clay but its actually very easy to do. Theres plenty of kits out there, you just spray a pretty good amount of quick detailer on a section and slide the clay over the paint, the clay scrapes off and picks up any contaminants on the paint. As you go along you should be able to feel how smooth the parts you've already done are compared to the rest of the paint (probably much less pronounced on such a new car)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yea, I tried the clay bar - didn't do anything to remove the dots - did make the hood smooth as a baby's arse though. :big smile:

This stuff is literally painted on, tiny white dots. Can't even feel them (no "bump") if you run your finger over them. But several I was able to kind of scrape off with my nail, so I know it's not IN the paint, and it CAN be removed. I'm just worried about trying to "scrape" off all of them as at some point I'll be scraping the clear coat too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear of your overspray issue. If you still have not removed the overspray try this. Go to your local auto paint supply store (they sell paint and polishing supplies to bodyshop pros.} and purchase a more aggressive grade of clay. fill a quart spray bottle with a mild soap solution and test a small section on the hood of your car, use progressively heavier pressure until the overspray is sheared off by the clay. As you remove a small area of overspray turn the clay over or knead it to reveal new material, this will keep you from scratching the clearcoat. be patient this could take a few hours. Also, take a look at your textured plastics and the other blackout trim, you may need to alert your insurance co. for replacement. Sometimes overspray cannot be removed from these areas.
Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I noticed little tiny white specks on my paint. At first I thought they were tiny chips! Which would have been amazing considering I've only got 400 miles on it and there are a ton of these little white "chips". Well they weren't chips. They seem to be some kind of white paint/overspray. No clue where they could have come from. I certainly didn't notice them until today, and I looked long and hard at it before picking it up (signing the papers).
Picked my car up at 5:45 PM so it was pretty dark. But two days later, when the sun was out, I found a similar white spec. Run your finger over it and there is no bump, nor valley like a chip would have. Just smooth - it's very disconcerting to say the least.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Super easy stuff to work with. Doesn't provide quite the shine or depth of a traditional wax until you blow a paycheck in coats but lasts much longer. Also the Zaino system is actually possible to apply and remove this time of year in my freezing state of Michigan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts