Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You know winter sucks when....

...you hit the highway and at 60 MPH your car shakes so bad the wheels feel like they are going to fall off because the wheels are packed with snow and ice and there is no chance for them to melt because the temperature is freaking ZERO (F) and only going down.

I need to move!

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
710 Posts
I guess if it's ice, there's not much you can do, but if it's just snow, put gloves on and clean them out. I've got 17s from an SE and it's a tight fit with the front brakes, so it's not fun. If it's any consolation, this cold and snow is down the whole coast (at least for now).

·
Registered
18 Posts
...you hit the highway and at 60 MPH your car shakes so bad the wheels feel like they are going to fall off because the wheels are packed with snow and ice and there is no chance for them to melt because the temperature is freaking ZERO and only going down.

I need to move!
Use your hand or small tool and get behind the wheels to get snow off when you can

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Hahahaha, it was 25 below here today. 25 below 100, that is. Good ol AZ, still wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BCE22

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Bite me..
X2....or 10,000!!!! :wink:

Yeah, I'll get the snow/ice out of the wheels tomorrow when it's -9.

By the way, I never had this happen before on a vehicle so bad. I think you're right, it's exacerbated by having 17s up front.

Reactions: elyk864

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had this happen all the time after ice racing. Just go to the car wash and wash the snow and ice from the wheels.

Reactions: mininsx and BCE22

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I literally just went through a cold spell in Alberta. Rumour has it Lethbridge reported -50C with wind chill at one point.

My Ford did fantastic as a daily driver through that. Started up in -35C weather, accidentally not plugged in!

Sidenote I have my dash cam powered through the power magic pro which is supposed to cut off when the battery voltage drops too low. I think I have proven those work as designed.

Reactions: BCE22

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I literally just went through a cold spell in Alberta. Rumour has it Lethbridge reported -50C with wind chill at one point.

My Ford did fantastic as a daily driver through that. Started up in -35C weather, accidentally not plugged in!

Sidenote I have my dash cam powered through the power magic pro which is supposed to cut off when the battery voltage drops too low. I think I have proven those work as designed.
For all that is holy in the world...... -35C is the equivalent of -31F!!!!!!!!!!! That.....is......not......[fill in the blank]!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've had this happen to all open spoke wheels, but the bigger newer wheels are worse. The good old ugly steelies never had this problem even punching through thick snow and some sideways action and I think a large part of it is that the snow just doesn't have much chance to get in.

I cleaned my car this morning by rubbing off the snow when I cleared it off, taking the filth with it. Nice and clean for about a hundred feet out of my driveway. I considered trying the car wash (if it was even open) to really clean it off and leave a nice protective coating of ice on it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had this happen to all open spoke wheels, but the bigger newer wheels are worse. The good old ugly steelies never had this problem even punching through thick snow and some sideways action and I think a large part of it is that the snow just doesn't have much chance to get in.

I cleaned my car this morning by rubbing off the snow when I cleared it off, taking the filth with it. Nice and clean for about a hundred feet out of my driveway. I considered trying the car wash (if it was even open) to really clean it off and leave a nice protective coating of ice on it.
I wish I could go to a car wash too it's been bugging the crap out of me. I drove it in the snow and there is sand and salt all over the car. All the car washes are closed and frozen over.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

How much snow did you get yesterday up in Beverly?

By the way, I have very fond memories of Beverly. I remember spending way too many nights at Kitty O'Shea's back when my sister was in school at Montserrat in the late 90's. Her apartment was immediately across the street from Kittys. Good, Good Times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here it's a bone chilling 50 in miami

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Time to break out the long johns and head to the store to buy milk and bread. The apocalypse might be upon us!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Probably about 18", varying with drifts, but we were lucky in that the wind between the cars kept the snow around the bottom of the doors (I've had it pile it up past the windows in the past).

Kitty's is something else now . . . The Indo or something. I haven't been in it. Last time I was at Kitty's some girl of caloric abundance sent a dude to chase us out to my car because she was into my friend, but was too shy to approach him and wanted him to plead her case. I hope he isn't a lawyer by profession.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I went to the motorcycle store yesterday, and I've never had this happen before: I pulled out from the parking lot onto the street and as I was accelerating I had a bad vibration like I had a tire going flat. For some dumb reason I gassed it harder, spun the tires, and the vibration gradually went away as I drove. :shocked:
The only thing I can figure is I parked in some ice that melted onto one of my tires, because when I drove the car today everything was normal.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Probably about 18", varying with drifts, but we were lucky in that the wind between the cars kept the snow around the bottom of the doors (I've had it pile it up past the windows in the past).

Kitty's is something else now . . . The Indo or something. I haven't been in it. Last time I was at Kitty's some girl of caloric abundance sent a dude to chase us out to my car because she was into my friend, but was too shy to approach him and wanted him to plead her case. I hope he isn't a lawyer by profession.
That's sounds like Kitty's. Sad to see it go....though, everything changes....eventually.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts