Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Reactions: TurboGT

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@FunkyZero i do not hear the noise from the holes, and i get on the highway from work next to a concrete barrier. So I'd surely hear it if it made any noise.

The stone ports are a good idea. Although its hard to gauge the "leak size" based on that item. You don't want the leak to be too large.

As far as a manual drain valve, this is a dynamic issue. It happens in a matter of 10 or 15 minutes sometimes. You'd Have to pull off the road, get out, drain your valve get back on the highway to be able to floor it. Conversely, once you've ingested the water, your IC is cleared out, since it went through your engine already.

I welcome your guy's Testing some ideas though! I wouldnt be opposed To having an NPT bung welded to my end tank if those stone filters are enough of a restriction to not be a huge boost leak.

·
Registered
533 Posts
@FunkyZero i do not hear the noise from the holes, and i get on the highway from work next to a concrete barrier. So I'd surely hear it if it made any noise.
I didn't mean use the sintered metal filter as the restricting device, just as a device to break up the noise a bit IF it made any. I would think that @ 25psi there likely wouldn't be much noise with a hole that small.
And I don't know why I typed "carb jet". I meant something more like a fuel shutoff valve or something similar. One could adjust the size of the opening to bleed off, but still retain the option of closing it in the cooler months when condensation isn't a problem.
Of course none of this is actually a problem for me since I still have the factory IC on mine. I don't think that anemic thing can transfer enough heat to even generate any condensation.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,775 Posts
That is really funny - this happened to me just a few days ago after exiting from a highway cruise and then booting it a bit off the first stoplight after the exit and I was wondering what the hell it was, because it cleared up after that one little pull and was back to normal. Also it was a different type of misfire from what you would expect from e.g. wide plug gaps (less of a hard jerk and more of a stumble). About a year ago I installed a COBB IC - never had that exact issue with the stock IC.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,365 Posts
Anyone thinking about drilling a small hole, don't try it with a normal drill. A Dremel with small chuck might be good; I've already got one of those.

We sometimes drill small holes in copper or aluminum for thermocouples in thermal testing and is easy to snap a small bit if you get in a hurry or use a normal drill.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Anyone thinking about drilling a small hole, don't try it with a normal drill. A Dremel with small chuck might be good; I've already got one of those.

We sometimes drill small holes in copper or aluminum for thermocouples in thermal testing and is easy to snap a small bit if you get in a hurry or use a normal drill.
I broke 3 or 4. Had to go fish for one.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the Depo 3.5" and I did have this happen once. Driving from northern AL to SW FL. I was raining and humid as hell. I pulled into a rest stop for about 15min and when I went to merge back onto I-75 the car started chugging and had no power. Scared the **** out of me. I emailed Brian at JST but tit was like 1am so I was stressing for the rest of the drive. Once he mailed back I felt a lot better. That all being said it hasn't happened since. But I also haven't driven more than an hour on the interstate since then either.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts