Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Below are the FB posts of my current situation with a warranty claim. Anyone here who is so inclined, could you read through and offer any advice on my situation? I feel like I have them on the ropes but now have to prove they sold me a certified pre owned with a premium warranty with some parts installed by the previous owner that may or may not have caused the failure. They changed their tune from oil sludge and improper maintenance to the aftermarket intercooler. I HAVE DONE NOTHING TO THIS CAR except to change the oil (Mobile One 5W30) per the manual and put new Denso Iridium Plugs in at 98,000 miles. The cleanliness of the engine speaks for itself. So after we left with our loaner we are waiting on them to turn in the claim, get a denial or approval and a cost analysis. They will contact us when they have an answer. 20 hours later and no word yet.

Hey mechanics, I would like some input. Our 2014 FocusST has melted a hole in piston #1. I purchased the "Premium Factory Warranty" and they are trying to deny it!!!! 125,000 mile warranty and it has 108,000. I'm pretty sure this is a known issue and has to do with a fuel pump not sufficient enough, causing a lean cylinder and burning a hole in the piston.
So here is the issue they have. Despite following the manual to a tee, they state my change interval was too much. My "service records" are questionable as well, apparently. Screen shot of my OneNote record below. The owner's manual states there is an "Intelligent Oil Life Monitor" and I am to change it when the "Oil Change Required" waning comes on. I attached the page, because I too, was shocked that it could be as much as 10,000 miles if driven easy enough. The harder you drive the sooner the light comes on. I used only Mobile 1 in the recommended 5w30.
They are claiming the engine had "sludge". I saw no sludge anywhere I could see, top of head, block drains etc. All still clean aluminum, not even really discolored. When I questioned the "sludge" a tech shows me carbon build up on the intake valves, uh that's not sludge dude!
Looking at the pistons, #1 clearly has less carbon build up and indicates an issue with that cylinder alone. Like lean and hotter? Or the others are too rich, maybe. Nothing to do with oil deprivation or breakdown in my opinion. These guys have a fight on their hands!
Any opinions beyond OMG "10,000 miles between oil changes?" LMAO
UPDATE! Ill try to keep this short. The original Service Writer, Rob was off yesterday so he was not there when the motor was diagnosed. So this morning, rather than wait until Monday, I rode up and spoke with Rob. We went out and had a very frank discussion in front of my car while looking at the motor. He listened and AGREED that my diagnosis is spot on. And in fact stated that he told me on the phone that was the issue before they touched it. He took the heat for giving his boss, the decision maker, a false impression of my service records. He noticed that my maintenance records included ALL my engines like riding mowers etc. and thought it was a joke. After showing Rob, on my phone, how extensive OneNote is and how this was for all my engines, he quickly back pedaled. So my phone call from the decision maker, Tim, was fueled by misinformation from his staff. First was the lack of knowledge about digital records and second, an idiot tech who told him carbon build up on an intake valve was oil sludge. So unless Tim, the decision maker, is just plain stupid I will be getting a new motor, fuel pump, a turbo and a rental car!! Funny thing was, by the time I got done with Rob, he spent 20 minutes asking me for tuner and maintenance advice!! LOL Won't actually know until Monday but I'm pretty sure I got this covered!
I added a picture of the head, where "sludge" would accumulate and it is clean, looks good in fact, for 108,000. Also got a bad shot of the carbon on the intake valve, but the run to the valve is clean.
THANKS ALL!!

NEW UPDATE on the Focus ST warranty debacle. So they called me yesterday, and the Service manager, Tim, and asks if I would be interested in another car of the same class. So I'm thinking they are on the ropes looking for an out. I leave work and we ride up for more face to face. This time we get Tim, Eric, the GM, and eventually the shop manager. So they quickly back pedal on the oil thing, clearly that motor has had proper oil maintenance, they conceded that. So they are blaming this failure on the aftermarket intercooler THAT THEY LEFT ON THE CAR WHEN THEY SOLD IT TO ME!!!! So we are at an impasse of he said she said. We informed him that are we willing to swear under oath we did not put that on there and he took it as a threat of lawyers. I assured him, that was the last thing we wanted, but let him know our willingness to prove that we are not at fault. We were told 2 or 3 times they didn't have a loaner car. After the GM spoke up, we got a brand new Ford Edge as a loaner in the mean time.
So a few points of observation. One, if they were adamant that we did that intercooler why are they offering a new car and why give us a loaner? Second, Tim made a statement that they were looking for the selling inspection report, I assume to show the stock parts were reinstalled? So did that prove us right, but they are keeping it from us? Tim also said it was done by a 3rd party and they were having trouble locating it. Third, the GM Eric, made the statement, that often this is questionable customers trying to pull a fast one. He actually said " we usually don't have such reputable customers on the other side of these." So I can only assume he meant that he was fully aware we are NOT lying but also knew we couldn't prove it except under oath. But we know how that can go! So they are going to turn it in to the warranty people and see what happens. They are going to turn it down, clearly for a part THEY LEFT ON THE CAR! What do I do now? Thanks for reading and any opinions or advice you have!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My biggest question for you guys is this. Would anyone here know of a reason for this failure other than the aftermarket intercooler or BOV that the dealer left on the car when they sold it to me. I read somewhere on here that the high pressure fuel pump can be an issue and cause a single cylinder to lean out and do this. Was that a possibility? Never saw any contradiction to that diagnosis. May not have gone far enough or just missed it.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
Well the FMIC and BOV will have no affect on the failure you've had. I had my HPFP go out around 30,000 miles (I think, it was a while ago), had it replaced under warranty. I've been tuned, FMIC, Mountune Recirc Valve, for about 40,000-50,000 miles. Maintenance was always done by me with the highest quality parts. I am currently at 89,000 miles with no issues. I'd have to say spark plug failure or LSPI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the FMIC and BOV will have no affect on the failure you've had. I had my HPFP go out around 30,000 miles (I think, it was a while ago), had it replaced under warranty. I've been tuned, FMIC, Mountune Recirc Valve, for about 40,000-50,000 miles. Maintenance was always done by me with the highest quality parts. I am currently at 89,000 miles with no issues. I'd have to say spark plug failure or LSPI.
Thank you. I am new to the turbo stuff and LOVING THE CAR!. I was waiting for the warranty to expire before going down the COBB route. And "playing" with the car. Right now it has been just my daily driver. So forgive me, but I am not up on all the acronyms. BOV is blow off valve, that one is easy. FMIC I assume is Front Mounted InterCooler? HPFP I assume is High Pressure Fuel Pump. I just cannot figure out LSPI. I believe all these issues would affect the whole motor. None of these can choose an individual cylinder to affect. SO I agree this has to be an issue related to that one cylinder, The Shop Forman told me the mile I drove it off the interstate was enough raw fuel to "clean" that piston. That's why it is so different.

AGAIN THANKS FOR THE INPUT!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Thank you. I am new to the turbo stuff and LOVING THE CAR!. I was waiting for the warranty to expire before going down the COBB route. And "playing" with the car. Right now it has been just my daily driver. So forgive me, but I am not up on all the acronyms. BOV is blow off valve, that one is easy. FMIC I assume is Front Mounted InterCooler? HPFP I assume is High Pressure Fuel Pump. I just cannot figure out LSPI. I believe all these issues would affect the whole motor. None of these can choose an individual cylinder to affect. SO I agree this has to be an issue related to that one cylinder, The Shop Forman told me the mile I drove it off the interstate was enough raw fuel to "clean" that piston. That's why it is so different.

AGAIN THANKS FOR THE INPUT!

LSPI (low speed preignition) is putting the engine under heavy load or high boost while in low RPMs in high gear. Flooring it in 5th or 6th rather than dropping a gear can kill these motors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My biggest question for you guys is this. Would anyone here know of a reason for this failure other than the aftermarket intercooler or BOV that the dealer left on the car when they sold it to me. I read somewhere on here that the high pressure fuel pump can be an issue and cause a single cylinder to lean out and do this. Was that a possibility? Never saw any contradiction to that diagnosis. May not have gone far enough or just missed it.
Ok it should be known that I am far from having a lot of experience with smaller modern engines, my wisdom is of the old school variety, big blocks and blowers were more my speed.
But i have to say, that looks suspiciously like the result of a pinched ring. Insufficient gap under boost+heat= compression ring trying to find a way out of it's designated place in this world... and the shortest path is to blow off that thin top section of the piston when it happens. Usually, there is a little bit more piston missing than this though, but that is something I've only seen on blown engines so I don't know how to properly compare here.
Lots of things would need to be known though... if that engine has never been touched (internally), has that may miles on it, and the boost hasn't been increased beyond the factory settings, that's not likely what set this off. Just saying though, that looks like a classic pinched ring failure. Take it with a grain of salt

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ok it should be known that I am far from having a lot of experience with smaller modern engines, my wisdom is of the old school variety, big blocks and blowers were more my speed.
But i have to say, that looks suspiciously like the result of a pinched ring. Insufficient gap under boost+heat= compression ring trying to find a way out of it's designated place in this world... and the shortest path is to blow off that thin top section of the piston when it happens. Usually, there is a little bit more piston missing than this though, but that is something I've only seen on blown engines so I don't know how to properly compare here.
Lots of things would need to be known though... if that engine has never been touched (internally), has that may miles on it, and the boost hasn't been increased beyond the factory settings, that's not likely what set this off. Just saying though, that looks like a classic pinched ring failure. Take it with a grain of salt
It sounds like what your describing is when a ring end gap isnt correct and their ends butt into each other around the cylinder and push up and pop the ringland. Or are you describing something else? I know what I described can be an issue if ring end gap isnt set correctly and while and through the heat and cool down cycle the ring expands and then comes back together and set incorrectly the two ends come together n pop. Same as what your describing or a lil different? One other thing I know it could be is a hot spot caused by over richness causing fuel wash down the side of a cylinder causing a hotspot and eventually it creates a weakspot on that cylinder and the next time fuel washes down the side of the cylinder gets hot and explodes pops a ring land and skirt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It sounds like what your describing is when a ring end gap isnt correct and their ends butt into each other around the cylinder and push up and pop the ringland. Or are you describing something else? I know what I described can be an issue if ring end gap isnt set correctly and while and through the heat and cool down cycle the ring expands and then comes back together and set incorrectly the two ends come together n pop. Same as what your describing or a lil different? One other thing I know it could be is a hot spot caused by over richness causing fuel wash down the side of a cylinder causing a hotspot and eventually it creates a weakspot on that cylinder and the next time fuel washes down the side of the cylinder gets hot and explodes pops a ring land and skirt.
yes, that is exactly what I am describing. In the "old days" we called that a pinched ring because the gap is set too small and when the ring heats up, it grows and the gap shrinks to a negative number, forcing it's way out of it's home. That is usually the top of the piston edge breaking off.
But like I said, normally more of the piston is missing than what I see in these pictures, so I'm not so sure about my armchair diagnosis. I also can't see the surface of the faults to determine if it is melted or fractured. If it is melted, most times there are obvious signs of that in material stuck on the head and in the valve as well. I'm just offering an idea, not a definite diagnosis.
I don't claim to be an expert, I'm just a hillbilly who did a lot of racing in my heyday, and also helped a lot of friends with engine builds of that past era. I don't know how well any of that transfers into the modern stuff when it comes to common failures such as this. But when it gets down to the combustion chamber, boost is boost and AFR is AFR... no matter how it got there, and this looks like a classic pinched ring in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Below are the FB posts of my current situation with a warranty claim. Anyone here who is so inclined, could you read through and offer any advice on my situation? I feel like I have them on the ropes but now have to prove they sold me a certified pre owned with a premium warranty with some parts installed by the previous owner that may or may not have caused the failure. They changed their tune from oil sludge and improper maintenance to the aftermarket intercooler. I HAVE DONE NOTHING TO THIS CAR except to change the oil (Mobile One 5W30) per the manual and put new Denso Iridium Plugs in at 98,000 miles. The cleanliness of the engine speaks for itself. So after we left with our loaner we are waiting on them to turn in the claim, get a denial or approval and a cost analysis. They will contact us when they have an answer. 20 hours later and no word yet.

Hey mechanics, I would like some input. Our 2014 FocusST has melted a hole in piston #1. I purchased the "Premium Factory Warranty" and they are trying to deny it!!!! 125,000 mile warranty and it has 108,000. I'm pretty sure this is a known issue and has to do with a fuel pump not sufficient enough, causing a lean cylinder and burning a hole in the piston.
So here is the issue they have. Despite following the manual to a tee, they state my change interval was too much. My "service records" are questionable as well, apparently. Screen shot of my OneNote record below. The owner's manual states there is an "Intelligent Oil Life Monitor" and I am to change it when the "Oil Change Required" waning comes on. I attached the page, because I too, was shocked that it could be as much as 10,000 miles if driven easy enough. The harder you drive the sooner the light comes on. I used only Mobile 1 in the recommended 5w30.
They are claiming the engine had "sludge". I saw no sludge anywhere I could see, top of head, block drains etc. All still clean aluminum, not even really discolored. When I questioned the "sludge" a tech shows me carbon build up on the intake valves, uh that's not sludge dude!
Looking at the pistons, #1 clearly has less carbon build up and indicates an issue with that cylinder alone. Like lean and hotter? Or the others are too rich, maybe. Nothing to do with oil deprivation or breakdown in my opinion. These guys have a fight on their hands!
Any opinions beyond OMG "10,000 miles between oil changes?" LMAO
UPDATE! Ill try to keep this short. The original Service Writer, Rob was off yesterday so he was not there when the motor was diagnosed. So this morning, rather than wait until Monday, I rode up and spoke with Rob. We went out and had a very frank discussion in front of my car while looking at the motor. He listened and AGREED that my diagnosis is spot on. And in fact stated that he told me on the phone that was the issue before they touched it. He took the heat for giving his boss, the decision maker, a false impression of my service records. He noticed that my maintenance records included ALL my engines like riding mowers etc. and thought it was a joke. After showing Rob, on my phone, how extensive OneNote is and how this was for all my engines, he quickly back pedaled. So my phone call from the decision maker, Tim, was fueled by misinformation from his staff. First was the lack of knowledge about digital records and second, an idiot tech who told him carbon build up on an intake valve was oil sludge. So unless Tim, the decision maker, is just plain stupid I will be getting a new motor, fuel pump, a turbo and a rental car!! Funny thing was, by the time I got done with Rob, he spent 20 minutes asking me for tuner and maintenance advice!! LOL Won't actually know until Monday but I'm pretty sure I got this covered!
I added a picture of the head, where "sludge" would accumulate and it is clean, looks good in fact, for 108,000. Also got a bad shot of the carbon on the intake valve, but the run to the valve is clean.
THANKS ALL!!

NEW UPDATE on the Focus ST warranty debacle. So they called me yesterday, and the Service manager, Tim, and asks if I would be interested in another car of the same class. So I'm thinking they are on the ropes looking for an out. I leave work and we ride up for more face to face. This time we get Tim, Eric, the GM, and eventually the shop manager. So they quickly back pedal on the oil thing, clearly that motor has had proper oil maintenance, they conceded that. So they are blaming this failure on the aftermarket intercooler THAT THEY LEFT ON THE CAR WHEN THEY SOLD IT TO ME!!!! So we are at an impasse of he said she said. We informed him that are we willing to swear under oath we did not put that on there and he took it as a threat of lawyers. I assured him, that was the last thing we wanted, but let him know our willingness to prove that we are not at fault. We were told 2 or 3 times they didn't have a loaner car. After the GM spoke up, we got a brand new Ford Edge as a loaner in the mean time.
So a few points of observation. One, if they were adamant that we did that intercooler why are they offering a new car and why give us a loaner? Second, Tim made a statement that they were looking for the selling inspection report, I assume to show the stock parts were reinstalled? So did that prove us right, but they are keeping it from us? Tim also said it was done by a 3rd party and they were having trouble locating it. Third, the GM Eric, made the statement, that often this is questionable customers trying to pull a fast one. He actually said " we usually don't have such reputable customers on the other side of these." So I can only assume he meant that he was fully aware we are NOT lying but also knew we couldn't prove it except under oath. But we know how that can go! So they are going to turn it in to the warranty people and see what happens. They are going to turn it down, clearly for a part THEY LEFT ON THE CAR! What do I do now? Thanks for reading and any opinions or advice you have!

View attachment 374438 View attachment 374440 View attachment 374441
So colder charge temp melted the piston. They are stupid and trying to screw you. Sad. I hate dealers

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
So colder charge temp melted the piston. They are stupid and trying to screw you. Sad. I hate dealers
Who’s the dealer?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Sorry...messed up the quoting thing!! My apologies!!

·
Premium Member
266 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking at it, even though it's hard to tell from the pictures if this is the case, there really appears to be some cylinder scoring right where that section of the piston is missing. That would lend some credence to the 'tight piston ring' theory where there wasn't sufficient gap clearance (of course, that could have been after the damage as well..). As the motor heats up, it expands, and the only place where it really can release pressure and move is the actual gap (which is now closed).

That can create the pinch point, the hot spot, and then the pre-ignition point/melting section where the piston is gone. Pulling the piston and checking the ring would be helpful - although now with the damage it might be impossible to determine the cause.

As for the warranty, if they sold you the car like that... they had to know about the mods and that would leave them on the hook. If you have good records on oil changes and maintenance, the ball is in their court and falling rapidly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
LSPI is a likely culprit.

As for your warranty debacle...reference a discussion here: https://www.focusst.org/threads/blown-motor-resource-thread.17529/page-102

I was able to work through a [successful] claim for an LSPI failure under a 3rd party extended service contract. Car was FRPP tuned w/ Mountune FMIC installed @ time of failure. PM me if you want to discuss further.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Has the OP heard anything further from these crooked dealer's he's having to deal with, this is the **** that pieces me off, they know they sold the car to him with all that **** on there and they play dumb like they don't or never would. What's so shady is that they feel comfortable doing that, selling a car to someone they felt ok with and then acting like they don't know what was on the car, and then I'm sure the dealership has advertising that says we stand behind our vehicles, and we sell quality cars, and honesty, low prices, top notch customer service.. all the bullshit they can spout to make you feel comfortable that if something goes wrong with the car they own and are going to sell you that they'll be honest and stand behind it. These are the kind of dealers that need posted on a Facebook's watchlist to stay away from these dealer's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts