Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to know how tight I should go with the exhaust flange bolts. I installed my downpipe and am getting ready to put the AWE catback on. The guy who installed the Mountune system wrenched the holy hell out of the flange bolts. So just curious about what torque setting I should go?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Flange bolts.. That's a tough one. No one smart torques them. They do like you've experienced. Why? Heat. Heat will expand things, and then later it'll cool down. That constant expansion/contraction is what causes loose bolts and an exhaust leak.

That said, always apply anti-sieze. always.
Assuming you're using a fresh gasket.. I tighten till the gasket has compressed almost 50% it's thickness.
I try to almost always use a split locking washer. They are single use items because of the above heat issue.
Torque values, I'd wager are in the 30ft/lb range, upwards of 40ft/lbs. Or till my wrist clicks, which is anything over 25. :p

·
Registered
394 Posts
30 ft/lbs sounds about right. I'd go back and retorque them after 500 miles or so too.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll be using a new gasket, and I do plan to go back around the 500 mile mark and re-tighten. I did not see any evidence of anti-seize used on the other flange bolts.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
just answered this in another thread... 30lbs but that is just based on standard bolt size and torque.

Which you can google LMGTFY
You assume we know the grade of bolt, dry or with antiseize? Me, I change all bolts to 12.9, 'cause race car. :p Then follow up with safety wire on all nuts/bolts and instagram it for kicks. ;)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
You assume we know the grade of bolt, dry or with antiseize? Me, I change all bolts to 12.9, 'cause race car. :p Then follow up with safety wire on all nuts/bolts and instagram it for kicks. ;)
that is why you ask google... you can find charts after charts for "What torque X grade bolt and size bolt should be"

Honestly asking "what a flange exhaust bolt should be torque to" tells me one thing... you shouldn't be working on cars

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
that is why you ask google... you can find charts after charts for "What torque X grade bolt and size bolt should be"

Honestly asking "what a flange exhaust bolt should be torque to" tells me one thing... you shouldn't be working on cars
Not sure who this is referring to. However, if it's me then all I can add is that, although I've done quite a bit of work on cars over the years, this is the first time doing exhaust work. So if I don't have the experience, I should not be asking questions in order for me to be able to work on my car and gain experience? Seems like strange logic, but whatever gets you through the day! :crazy:

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
A shameful response.
Called the truth... can't handle it then put down the wrench ;)

Yeah it is just a 3400lb car barreling down the road with loose bolts on it and a bolt that falls off even something as simple as the exhaust could cause for VERY catastrophic issues at 80+MPH

But hey what ever says you a buck... we don't even live in the same state so I cant and should not worry about your car wrecking and killing me family or friend.

Not sure who this is referring to. However, if it's me then all I can add is that, although I've done quite a bit of work on cars over the years, this is the first time doing exhaust work. So if I don't have the experience, I should not be asking questions in order for me to be able to work on my car and gain experience? Seems like strange logic, but whatever gets you through the day! :crazy:
Referring to you and the amount of new topics that are and have been covered. You can research something without having to ask a question. you have asked several questions that have been answered time and again. All I was saying!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Don't blame him. We in the PacNW, don't get a lot of sun, thus we are grumpy. All the time. I tried to inject a bit of humour into my reply to him, and it still fell on deaf ears. Guess they are even grumpier down south?

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Called the truth... can't handle it then put down the wrench ;)

Referring to you and the amount of new topics that are and have been covered. You can research something without having to ask a question. you have asked several questions that have been answered time and again. All I was saying!
Sorry to anger you. :sorry::rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts