Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's tree sap, but I did use bug and tar remover all over and it still takes way too much effort to clean it. My roof is literally covered in it. I have to focus on each dot with my finger tucked in a micro fiber towel to take it off. I don't park directly under a tree, but there are trees around. I also do live about 1.5 miles away from an airport. 20161002_183309.jpg 20161002_183313.jpg 20161002_183318.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pictures were taken while I was washing my car. I had just hosed it down and sprayed some of the bug and tar remover on it. I have not tried using a clay bar to remove it. I will definitely pick one sometime next week when it's wash time.

·
Registered
483 Posts
clay bar is the way to go. Then break out random orbital polisher and use some mild polish, then wax. Might as well do a detail and get it ready for winter

Reactions: Cowlynz and Cooper

·
Registered
311 Posts
claybar FTW! If you don't want to do that, try a bug sponge. But if you need to attack each spec individually, that might not be strong enough. Maybe AP cleaner with a bug sponge? Then you would have to re-apply wax as the AP cleaner will strip anything you have, off.

·
Registered
439 Posts
One of two things - tree sap or iron oxide deposit... is there much on the front of your car i.e. on the hood ?

Try the "iron cleaner" first then go for the clay bar next and then wax to protect.

Example - Optimum FerreX and

yours looks particularly bad

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I wouldn't bug sponge my entire car, those things are abrasive, and I kinda hate them. Don't just run out and buy the first clay bar you see either, you want LIGHT clay, or you'll be buffing afterwards. I can't tell if its tree sap but it looks like severe rail dust, but if it was, it's from shipping from the factory, which I doubt you wouldn't have noticed until now. So I'm leaning some sort of tree sap or other environmental contaminant. I have chemical guys light clay bar but I've never used it. I have used lots of Meguiars' overspray clay before, mine is old, it's a white bar, the new mild cut is blue and the heavy cut is red.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I would say it's rail dust. To remove start with a wash, then spay with a iron removing wheel cleaner. Something like ironx or Sonax, for local purchased Dub wheel cleaner, and I think Griots has one. Wait for it to work and change color, and agited it. Then rinse off and clay. You will need to at envery least re seal the car, I would polish then seal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I wouldn't bug sponge my entire car, those things are abrasive, and I kinda hate them. Don't just run out and buy the first clay bar you see either, you want LIGHT clay, or you'll be buffing afterwards. I can't tell if its tree sap but it looks like severe rail dust, but if it was, it's from shipping from the factory, which I doubt you wouldn't have noticed until now. So I'm leaning some sort of tree sap or other environmental contaminant. I have chemical guys light clay bar but I've never used it. I have used lots of Meguiars' overspray clay before, mine is old, it's a white bar, the new mild cut is blue and the heavy cut is red.
My bad. I didn't catch that it was the whole car. I thought it was just a small area. Yea you shouldn't bug sponge the entire car!

Reactions: Cowlynz
1 - 9 of 9 Posts