21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
13,261 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Its not rotational, so its weird. Without a pic of the friction disc, and he outsourced the install, this is just heresay from one person...
yea because i simply cant find anyone else that installed the single disk version so far, all the thread relate to the twin disk version, so its hard to judge when only a handful of people did it and there is virtually zero post about it anywhere on the net lol

·
Banned
2016 Focus ST2
886 Posts
I kinda went through something like this and 90% chance its an install issue, I have a very loud clutch chatter with my single disc flywheel from ACT.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I kinda went through something like this and 90% chance its an install issue, I have a very loud clutch chatter with my single disc flywheel from ACT.
did you get it installed or did you install it yourself, if so what do you think been done wrong to cause that

·
Banned
2016 Focus ST2
886 Posts
did you get it installed or did you install it yourself, if so what do you think been done wrong to cause that
Sorry I wasnt clear enough, I replaced my stock clutch at 85K with ACT single flywheel 6 puck clutch which went out after 5k.
That I suspect was an install issue, since it used to make this grinding noise since day one.

I replaced it with a new street disc ACT single flywheel, its smooth as butter but does has clutch clatter on idle/ neutral.

both times professional install but first shop was sus and didnt cheap out on the second install and saw the difference in quality of work. so far no problems

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sorry I wasnt clear enough, I replaced my stock clutch at 85K with ACT single flywheel 6 puck clutch which went out after 5k.
That I suspect was an install issue, since it used to make this grinding noise since day one.

I replaced it with a new street disc ACT single flywheel, its smooth as butter but does has clutch clatter on idle/ neutral.

both times professional install but first shop was sus and didnt cheap out on the second install and saw the difference in quality of work. so far no problems
allright, im doing it by myself but ive also been a car technician for the last 10 years and I think as long as I follow the proper flywheel and pressure plate torqueing spec and torque pattern order I shouldnt have no issues hopefully

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Its not rotational, so its weird. Without a pic of the friction disc, and he outsourced the install, this is just heresay from one person...
So I got the clutch kit and single mass flywheel installed today, went like butter, took me 7 hours on the dot. clutch feels really good now and I no longuer have gear engagement problem, now the friction point of the pedal is right arround the mid point of the pedal and before it was grabbing very close to the floor, I also think I found why I had this problem, when I removed the dual mass flywheel I noticed that the flywheel had alot of up and down play, i know it supposed to move a lil bit from left to right but i dont think its supposed to be able to move up and down and i was able to rock it like a rocking chair, not sure a dual mass is supposed to do that lol, oh and another thing is, I have zero noise, zero clutch chatters, only thing is now that the friction of the clutch isnt at the same place and the flywheel is lighter which has less inertia, I gotta relearn to drive this thing because I keep stalling it at red light LMAO, only drove it 10km tonight but so far so good, no complain, ill break the clutch in for 500 miles or so and try wide open in a few weeks and report on how its doing here.

·
Administrator
13,261 Posts
So I got the clutch kit and single mass flywheel installed today, went like butter, took me 7 hours on the dot. clutch feels really good now and I no longuer have gear engagement problem, now the friction point of the pedal is right arround the mid point of the pedal and before it was grabbing very close to the floor, I also think I found why I had this problem, when I removed the dual mass flywheel I noticed that the flywheel had alot of up and down play, i know it supposed to move a lil bit from left to right but i dont think its supposed to be able to move up and down and i was able to rock it like a rocking chair, not sure a dual mass is supposed to do that lol, oh and another thing is, I have zero noise, zero clutch chatters, only thing is now that the friction of the clutch isnt at the same place and the flywheel is lighter which has less inertia, I gotta relearn to drive this thing because I keep stalling it at red light LMAO, only drove it 10km tonight but so far so good, no complain, ill break the clutch in for 500 miles or so and try wide open in a few weeks and report on how its doing here. View attachment 390010 View attachment 390011 View attachment 390012 View attachment 390013
The DMF has been known to fail, fail apart, get loose, etc.

Good to hear it all went together nicely. Yeah relearning to drive is right, I still catch myself lugging on take off from the LWFW, lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever post your experience with the clutch after break in? Need a new clutch and thinking about going full MFactory LSD, synchros, and stage 1 organic XClutch but I can’t find any info or reviews on the XClutch.
Thanks.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts