Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have a question, im planning on upgrading to a new clutch and single mass flywheel soon enough and I havent found much info (review) anywhere about the Xclutch and ACT street sprung kit and was wondering what would be the pros and cons of each and also personal opinion if anyone on here had run one of the two.

Since both clutch kit hold pretty much the same power, Im leaning more toward the Xclutch because i can get it 200 buck cheaper than the ACT and it also come with pressure plate bolts and flywheel bolts so i dont have to hunt them arround as if I would get the ACT, but i cant find any info on it, only on the twin disk clutch kit is there info on the RS forum but none of the single disk kit.

So long story short id like to know if anyone is running/have been running a Xclutch Single Disk with flywheel kit or an ACT street sprung with flywheel kit and id like opinion and review about em.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hey guys, I have a question, im planning on upgrading to a new clutch and single mass flywheel soon enough and I havent found much info (review) anywhere about the Xclutch and ACT street sprung kit and was wondering what would be the pros and cons of each and also personal opinion if anyone on here had run one of the two.

Since both clutch kit hold pretty much the same power, Im leaning more toward the Xclutch because i can get it 150 buck cheaper than the ACT and it also come with pressure plate bolts and flywheel bolts so i dont have to hunt them arround as if I would get the ACT, but i cant find any info on it, only on the twin disk clutch kit is there info on the RS forum but none of the single disk kit.

So long story short id like to know if anyone is running/have been running a Xclutch Single Disk with flywheel kit or an ACT street sprung with flywheel kit and id like opinion and review about em.

I dont know anything about those but I have a SPEC clutch kit and I cant recommend it enough. Except the stage2+ kit. Dont get that one.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know anything about those but I have a SPEC clutch kit and I cant recommend it enough. Except the stage2+ kit. Dont get that one.
ive heard too much horror story from spec clutch kit breaking and/or coming appart to go with any of their kit.

·
Administrator
13,319 Posts
ive heard too much horror story from spec clutch kit breaking and/or coming appart to go with any of their kit.
I'd go Xclutch. They are in cohoots with Mfactory/Synchrotech. I have been eyeing up their stuff for awhile.

Im running a Spec Stage 3+, and after having a Spec 2+ sprung hub break and their CS brush me off, i have very little faith in their products.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd go Xclutch. They are in cohoots with Mfactory/Synchrotech. I have been eyeing up their stuff for awhile.

Im running a Spec Stage 3+, and after having a Spec 2+ sprung hub break and their CS brush me off, i have very little faith in their products.
id also like to go xclutch because they seems good and is 200$ cheaper than the act but id just like to know some real world testing before biting the bullet haha, i dont wanna end up being the guinea pig and be dissapointed lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
id also like to go xclutch because they seems good and is 200$ cheaper than the act but id just like to know some real world testing before biting the bullet haha, i dont wanna end up being the guinea pig and be dissapointed lol
Somebodies gotta do it lol. Maybe be the guy for everyone else

·
Administrator
13,319 Posts
If you PM Mfactory on here, they may be able to cut you a better deal, that whole Canada thing may be the deal breaker though, lol

I would buy with confidence. They are no joke.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you PM Mfactory on here, they may be able to cut you a better deal, that whole Canada thing may be the deal breaker though, lol

I would buy with confidence. They are no joke.
yea i live in quebec, canada, so i doubt ill get a better price, our dollar suck + I need to pay duties and taxes when it crosses the border too which end up costing the same price or more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the ACT full kit including clutch, pressure plate, light weight flywheel, and throw out bearing, my only complaint is the throw out bearing (which is oddly enough a Ford stamped Part) clatters a little freewheeling in neutral. I have used ACT's stuff on other cars with great success and trouble free mileage, 10k later and still no problems with this one. Not that I have anything bad to say about the other company I just haven't used their stuff. I would add if you plan to upgrade the diff or proactively fix the synchros this would be the time to do it... I did my clutch cause the stocker was slipping and 7500 miles later 4th gear synchronizer failed..

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,348 Posts
@ultra321 the chatter is from your actual transmission gears. It's from the removal of the dual mass flywheel and replacement with a single mass. No harm, just a characteristic of the part change.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
@ultra321 the chatter is from your actual transmission gears. It's from the removal of the dual mass flywheel and replacement with a single mass. No harm, just a characteristic of the part change.
I run an ACT HD clutch bit factory flywheel. I get chatter in neutral. Push in the clutch an inch and it goes away. Chatter is common on aftermarket performance clutches.

That said i have in my lifetime only exedy and ACT between different vehicles. Both being top rated and premium aftermarket choices.
The upside is fewer complaints overall other brands.

The downside is it may have a premium price. But that premium is nothing compared to finding out about an underlying issue from a niche smaller company....

buy either product i dont think anyone has had both let enough enough folks to really give a good statistically valid set of responses.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,348 Posts
I run an ACT HD clutch bit factory flywheel. I get chatter in neutral. Push in the clutch an inch and it goes away. Chatter is common on aftermarket performance clutches.

That said i have in my lifetime only exedy and ACT between different vehicles. Both being top rated and premium aftermarket choices.
The upside is fewer complaints overall other brands.

The downside is it may have a premium price. But that premium is nothing compared to finding out about an underlying issue from a niche smaller company....

buy either product i dont think anyone has had both let enough enough folks to really give a good statistically valid set of responses.
Thats interesting... in my personal experience, i installed a SMF on my old jetta with a stock sachs clutch. And it had the chatter. Since then, installing other performance clutches and flywheels were always done together, so i just always blamed the single mass flywheel for the noise.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the ACT full kit including clutch, pressure plate, light weight flywheel, and throw out bearing, my only complaint is the throw out bearing (which is oddly enough a Ford stamped Part) clatters a little freewheeling in neutral. I have used ACT's stuff on other cars with great success and trouble free mileage, 10k later and still no problems with this one. Not that I have anything bad to say about the other company I just haven't used their stuff. I would add if you plan to upgrade the diff or proactively fix the synchros this would be the time to do it... I did my clutch cause the stocker was slipping and 7500 miles later 4th gear synchronizer failed..
My actual clutch and tranny syncro's are fine. My car only gets out in summer and barely has 69k kms after owning it since new in october 2013 and the trans got replaced for a failed syncro at 19k kms under warranty, so trans only has 50k kms or so, I just get an intermittent problem of having a hard time shifting into reverse or first (doeent wanna go in even when forcing it when car is running with foot all the way on the clutch pedal) and ive tried everything else, I have all solid motor mount, solid shifter cable end bushing, solid shifter transmission bracket bushing, solid shifter base bushing, upgraded clutch line to a braided stainless from master to slave, transmission shift arm from breedt, interior shift lever from boomba, and I also replaced the clutch master cylinder with a brand new revised unit from ford with the metal piston instead of a plastic one and also Bled the clutch countless time. and did the cable neutral adjustment many many times, When I bleed it, it fixes it for a lil bit then it start doing it again after lil while, even tho ive inspected everything for leakage, which I found none, at this point I told myself its either slave cylinder related or clutch pressure plate malfunctionning with the "auto adjust" in there since our pedal is non adjustable, so I said while im in there with the tranny removed why not replace the whole clutch setup with something upgraded, because at this point im at a loss with my problem lol (yes everything goes in fine when the engine is stopped)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I decided and went with the xclutch, will try and install it in the next month when i bring the car out of winter storage

·
Administrator
13,319 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Administrator
13,319 Posts
lets just hope I aint going to have the same problem as this guy, if you have time to read a lil and check out the photo he posted, that kinda scary Xtreme Clutch Single mass installation problem.

Seems like he's just a whiner, you're going to get clutch chatter on a single mass flywheel. It's what happens with every clutch when you ditch a dual mass.

There was nothing scary in that thread.

Reactions: W4R

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems like he's just a whiner, you're going to get clutch chatter on a single mass flywheel. It's what happens with every clutch when you ditch a dual mass.

There was nothing scary in that thread.
im not talking about the chatter, im talking about the picture he posted and that hotspot both on the clutch and flywheel after only a 1km test drive after installing the clutch, he said hes used to clutch chatter but that noise that it was making was 10 time worse, and those 2 picture with the hotspot scare me lol, kinda like a wrong instalation possibly ?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
talking about those:
Red Circle Automotive wheel system Engineering Auto part
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs

1 - 20 of 29 Posts