Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i have a focus st 2015 with 49000km since october 2015. I had all sorts of problems with the car since i have it (idling, paint chipping, etc) When a problem stops, an other is starting. I had repaint the hatchdoor twice, the rear driver fender and all doors are starting to bubbling... there is all kind of ratle... I love the driving experience but i always fear new issues...specially with the paint... starting looking for another car and I want your opinion between wrx and wrx sti..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Loved my WRX. Build quality just seemed higher. For example, I lost some coins today in my Focus when they rolled between two interior trim parts on my driver side door. Only way to get them is to take the door apart. Those dimes are now one with the Focus...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think it's just your st that have a lot of problems. I have 2014 focus st with 22k miles and I'm stage 3 the pass 5k miles and so far knock on wood I haven't had no issues what so ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Had a wrx :tongue: what a POS car. The clutch evaporated at 36.5K miles (500 miles over warranty). The steering rack leaked and while getting that replaced the steering angle sensor got screwed up. I dumped so much money into that thing and none of it was on mods. I sold that thing for a loss and drove a clunker for 6 months until I could get my ST.

·
Administrator
11,893 Posts
Yeah, Idk. Some ST's just seem to be built on a friday after lunch. Im getting close to 70k hard ass miles, and still not anything I didn't induce myself, lol. Great car in my book. Performance car takes performance level maintenance, but besides that it's still my favorite "spirited commuter"

I'd rather get an Evo than a Subaru, but you are asking a question that is way personal, without stating what you need/want from your next car.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
529 Posts
WRX is the better daily with a similar powerband to the ST. The STI is a rougher ride, but with better feeling transmission, steering, and suspension. Drive them both back to back and make your choice. I had an order for a WRX, but changed it to an STI after test driving them.

The RS would've been great, but harder to find a good deal on them, and the increase in rear passenger space was one of the biggest factors for me changing over. ST/RS just a bit too small unfortunately for my fam.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I haven't had my ST long enough to convince you to sell yours and buy a new one, BUT what I will say regarding wrx vs sti is what my friend told me when he got his 2017 wrx. Provided you're buying new, which you really kind of should with that car, the current gen wrx has the same 0-60 as the sti. So, depending on your budget, a base sti is 3-5k more than the limited wrx, you can save a few bucks and be just as quick minus speed and have a fully loaded wrx. I say buying new is best with these cars because people don't buy these cars to drive them lightly, they beat the piss out of them and sell them when they start to break. Regardless, test drive both and really ask yourself what you're looking for and if spending a few thousand more is worth it for you. Some people just buy the sti because it says "sti" and has a big wing

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I haven't had my ST long enough to convince you to sell yours and buy a new one, BUT what I will say regarding wrx vs sti is what my friend told me when he got his 2017 wrx. Provided you're buying new, which you really kind of should with that car, the current gen wrx has the same 0-60 as the sti. So, depending on your budget, a base sti is 3-5k more than the limited wrx, you can save a few bucks and be just as quick minus speed and have a fully loaded wrx. I say buying new is best with these cars because people don't buy these cars to drive them lightly, they beat the piss out of them and sell them when they start to break. Regardless, test drive both and really ask yourself what you're looking for and if spending a few thousand more is worth it for you. Some people just buy the sti because it says "sti" and has a big wing
Yeah when people today insist on buying Subaru I tell them the same, go WRX instead of the STI because with a $600 tune and a few bolt ons you'll be beating the STI anyway with the new much more efficient motor. Just don't get the WRX and plan to go over 300hp or you'll need to upgrade just about the entire drivetrain since they are so limited. For a fully bolted WRX though, it wipes the floor with the STI and drives wonderfully.

Edit: And if you REALLY want the wing, buy it and paint it. You'll still have a fully bolted and faster car with a STI wing for cheaper than buying the STI. Suspension is the only "not as good" part of the WRX.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Of the 3 awd sports car whatever's the Golf R is far and away the most superior of them all, at least in my opinion. Similar performance, but the interior and fit and finish just seems that much better. The RS is in its infancy so it has some growing pains and teething issues to get over, the STI is using the same motor from 2003, and the Golf R happens to fit in that sweet spot. All of that, I'd say go with the WRX if you want an affordable AWD car and the Golf R if you want to spend more. Regardless you very may well end up with a car that has issues. Go to any of those forums and there will be people swearing off the brand and looking into Ford or VW or Subaru. That's how I ended up in an ST, my WRX was a handful and wanted to try something else. Good luck with whatever you pick

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I had all sorts of problems with the car since i have it (idling, paint chipping, etc) When a problem stops, an other is starting. I had repaint the hatchdoor twice, the rear driver fender and all doors are starting to bubbling
If paint chipping is a major problem to you, then you need to stay far away from Subaru. I like having a Subaru, but it has the worst paint quality I have ever seen from an automaker. I am not saying the Ford paint is the greatest, but it is easily superior to Subaru paint.

If fit and finish are concerns, I would probably recommend VW to you. However, I would also caution you to save up for more serious mechanical and electrical issues should you go the VW route.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yeah when people today insist on buying Subaru I tell them the same, go WRX instead of the STI because with a $600 tune and a few bolt ons you'll be beating the STI anyway with the new much more efficient motor. Just don't get the WRX and plan to go over 300hp or you'll need to upgrade just about the entire drivetrain since they are so limited. For a fully bolted WRX though, it wipes the floor with the STI and drives wonderfully.

Edit: And if you REALLY want the wing, buy it and paint it. You'll still have a fully bolted and faster car with a STI wing for cheaper than buying the STI. Suspension is the only "not as good" part of the WRX.
My buddy with the WRX actually found out that the WRX and STI trunk from the factory cost the same. So he found a dude willing to swap and told the guy that his trunk didn't cost more than his and just swapped even. So if you can find an sti owner willing to swap then it's super easy. A full swap is recommended too because you need the torsion bars built for the extra weight of the wing. Swapping badges would be annoying though.

Of the 3 awd sports car whatever's the Golf R is far and away the most superior of them all, at least in my opinion. Similar performance, but the interior and fit and finish just seems that much better. The RS is in its infancy so it has some growing pains and teething issues to get over, the STI is using the same motor from 2003, and the Golf R happens to fit in that sweet spot. All of that, I'd say go with the WRX if you want an affordable AWD car and the Golf R if you want to spend more. Regardless you very may well end up with a car that has issues. Go to any of those forums and there will be people swearing off the brand and looking into Ford or VW or Subaru. That's how I ended up in an ST, my WRX was a handful and wanted to try something else. Good luck with whatever you pick
What about the golf r makes it superior? It costs the same as an STI and RS with less power and torque and I'm not sure if they allowed for traction control to be turned off or not. In a review video I saw posted in 2012 comparing ST and golf r, they couldn't take the golf r around their track because traction control was undefeatable and subbed in a BRZ. The RS in infancy is a good point, and so is the old engine for the sti, but, it still works. Personally, I would never buy a Golf R because the VW crowd just always has power in the back of their minds at best. It's form over function all day and the ones that do do power mods, will often still bag the car and put $2k wheels on it. To each their own, but it's certainly not for me and makes me boil over so much. Even if an overwhelming consensus told me the golf r was better than anything else on the market, I still wouldn't buy it simply because I don't want to be seen as a VW guy.

Here's the video about the golf r:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 14 ST almost full stage 3 at 64k zero issues... I've seen too many horror stories with Subaru involving the Impreza WRX and the WRX STI with ring land failure and losing oil pressure... best of luck to you though if that's the car you want.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is my main concern about the paint quality of Ford. I know that cars in this centurie have waterbase paint so its thinner and cheaper...making stone chips easier, but paint bubbling and cracking on a 'new' car... not acceptable

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
The new golf r has been improved over the previous. What makes it superior is the fact that it is more subtle and the interior is much nicer than the others. The STI and the RS look like imprezas and focuses on the inside. The golf R looks much nicer than a golf does.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I don't know why you think the WRX/STi is going to really be any better quality-wise...both the ST/RS and WRX/STi are still off of the platform of economy cars. Both companies use sub-par paint, cheap interior materials, etc. If you really want quality and don't mind paying for it, go for a GTI or Golf R. Both blow away the ST/RS/WRX/STi/EVO in quality. I'm personally not a fan of the styling but you can definitely tell that VW spent some money on the interior when you sit in one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts