Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Vendor
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Everything paid for except ecutek pro ecu and turbo rebuild.

Gonna tow it to the shop this week.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
454 Posts
So many puns, but I will just wish you good luck on this project. Recently my brother blew the engine in my car so I feel you.
What’re your plans? Get a engine out of a escape or something compatible..

·
Registered
2013 FOCUS ST
156 Posts
LOL, love the Subi hate.

My 01 WRX never missed a beat.
My sons '06 puts 220kw at all 4 and hasn't missed a beat in the 3 years he's had it. Stock internals.
I think the main difference is tune and whether you drive it hard or thrash it.

In saying that, my ST is on its 3rd engine......

·
Registered
281 Posts
LOL, love the Subi hate.

My sons '06 puts 220kw at all 4 and hasn't missed a beat in the 3 years he's had it. Stock internals.

I had a 92 legacy wagon, a 96 Impreza wagon, a 91 SVX, at least 3 other late 90s Imprezas, an 02 outback wagon, an 85 XT, another 92 legacy wagon, an 04 WRX wagon, and a few others I can't think of. Not a tune or an aftermarket anything in any of them and at least half of them committed suicide at some point. And no, it doesn't matter that most of those cars were purchased with 250k+ miles on them for $500 or less. THEY SHOULD HAVE NEVER DIED!!!!

And yes, this entire post was a reason for me to mention that I had an XT. Slowest goddamn spaceship in the world, but dang that thing was cool.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: MtnMan and TurboGT

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
1,128 Posts
What’re your plans? Get a engine out of a escape or something compatible..
already got this

waiting for install :giggle:

·
Vendor
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
LOL, love the Subi hate.

Sounds like you're needing a monster tune adapt-x file!

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
454 Posts
already got this

waiting for install :giggle:
Oh you’re coming back stronger that’s awesome.

Reactions: W4R

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yeah, Subaru's are known for being great cars... As long as you're talking about the non-turbo'd ones. I'd still love to have a Baja, but after 2 blown engines (custom dyno tuned) and 2 transmissions: IN BOTH ('09 and '11 WRX's), I had to leave that platform. I know they changed the engine since then though. I sure beat the snot out of them, but 40 miles away from home after a drive out to Arizona and back, 5th gear blew into 3 pieces. One of the pieces punched a hole in the gear box and leaked all the fluid out. I pulled over super fast and watched it drain... They denied warranty because apparently I was "pulling the parking brake while in 5th gear" :rolleyes:🤯 Obviously you're not talking warranty stuff, but I had 293 whp on both (+/- 5whp, all same mods) and it just didn't last for a $30k car. I certainly wish you much better luck than I had with them! They're super fun, when they're running =-D

·
Vendor
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
WRX is at the shop now with new motor, clutch and I sent my turbo off to my turbo vendor that used to build our hybrid turbos to give me the +100hp turbo treatment.

Also we are now an ecutek master tuner for subaru. Going to build a basemap to get 800-1000 miles on the car, and then will turn it up to 450 awhp~ when the motor is broken in.

Rectangle Gadget Table Font Eyewear

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Ok I have no idea what this hybrid turbo is. Info? I know what a sequential turbo is but unsure what a hybrid turbo is. Heck, I would love to be able to remote mount my turbo in my ST.
Stock turbo, aka exterior dimensions are all the same but they do some magic to the inside. Fit in larger and/or stronger or easier to spin bits inside. So from the outside, it's still 100% plug and play like the oem one but able to get more performance out of them. Normally that performance is found more in the midrange vs a larger turbo that gives you more top end, you will still see some gains up top but not like you would from a physically larger turbo. Benefit is they are usually more affordable than doing a new big turbo.

I'm not a fan of hybrids on the focus platform but other cars can see some nice reliable gains. If I ever get into a b58 bmw, I'll probably go hybrid. Can get 500whp+ on regular pump gas and some have pushed into 600s with ethanol/meth tunes.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts