Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see the ice on the road. Was coming down a hill to go into a right and left turn (S turn). Turned right and went to turn left and just went straight off the road and down a small hill and then over about a 6' drop. The car took a good slam over the drop. Something was hissing at the front. Not sure if it was the radiator or something with the a/c. The bumper is f'd. So is the intercooler. The under body panels were tore off. With the hit the car took I couldn't believe the air bags didn't deploy. The second picture is the drop I went over. With the hit the car took it has me worried about the structural integrity of the frame/unibody whatever these cars are.
And the bad part is I have to be in Houston Texas on the 23rd and I can't get the insurance adjuster to talk to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
You live in Central KY don't you?
If so send me a DM.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Dang man that sucks. You good? Anyone else with you and are they good?

I guess it's not a bad thing those trees weren't there...that might have hurt a little more than the drop did. Black ice sucks.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Cartoon Animated cartoon Bird Photo caption Adaptation

Seriously, hope you and the car are ok.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
damn that nasty ice, sorry bud.

RALLY LIFE! HA couldn't help my self. Your car probably won't be fixed by the 23rd but your insurance hopefully includes rental coverage.

edit: oh look, lucky post number 777

Reactions: elyk864

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Sorry for the accident. Happens to the best of us. Ice is an absolute killer.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm fine and I had no passengers. Was on my way to work at 7 a.m. My back was a bit sore but I'll live. I have mixed emotions about the car being totalled. On one had I want it to be because I'm afraid this incident will have long term issues that can't be found. And on the other I'm quite found of the car and have become attached to it.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I'm glad Jesse.

I hope everything works out for you. You add alot to this community; I'd hate to see you go.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You zigged when you should have zagged. No worries as long as you're okay.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Having winter tires helps alot. I have some traction on ice where with all seasons I've had none. Rubber helps alot and so does experience. None the less, ice is the most challenging surface. I've wrecked a car on ice when I was younger.....it's easy to do.

Reactions: CDB

·
Registered
475 Posts
Aw man!!! I feel your pain. Glad your ok! Love my ST and would have replaced it had they totaled it after my little mishap. That being said, I've actually been thinking about upgrading to the RS :popped out:

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Aw man!!! I feel your pain. Glad your ok! Love my ST and would have replaced it had they totaled it after my little mishap. That being said, I've actually been thinking about upgrading to the RS :popped out:
To a 2018 version or are you unafraid of the potential Head Gasket issues on the 2017 and earlier models?

·
Registered
237 Posts
That sucks! Been there, used to work in DC and there's ice in the area all the time in the colder months. Drove home to Virginia careful as can be, made it to my own driveway in my Jeep Wrangler and the last turn was under some trees. The shade made for an extra coat of ice; I tried everything, correct this way, correct that way, pump the brakes, tried throwing out the anchor (metaphor), and I still slid sideways into a small pine tree about ten feet from my property. It was all cosmetic damage but still cost me over $500 to fix. Snow is not so bad but ice is miserable. Hope it works out as best as possible for you.

·
Registered
475 Posts
To a 2018 version or are you unafraid of the potential Head Gasket issues on the 2017 and earlier models?
I need to do some research on that head gasket issue, price point I'm looking at the 17 because I know there's a lot of them thats been sitting for a long time. Is this head gasket issue fixable or is it like the idle dip that they can't figure out?

I keep telling myself I don't need an RS, we've been back and forth several times lol

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I'm no expert, but I read all 280+ pages of the head gasket failure thread on the FocusRS.org forum and from my understanding all vehicles prior to the 2018 Model Year are susceptible to the issue. It's believed (though not 100% proven since Ford hasn't responded) that there are a couple of issues. 1. The wrong Head Gasket was used on a number of vehicles. 2. The machining of the head was not to the standards necessary. These issues are causing coolant to leak into the cylinders after a period of time.

Truth is that even though there isn't a recall for the coolant/Head Gasket issue that Ford is covering the expense of fixing/replacing the engine under warranty for those that suffer from the coolant issue. Many that are tuned have also been covered under warranty as long as this is the issue that occurred (ie not a blown piston which is unrealated to this particular issue).

Reactions: CaliJoe

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The estimate only came to $4,500.00 but that's replacing my depo intercooler with a factory one and that's not happening. Depo is out of stock so it looks like I'll attempt to get a cpe. There's no way the car will be done before I'll need to head south so I guess I'll be renting a car.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also I requested to have everything damaged replaced with OEM parts, not aftermarket and the lady said some insurance companies will not approve OEM parts. Is that true? I thought the insurance company had to replace what was existing?

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
Also I requested to have everything damaged replaced with OEM parts, not aftermarket and the lady said some insurance companies will not approve OEM parts. Is that true? I thought the insurance company had to replace what was existing?

Did the insurance say that or the shop? If it was the shop I would find another. Also, some insurance companies will cover up to a certain amount on aftermarket mods. They won't replace them, but they will give you cash for the parts damaged and you can use it to replace them.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did the insurance say that or the shop? If it was the shop I would find another. Also, some insurance companies will cover up to a certain amount on aftermarket mods. They won't replace them, but they will give you cash for the parts damaged and you can use it to replace them.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
The lady at the shop said some insurance companies won't approve OEM parts.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts