Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my ST in Feb so this is my first summer with it. I am full stage 3 bolt ons, E85 tuned. Absolutely love the power my car has so far. That is until yesterday... It was 95 degrees out and my ST felt so slow. I mean really slow... Merging on the highway in 3rd gear was painful. I honestly thought something was wrong and was going to mention it in my data log review.
However, I woke up today to go to work and it was 61 out. My car felt totally different. So much more power from yesterday and the only explanation I have is that it was just dogging in the heat. I have an upgraded intercooler but when it's 95 out it can only do so much. I'm sure most cars dog a little in the heat but this was something else. Anyone else experience anything similar?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had exactly the same thought today driving home in the afternoon, about 92 degrees. I've always experienced this with small displacement manual gearbox cars. That hot humid air just robs power, and until that turbo spools up you're going to feel it. I just always try to remind myself that come fall, I'll be grinning from ear to ear.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Interesting. I've had no issues with 100 degree heat thus far. In fact, with the roads and tires nice and warmed up it is even easier to hook up and just go.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Levels intercooler. and Stage 2 tuned.. I ran home today in 95+ and AC was on and it was a little lagging because of A/C but otherwise the car pulled as normal. I normally don't get on it with A/C but it was one of those drives home where I just couldn't take people being in my way LOL :furious:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I noticed this too the other day when it was about 97degrees out and I had already been driving around for a while.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've been planning meth injection strictly for cooling (not tuning and becoming fuel dependent) for these reasons. An intercooler will never get below ambient temperatures.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Depo FMIC here and even with ambient being in the 90's CAT stay within 3* of that. I have actually had the air be so humid that CAT was lower than ambient. Either way she still pulls hard even out of boost weather.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Mine definitely isn't as spunky during the afternoon heat as it is during my morning drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts
Levels intercooler. and Stage 2 tuned.. I ran home today in 95+ and AC was on and it was a little lagging because of A/C but otherwise the car pulled as normal. I normally don't get on it with A/C but it was one of those drives home where I just couldn't take people being in my way LOL :furious:
The A.C. should not have much effect; the compressor disengages when you open up the throttle.

·
Registered
917 Posts
It's been in the triple digits here, but obviously a dry heat. I've found that the high temperature's affect on my car is compounded by the sh*tty Cali 91 fuel I'm stuck with. However I throw in some octane booster every now and again. I did this on my last fill up a couple days ago and notice my negative corrections clear right up even in the heat of the day with the A/C on blast. So all things considered I think my car handles it well and I don't notice much of a loss in power. I also credit my COBB intercooler/charge pipes and my Stratified tune.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Doesn't matter what kind of intercooler you are running. If the temps are 90+, you will lose performance. Obviously, those with more efficient intercoolers will see less of a drop when compared to those of us with not so efficient ones, but still the power drop is huge. Alex at Stratified showed just how much of a drop we experience in high heat. Living in Florida, I've gotten used to the ****ty performance during the day and enjoyed the power at night when temps drop.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have heard from one of our forum tuners that the ST actually does well in the heat and doesn't react negatively like many other turbo cars.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Yes, cars with snails suffer in the heat, performance wise. Having said that in 6 years with my speed and 2 years with my first ST, I noticed it exactly once in hot weather. 96 degree humid day, pulling away from a light, and my speed was slower than a rascal scooter.

So, not too bad, methinks.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I have heard from one of our forum tuners that the ST actually does well in the heat and doesn't react negatively like many other turbo cars.
lol wut? Heat Soak is a huge issue for the ST because of the baby turbo...

When ambient temps are 90*...you will lose power..

end of story.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
This is my first summer with my Depo FMIC. So far it is much better than the stock garbage it came with. Wer have see several days above 90 here and 1 or 1 above 100. I feel a slight dip in power, but I know it is just froim the heat. I also don;t run my ST hard in those temps. Just comes with the territory.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts