Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had alot people recomend this stuff. My only concern is will it dammage the turbo. I cant see why a company would market a product that's just gonna deatroy peoples engines, on acount of that not looking good from a business stand point. Any info or comments would be gratefuly appreciated. Thanks everyone for all the help with all this. A guy wishes there was a way to give back to you all.

·
Super Moderator
10,084 Posts
I have had alot people recomend this stuff. My only concern is will it dammage the turbo. I cant see why a company would market a product that's just gonna deatroy peoples engines, on acount of that not looking good from a business stand point. Any info or comments would be gratefuly appreciated. Thanks everyone for all the help with all this. A guy wishes there was a way to give back to you all. View attachment 394299
I have used it; you have to introduce the spray after the turbo. I use the port on my symposer delete. Not as good as manual cleaning the valves, but much better than no cleaning at all. I could see it damaging the turbo if huge chunks of carbon came flying off of ridiculously caked valves, but it more or less softens the carbon so it disolves and burns away.

Reactions: ST1Dale

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have used it; you have to introduce the spray after the turbo. I use the port on my symposer delete. Not as good as manual cleaning the valves, but much better than no cleaning at all. I could see it damaging the turbo if huge chunks of carbon came flying off of ridiculously caked valves, but it more or less softens the carbon so it disolves and burns away.
Bet man thank you i dont think its that bad i think if i do it regularly each oil change it would work great over time

·
Registered
102 Posts
I pulled off my manifold and used this with a light brush to not scare the valves. It worked pretty well, didn't get everything and did take a while, but like ddfred said better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
I sprayed it in pre turbo lol, it’s been fine honestly.

It didn’t clean the valves though, maybe if you used it like a few times in a row

I wouldn’t spray it into the turbo again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,611 Posts
I got my car about 36,000 miles. I ran 1 can through intake preturbo. Looked at intake valves after, not great.

Added PCV catch can and ran another can through symposer delete.

We'll see what they look like this fall when I add radium PCV plate and decide whether or not to do the brass brush and alcohol clean. Sounds better than walnut shells. Will try using an old shop vac with added can to catch the gunk it sucks out. Should hit 50,000 by then.

Edit:
If you use the CRC stuff, the slower you go, the better results you should get, according to other stuff I read on the internet 😊😁

·
Registered
246 Posts
I dont like this **** for a few reasons.

1. That carbon buildup under your valves is like, rock hard. If you've ever cleaned a well used rifle you'll know what I'm talking about. The stuff doesnt just wipe or spray off.

2. If it does manage to come off, it usually comes off in chunks. Chunks that then fall down into your cylinders and get cycled through your system.

I just dont see this stuff doing a very good job cleaning valves simply by being sprayed into the intake, and even if it did, what happens after the valves would be less than desirable anyways solid recommend against it.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,611 Posts
Well, you don't know if you haven't tried it.
I'm still skeptical too, but no turbo or valve issues either after using it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont like this **** for a few reasons.

1. That carbon buildup under your valves is like, rock hard. If you've ever cleaned a well used rifle you'll know what I'm talking about. The stuff doesnt just wipe or spray off.

2. If it does manage to come off, it usually comes off in chunks. Chunks that then fall down into your cylinders and get cycled through your system.

I just dont see this stuff doing a very good job cleaning valves simply by being sprayed into the intake, and even if it did, what happens after the valves would be less than desirable anyways solid recommend against it.
I gave it a shot and so far so good the way i understand it is this stuff gets absorbed into the carbon and softens it up so it can be safly burned off it helped the surging and helped alittle with miss fire on start up im gonna run another can through it then start doing it eveey so offten that way it cant get worse.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I pulled off my manifold and used this with a light brush to not scare the valves. It worked pretty well, didn't get everything and did take a while, but like ddfred said better than nothing.
I ran it threw per the instructions it seemed to help alittle im gonna do it a few more times then like once eveey 20k miles or so just to keep on top of it i would just pull the intake and clean them by hand with a brass brush and some solvents but i only have one day a week off and i like to spend it doin things i wanna do lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I guess add a catch can after a professional blast could be the ultimate solution to this, but I haven't yet tried.

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
801 Posts
If you've got more than 20,000 miles since your last valve clean you really should be walnut blasting.

I had 40,000 miles on a cylinder head and like Tclay mentioned, its like big hard chunks of carbon. Not easy to get off. I let it soak in the Valve cleaner all night then still had to use a screwdriver to get the big stuff off. I then walnut blasted to get down the backs of the valves.

For how much gunk gets built up on the backs of the valves I definitely can understand why its part of regular maintenance. I'm sure it hurts MPG/power...

I'm running water meth partially for this reason. I don't want that crap building up on my valves again. I'm sure it slows them down.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I guess add a catch can after a professional blast could be the ultimate solution to this, but I haven't yet tried.
Or just buy corksport's valve cleaner tool, a bag of walnut media, and DIY.
The tool makes it very easy.
Its pretty expensive to pay a shop to do it. For how easy it is to take the manifold off, I'd just spend the $50 for corksport's tool.

Reactions: 20XX

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems to have helped it isn't surging anymore under load it still misses at start up im gonna do a few more cans if i dont notice a difference ill take the intake off and have a look thanks for your input
If you've got more than 20,000 miles since your last valve clean you really should be walnut blasting.

I had 40,000 miles on a cylinder head and like Tclay mentioned, its like big hard chunks of carbon. Not easy to get off. I let it soak in the Valve cleaner all night then still had to use a screwdriver to get the big stuff off. I then walnut blasted to get down the backs of the valves.

For how much gunk gets built up on the backs of the valves I definitely can understand why its part of regular maintenance. I'm sure it hurts MPG/power...

I'm running water meth partially for this reason. I don't want that crap building up on my valves again. I'm sure it slows them down.
As far as i know its never been serviced, and its got 102k on it. i wanted to avoid at all cost taking it apart, cause i dont have the time and my guy that i use for big stuff that i cant do in my drive way won't touch it. he keeps telling me its normal for it to miss and surge and have a cel on. Everything im seeing and reading points to a carbon issue. it was confirmed after i used that first can and the surging went away.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
It seems to have helped it isn't surging anymore under load it still misses at start up im gonna do a few more cans if i dont notice a difference ill take the intake off and have a look thanks for your input

As far as i know its never been serviced, and its got 102k on it. i wanted to avoid at all cost taking it apart, cause i dont have the time and my guy that i use for big stuff that i cant do in my drive way won't touch it. he keeps telling me its normal for it to miss and surge and have a cel on. Everything im seeing and reading points to a carbon issue. it was confirmed after i used that first can and the surging went away.
Yeah is part of regular maintenance for GDI vehicles.
carbon on valves does two things 1) restricts cylinder head.. sometimes significantly
2) it weighs down the valves. Which becomes a big problem eventually. There's a reason titanium valves are part of high performance builds. They move super fast and need to be as light as possible.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah is part of regular maintenance for GDI vehicles.
carbon on valves does two things 1) restricts cylinder head.. sometimes significantly
2) it weighs down the valves. Which becomes a big problem eventually. There's a reason titanium valves are part of high performance builds. They move super fast and need to be as light as possible.
Sad thing is now a days no one cares. They just wanna get in and go. But then when there is a problem from lack of proper maintance, first thing anyone dose is blame the manufacturer for making bad vehicles. When really alot of problems would be easily avoidable with proper maintenance.

·
Registered
2016 ST3 Race Red
64 Posts
My exhaust tip has so much carbon built that I can try this CRC can and see how it works, before I try it on the valves.

Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone around me that does the walnut blasting for a reasonable price and I don't have the tools/ability to do it myself.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My exhaust tip has so much carbon built that I can try this CRC can and see how it works, before I try it on the valves.

Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone around me that does the walnut blasting for a reasonable price and I don't have the tools/ability to do it myself.
Im in the same position every one i talk to and even my guy i use for bigger stuff says there's nothing wrong with it so no one will work on it. My tips have alot of cabon to i wasent sure if it was just mine cause of how it runs on start up.

·
Super Moderator
10,084 Posts
Im in the same position every one i talk to and even my guy i use for bigger stuff says there's nothing wrong with it so no one will work on it. My tips have alot of cabon to i wasent sure if it was just mine cause of how it runs on start up.
All direct injection engines put out a lot of soot in the exhaust, completely normal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts