Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody,
I've seen a few posts over the past few months discussing potential candidates to replace the ST. It appears the the common choices are the Golf/Golf R, Focus RS and the Veloster N, which are all in the same general hatchback category and act more as similar but a little different option. So would you rather stick with a hatchback for your next daily driver or go with something different and why. Can be new or used.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Hey Everybody,
I've seen a few posts over the past few months discussing potential candidates to replace the ST. It appears the the common choices are the Golf/Golf R, Focus RS and the Veloster N, which are all in the same general hatchback category and act more as similar but a little different option. So would you rather stick with a hatchback for your next daily driver or go with something different and why. Can be new or used.
I'd go for a 340i M-Perfomance saloon or a Hyundai i30 N Fastback.

·
Registered
613 Posts
So would you rather stick with a hatchback for your next daily driver or go with something different and why.
My FoST is an autocross car, not a daily driver. However, yes, since I travel for autocrossing, I'd stick with a hatchback since it allows me to carry 4 tires, floorjack, small toolbox, helmet & other autocross gear, a folding bicycle, small cooler, clothing for a couple nights, and still have room for a passenger and their luggage.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The prices on the FoRS are what keeps me from buying one. Any one-owner RS with under 10k Miles is 35k+ fees. So, roughly 40k down the toilet makes it a tough pill to swallow for me. Almost bought one last weekend but backed out at the last minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
Now, if you want a sleeper that’s fast as hell & blends in with traffic, then the Golf R is a good choice because it basically looks the same as a GTI but with nicer wheels but it’s going to cost you 35k.

As far as the Veloster N goes, nah pass, still FWD & IMO the FoST looks much nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
The last time I had a non-hatchback I had a new 1999 Honda Prelude. I loved the car but hated the small opening for the trunk. There's nothing like the versatility of a hatchback. That's why there's so many SUVs on the road. (Shhh...don't call it a hatchback).

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I actually just jumped ship to a Golf R. It's a great step up and I did it for a few reasons:

I track and daily the car but I couldn't get past boiling the brakes every time I tracked the car and I was afraid the brake torque vectoring was going to always give issues. So gave up on throwing money at it.

The Golf R has a ton of aftermarket support (mostly more expansive than the FoST/FoRS) and more support than Veloster N of course. An APR stage 1 tune and boom, 80hp more. You won't even get that with full bolt on with the tiny snail in the FoST.

I was between an Audi S3 and a Golf R, but went with the R because of the hatchback. Like mentioned before, I just find it more useful to pack for track days and really any other day. Now I haven't measured it and this isn't scientific, but I believe the Golf E is smaller overall than the ST. The ST seats also folded down completely flat, which was nice too.

The Golf R I think is overall the most solid platform out of all of those options, especially if autocross or tracking.

·
Registered
528 Posts
In the Netherlands everyone that wants to show off and thinks he/she is a big shot, uses (i dont call it driving) a vw Golf. For me anything other than a golf, is a good choise

·
Registered
503 Posts
I like small cars, so I'd probably try to find something similar in size. Out of those choices, I'd probably go Golf R followed by Veloster N. No interest in owning another Ford so the RS is out. If I had big baller money though, I'd get an RS3.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts