Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm really not wanting to waste a perfectly good O2 sensor since I don't deal with inspections in my state so I was think about just simply getting a removable bung plug and simply unplugging the O2 sensor all together. This way I don't have to worry about needing to replace the sensor if I ever need to revert it back to catted. The O2 senor is tunned by Stratified for not ready currently.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Stratified doesn't disable the sensor, as they need it for tuning. When you don't have emissions testing in your state, they can just adjust the tune so it doesn't throw the CEL.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
This question should be asked directly to Strat and could have a very negative effect if you need the sensor for tuning but remove it without their input.

I have never heard of anyone removing the sensor completely. if you are worried about it fouling, get a defouler, it is what you are supposed to do for catless, not sure why so many skip this step and spend money over and over on new 02 sensors

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
The sensor is there for a reason, I would keep it there. If it has nothing to do with weight reduction leave it alone, for more information ask your tuner or mechanic.
BAHAHAHAHAH weight reduction #becauseracecar

·
Registered
917 Posts
OP I assume you are referencing the downstream O2 sensor, correct? Like others have said, check with Stratified first, but it should have no bearing on your tune or performance. However; the upstream O2 sensor, is crucial to both I believe.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
524 Posts
This question should be asked directly to Strat and could have a very negative effect if you need the sensor for tuning but remove it without their input.

I have never heard of anyone removing the sensor completely. if you are worried about it fouling, get a defouler, it is what you are supposed to do for catless, not sure why so many skip this step and spend money over and over on new 02 sensors
This is a misconception. The term defouler is associated with the o2 sensor because people use spark plug defoulers to dilute the downstream o2 sensor and trick the ecu into thinking there is a catalytic converter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
An after-cat o2 sensor has absolutley no bearing to engine performance. How would it even see fuel mixture after the cat. Tuner can turn it off in the tune to get rid of the check engine light, but if you need to pass emissions you need to leave it on and use an o2 spacer. This is true for just aout every other platform.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts