Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to purchase a mountune air filter for my 2013 St and was wondering, would the symposer delete affect or reverse the sound additive caused by the filter?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Your question confuses me a bit, but I will try to answer it. If you change the air filter and leave the lid on, you will barely notice or not notice any change in sound. If you do the SS delete the artificial sound will no longer be pumped into the cabin, thus lowering the volume in the car. I am not sure what you mean by reverse. I have run two different filters (Green Filter & AEM Dryflow) and if I leave the lid off I get more turbo noise which is nice, but with the lid on I can barely hear the new filter. I also have the SS delete. I mainly did my delete because I didn't like the artificial sound of the engine and once I got an exhaust it was two competing sounds and sounded awful.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Two different things.

Your air filter will have a bit more noise from the driver side of your engine bay as your turbo spools up, especially if your air intake box lid is off (don't do this if you want maximum power from the stock airbox). The symposer delete removes the piped in sound from your engine bay that Ford pipes through your stereo speakers.

To summarize, the source of the the sounds are different. They will come from different parts of your car. They will sound different. One does note reverse the other.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Two different things.

Your air filter will have a bit more noise from the driver side of your engine bay as your turbo spools up, especially if your air intake box lid is off (don't do this if you want maximum power from the stock airbox). The symposer delete removes the piped in sound from your engine bay that Ford pipes through your stereo speakers.

To summarize, the source of the the sounds are different. They will come from different parts of your car. They will sound different. One does note reverse the other.
ST doesn't pump sound over the speakers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two different things.

Alright sounds good. I wasnt sure since one takes intake noise and the other amplifies, but I can see how they wouldn't interfere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts