Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Is it safe to WOT for the occasional spirited driving if OAR is stable but not at -1.00?
What about if sometimes WOT makes OAR lower, sometimes higher, but regular daily driving with half throttle is constantly boosting the OAR number?
When its stated that the car will adjust according to the fuel, does that mean timing gets adjusted and fully adjusted to fuel means -1.00 OAR or does it mean a stable OAR means that it has fully adjusted?

I have knock on pretty much all WOT pulls. The timing always jumps down with each knock, slowly climb back up until it reaches another knock. I live in Cali and seem to be around only crappy 91. Rarely do I ever see the cylinders completely in sync with each other. I seem to have read that most people are at -1 and have virtually no knock at WOT. When I went on a trip a few months back, I went back to stock and datalogged it... my golly the negative corrections on WOT were crazy.

On my baseline tune, I got a datalog review and so some timing got pulled to account for my fuel. This will be my travel tune. I also just received an updated 91/e30 combo tune with some mods. The 91 is fine, but I think I'm probably going to have to get some timing pulled once I submit my datalog for review again (waiting to see if I want to do another few pulls, in which case, I need to run down the e30 mixture). The e30 tune really helps a lot but knock is still prevalent in almost all my WOT.

The roads around here are in pretty crappy condition, the fuel around is is pretty bad, and my RMM may be contributing a little so I'm just trying to err on the side of caution. The 1 step colder NGK plugs at 0.026 and intercooler did help it a lot though I think.

I'm almost tempted to remove my RMM to see if it would help with the knocking, but if memory serves me right, the RMM actually helped slightly on the road I used to do my pulls on (used to be on the -4 side fairly often, but after RMM, went to around -2 at most). Going to retorque them down this weekend. I'm not handy with tools so everything takes me twice as long haha.

Anyway, Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi guys,

Is it safe to WOT for the occasional spirited driving if OAR is stable but not at -1.00?
What about if sometimes WOT makes OAR lower, sometimes higher, but regular daily driving with half throttle is constantly boosting the OAR number?
When its stated that the car will adjust according to the fuel, does that mean timing gets adjusted and fully adjusted to fuel means -1.00 OAR or does it mean a stable OAR means that it has fully adjusted?

I have knock on pretty much all WOT pulls. The timing always jumps down with each knock, slowly climb back up until it reaches another knock. I live in Cali and seem to be around only crappy 91. Rarely do I ever see the cylinders completely in sync with each other. I seem to have read that most people are at -1 and have virtually no knock at WOT. When I went on a trip a few months back, I went back to stock and datalogged it... my golly the negative corrections on WOT were crazy.

On my baseline tune, I got a datalog review and so some timing got pulled to account for my fuel. This will be my travel tune. I also just received an updated 91/e30 combo tune with some mods. The 91 is fine, but I think I'm probably going to have to get some timing pulled once I submit my datalog for review again (waiting to see if I want to do another few pulls, in which case, I need to run down the e30 mixture). The e30 tune really helps a lot but knock is still prevalent in almost all my WOT.

The roads around here are in pretty crappy condition, the fuel around is is pretty bad, and my RMM may be contributing a little so I'm just trying to err on the side of caution. The 1 step colder NGK plugs at 0.026 and intercooler did help it a lot though I think.

I'm almost tempted to remove my RMM to see if it would help with the knocking, but if memory serves me right, the RMM actually helped slightly on the road I used to do my pulls on (used to be on the -4 side fairly often, but after RMM, went to around -2 at most). Going to retorque them down this weekend. I'm not handy with tools so everything takes me twice as long haha.

Anyway, Thanks!

Hi there! It does not sound like you have anything to be concerned about, some knock is to be expected at WOT, read this if you have not already:

Blog : Understanding knock and ignition corrections in your Ecoboost powered Ford : Stratified Automotive Controls

As for the OAR, if it peggs at -1 that just means you COULD request a refinement and squeeze a bit more timing advance in - you sound like you are in a similar situation as me, where the 91oct BLOWS. Strat asked me to add 1 gal of e85 to a 91 tank and run the 91 tune, sure enough I hit -1 right away - so when we did a tune adjustment we pulled a bit of timing from the 91 tune and left the e30 tune alone.

When I got my first tune from Strat it seems that -1 was the target, however their wording changed a bit in a more recent revision I got from them, it was as follows:

-------

Oct Adj Ratio Lrn (Octane Adjust Ratio - OAR): This parameter is learned and will evolve as you drive. It is an indicator of how the tune is performing against the modifications installed and fuel octane used. The target is to maintain an OAR somewhere between 0 and -1. It does not have to be at -1. If it is at -1, it means that the tune is able to maximize its learned performance. Use this as a gauge for the fuel you are using and the performance of the tune with that fuel. If you see this trend towards +1 it is an indication that the tune is too aggressive for the octane available so either higher octane must be used or the tune adjusted. It is NOT recommended to use 87 octane with a performance tune such as this one. Keep in mind that we can both adjust for poor fuel quality/excessive knock or add performance based on datalogs from your vehicle if you purchase a Datalog Refinement.

--------

So dont sweat it if you are not at -1, especially since you know your fuel sucks, thats what the OAR is for, to adjust for that :) As long as you are seeing your timing recover and not trend negative, and continue negative on pulls (or your OAR start to trend into the positive space, IMO you are fine :))

1 - 2 of 2 Posts