Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been in the car game for a while now and have never seen this in my life. I love my FoST, but this issue has me taking my car to the dealer like every other couple of weeks. So when I first got the car I felt something weird in turbo where the turbo is spooling, but no boost is going to the engine. So i took it to the dealer. They told me it was the intake camshaft. Ok made no sense cause the camshaft deals with timing, So the car needs to go in for timing every couple of months. So forwarding like 2 more weeks I install the bomb BOV and the car does it once, but pops up with an overboost. Took it to the dealer and they notice an aftermarket waste gate, but tell me my BOV is fine. After I get the car they install a new turbo, but tell me that my BOV is possibly the reason for my overboost. Makes no sense, but I haven't put the BOV back since. Now I'm like a month in after the new turbo and the car is back to where I started not taking boost from the turbo. Any body ever have that issue with their ST?

·
Registered
196 Posts
So I've been in the car game for a while now and have never seen this in my life. I love my FoST, but this issue has me taking my car to the dealer like every other couple of weeks. So when I first got the car I felt something weird in turbo where the turbo is spooling, but no boost is going to the engine. So i took it to the dealer. They told me it was the intake camshaft. Ok made no sense cause the camshaft deals with timing, So the car needs to go in for timing every couple of months. So forwarding like 2 more weeks I install the bomb BOV and the car does it once, but pops up with an overboost. Took it to the dealer and they notice an aftermarket waste gate, but tell me my BOV is fine. After I get the car they install a new turbo, but tell me that my BOV is possibly the reason for my overboost. Makes no sense, but I haven't put the BOV back since. Now I'm like a month in after the new turbo and the car is back to where I started not taking boost from the turbo. Any body ever have that issue with their ST?
You should check out this thread. http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...ention-focus-st-bypass-valve-information.html

If I recall correctly, the boost control solenoid is general the cause of valve issues and not the valves themselves.

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I understand the job of the BPV, but is it basically saying that putting a BOV is not safe for the ST when it's stock?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
So I understand the job of the BPV, but is it basically saying that putting a BOV is not safe for the ST when it's stock?
I didn't get that from that read. I do know a lot of people on here are running an aftermarket BOV with no issues, including myself. Also, if you're tuned, your tuning company can make certain adjustments for your particular BOV/BPV.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
if you are having issues with the car why would you go modding it, even a BOV? figure the car out or the dealer is going to leave you high and dry... surprised this didn't. I have seen dealer get out of doing warranty work over a BOV.

my thought... keep the car 100% stock tell you get the kinks out of it, even then why bother with a noise maker? literally only thing it is doing it make a noise. you really want to draw attention to your car? "HEY GUYS CHECK OUT MY STOCK ST!" sorry just not a fan of BOVs, think they sound annoying on these cars... I love BOVs on say a Supra!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
yeah put the car to stock and get it fixed before you get screwed out of warranty work, I doesn't seem like one of the mods causing the issue.

if you put a big turbo and tial BOV on the charge pipe or intercooler you should get that chuff sound supra and skyline make, I think.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To each their own when it comes to the opinion of the BOV. I understand the issue there. Some people like the sound, some don't. What I wanted to know was has anyone experienced just the general issue of the turbo not boosting the engine every now and then. Not what car does a BOV sound good on or not. Or what you prefer. I plan on modding the car and that was my choice of mod first I like the sound and that's that. Now can I please read reasons why the BOV affected my car or why this may have happened to your car somewhere along the lines of my problem?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you are having issues with the car why would you go modding it, even a BOV? figure the car out or the dealer is going to leave you high and dry... surprised this didn't. I have seen dealer get out of doing warranty work over a BOV.

my thought... keep the car 100% stock tell you get the kinks out of it, even then why bother with a noise maker? literally only thing it is doing it make a noise. you really want to draw attention to your car? "HEY GUYS CHECK OUT MY STOCK ST!" sorry just not a fan of BOVs, think they sound annoying on these cars... I love BOVs on say a Supra!
And just to make you more surprised the thing with after market parts is you got to be sure and see if your dealer or any dealer near you is fine with aftermarket parts. And you have to also remember it's a bolt on part so it's easily reversible. It's not like I put a new engine. So to answer your shocking question my dealer was fine with me putting a BOV.

·
Registered
100 Posts
this is a friendly forum for advice from fellow members not a repair diagnostic service fyi. Seems you just joined the forum and come in here demanding answers to a vague issue, is your gauge showing boost pressure? It would also make sense to put your stock valve back on while you are diagnosing issues with boost. and if you demand to the point answers that satisfy you I am sure there is a performance shop around where you live that you can pay for diagnostic work :)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Good luck... hope your engine doesn't blow up. cause I wouldn't ever wish that on anyone. ;)

also isn't my opinion that a aftermarket part can be causing an issue. BOV can be a number one reason for a boost leak... who knows but I am not sure why you would be modding the car even if it is only a BOV if you are having issues. doesn't help matters at all.

A good dealer will be able to figure it out. a smart dealer would tell you to put back in the stock valve before touching it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which is what I did. And I'm not demanding I just wanted to see if anybody has ever experienced that in their time with a focus st. I indeed did put the car back to stock to find the source of issue. The difficult part being that it happens every so often and then the boost comes back. I think the reason being is that I don't give the turbo enough time to cool down after being ran for so long. At least I read someone else's issue and wanted to see some opinions on mine. Not really what people think of a BOV's sound. So sorry if I came off demanding and not more questioning

·
Registered
506 Posts
Are you doing pulls back to back? you could be heat soaked because the OEM intercooler is garbage. Also, like everyone else has said; the BOV/BPV is run off a solenoid from the factory so if that solenoid is acting up it will open the valve when it does not need to be. Its not the physical BOV/BPV that is likely to cause the problem but the solenoid that opens to supply vacuum to the BOV and release the boost.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Which is what I did. And I'm not demanding I just wanted to see if anybody has ever experienced that in their time with a focus st. I indeed did put the car back to stock to find the source of issue. The difficult part being that it happens every so often and then the boost comes back. I think the reason being is that I don't give the turbo enough time to cool down after being ran for so long. At least I read someone else's issue and wanted to see some opinions on mine. Not really what people think of a BOV's sound. So sorry if I came off demanding and not more questioning
You really haven't explained the situation enough for anyone to do anything but spitball ideas.
In your first post you reference an after market waste gate that the dealer saw. And then you changed a boost related part while you're trying to figure out a boost related issue. So a mod list would be helpful...
From your posts it seems to be nothing more than feeling that the motor isn't getting boost, are you not seeing activity on the boost gauge? Need details like this to try and help point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So to further explain my issue. I bought the car and noticed that my boost gauge is flying pretty higher than normal. And I pay attention to the sound of the motor and the turbo. I hear the engine pushing and the turbo spooling, but it feels like it's just straight motor and no boost. So I took it to the dealer and they said that it had something to do with one of the camshaft seeing off by 5 degrees. So after they fixed it the car felt fine. I went a good amount of time without it happening again and i would feel boost every time. So I put a BOV mainly cause I wanted sound and went wth boomba just because I read about them and my friends told me they are great. Besides the fact... so I kept driving the car and everything was fine. Until I got a check engine light for overboost. I took it in right away cause I was around the dealer and they noticed immediately what was wrong and said that it was an after market waste gate on the car causing the overboost and said they have no problem with the BOV at this point. Until one of the techs said that the BOV might be another reason for overboost. So since then I haven't put the BOV back on and drove the car lightly with the new turbo and put about a good 1009 miles with the new turbo lightly boosting and after about a week and a 1000 miles later started pushing the car every now and then doing some pulls. Now fast forward like month with the new turbo to yesterday and I notice the car started doing the all motor and no boost. Where my engine will be pushing and my turbo spoiling, but it's all motor and no boost. I don't have a BOV on the car just the stock BPV and everything is stock except for a roush car back exhaust. I think that should be enough. If not let me know. I'm just worried there could be something more deeper than that. My ideas were that I didn't let the car cool down before turning off or like one you guys said heat soak cause the inter cooler is crappy.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
interested to see what this ends up being, it sounds likea boost leak but man you'd definitely be hearing it if it was, must be this heat soak thing.
what are the temperatures in Orlando like when the problem occured?

·
Registered
67 Posts
So to further explain my issue. I bought the car and noticed that my boost gauge is flying pretty higher than normal. And I pay attention to the sound of the motor and the turbo. I hear the engine pushing and the turbo spooling, but it feels like it's just straight motor and no boost. So I took it to the dealer and they said that it had something to do with one of the camshaft seeing off by 5 degrees. So after they fixed it the car felt fine. I went a good amount of time without it happening again and i would feel boost every time. So I put a BOV mainly cause I wanted sound and went wth boomba just because I read about them and my friends told me they are great. Besides the fact... so I kept driving the car and everything was fine. Until I got a check engine light for overboost. I took it in right away cause I was around the dealer and they noticed immediately what was wrong and said that it was an after market waste gate on the car causing the overboost and said they have no problem with the BOV at this point. Until one of the techs said that the BOV might be another reason for overboost. So since then I haven't put the BOV back on and drove the car lightly with the new turbo and put about a good 1009 miles with the new turbo lightly boosting and after about a week and a 1000 miles later started pushing the car every now and then doing some pulls. Now fast forward like month with the new turbo to yesterday and I notice the car started doing the all motor and no boost. Where my engine will be pushing and my turbo spoiling, but it's all motor and no boost. I don't have a BOV on the car just the stock BPV and everything is stock except for a roush car back exhaust. I think that should be enough. If not let me know. I'm just worried there could be something more deeper than that. My ideas were that I didn't let the car cool down before turning off or like one you guys said heat soak cause the inter cooler is crappy.
I'm still confused as to whether or not your car has an aftermarket wastegate or not...if it does, it could not be adjusted properly allowing the turbo to generate more boost than its supposed to and creating your overboost situation.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm still confused as to whether or not your car has an aftermarket wastegate or not...if it does, it could not be adjusted properly allowing the turbo to generate more boost than its supposed to and creating your overboost situation.
If they changed the turbo then the wastegate should be stock, internal wastegate would come out with old turbo and new one would have its own. Unless they mindlessly swapped everything from the old turbo to the new one and put the wastegate back on. Which i highly doubt but would never put anything past the dealer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If they changed the turbo then the wastegate should be stock, internal wastegate would come out with old turbo and new one would have its own. Unless they mindlessly swapped everything from the old turbo to the new one and put the wastegate back on. Which i highly doubt but would never put anything past the dealer.
You're absolutely right with that point. Just trying to make sense of the story and work backwards from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're absolutely right with that point. Just trying to make sense of the story and work backwards from there.
Lol I was wondering like where I made my mistake on the story and to see your still lost at that point. Lol but no it's a new turbo and the temperature here in Orlando is like high 80s low 90s

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So what do you guys think about the solenoid leaving the valve open? Cause it happened again today. I'm driving and keep in mind the car is 100% stock minus the roush catback. But I will push the gas trying to put boost and the car is basically running all motor as if there was no turbo and my boost gauge will just swing up to like around 18 psi like its nothing. Do you think the solenoid is acting up and leaving the valve open or do you think that it could be a leak?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts