Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 ST1, manual cloth seats, < 30k miles. Driver's seat rocks front to back ever so slightly, with the left side of the seat cushion showing some play with an audible click. This is evident when coming to a stop, and when starting from a stop. I reviewed the following threads, seems to be a dealer-initiated fix.

I've seen sway bar locks as a possible solution. Anyone know if this will get worse if left unattended? In which case a dealer visit might be due. Anyone fix this using zip ties (tip from vwvortex.com)? Again, this motion is very slight. I see online that this happens not just with Ford vehicles, but with other makes as well.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

· Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm seeing that this is a feature of some STs and something that has to be lived with? Hopefully it just remains as such and does not increase in amplitude. Might show it to the dealer during my next service visit.

· Registered
2,564 Posts
My side to side movement was cures wirh the sway bar collars early on into my ownership.
Now after 100k miles or so I think I may need to tighten one of em as there's a slight "Click"
Haven't ever had any front to back though.

Reactions: MacawMania

· Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the TSB from Ford for the lateral movement. Interesting fix.

MC-10175895-0001.pdf

I'll raise my seat and see if I can use the hose clamp technique to bolster my seat as well. Not sure if it applies to the longitudinal rocking motion I am experiencing.

The Mazda 3, Toyota, and other folks had the seat rails replaced in response to similar complaints. I'm seeing these complaints even on the Tesla forums.

· Registered
2015 Focus ST
126 Posts
My car has done this for several years now too. I should've brought it into the dealer when I still had a warranty, but it wasn't a priority. I had figured I broke something plopping into the seat. I've got a bad habit of doing that to seats.

Reactions: MacawMania

· Registered
97 Posts
My 2013 St3 just started doing this on the passenger side. If I push the seat to the side it will stop. Literally wedged a piece of foam between the center console and seat to give it some pressure. I can pinpoint my specific noise since it happens while driving and hitting/moving the seat doesn't replicate the sound.

I'll check the areas referenced and see if that helps any.

· Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it lateral (side-to-side), or longitudinal (front-back) motion? I'm guessing the former, since you have an ST3. There's a TSB out for that, and some folks have fixed their Recaro issues with sway bar components.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts