Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running a coolingmist WMI system using the washer fluid tank and washer fluid for the mixture. Chris mentioned tuning for the wmi but I'm not sure if it's needed. My goal is 340whp on 93 or e30. I would prefer 93 if possible. I am running a 3gal/hour nozzle. Turbo is a gt2860rs (disco potato....seemed appropriate since I'm Irish).

The wmi is going on the car mainly for protection. I was curious as to your thoughts on tuning for it or not. We have pretty decent 93 around here(Stl Missouri).

He also sold me on a turbox rfl bov. He had it in stock and I don't know sh## about bovs so I agreed. Thought on the bov?

I have no idea how this happened, but I dropped my car at Panda earlier today to get my exhaust and a coolingmist WMI installed by Chris. I was waiting on my wife to pick me up and somehow walked out of there buying a gt2860rs kit, bov, intake and having Chris install everything. I had 0 intention of ordering a big turbo when I walked in there. I have wanted to go BT for years.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I use the washer tank.

As for your power goals, 340 can be done on 93 without water injection. @SIstomper did 315 whp at low boost on 91 and this guy did 324 hp but didn't say how much boost he was running.

Using water injection would make it easier to do so because these cars are octane limited. Should be able to do 350-360 with off the shelf 50/50 pre-mix or "winter washing fluid".

My understanding is that Panda has done a few ATP kits already so I wouldn't worry about whatever BOV he's pushing. As long as it has the right spring and not crack open too soon, it will be fine.

I will say the Turbo SX bov will be fairly loud.

Finally the true Disco Potato is .86 A/R turbine, not .64

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
You can make power with a potato if done right which Chris and Troy will do. On 91 with no fuel it made 325

BT.jpg

349 with aux kit on 91. 366 aux fuel E30

BT Aux E30.jpg

371 aux fuel E50 and 387 on E85

BT AUX E85.jpg

For a daily it's a great turbo.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can make power with a potato if done right which Chris and Troy will do. On 91 with no fuel it made 325

View attachment 249825

349 with aux kit on 91. 366 aux fuel E30

View attachment 249833

371 aux fuel E50 and 387 on E85

View attachment 249841

For a daily it's a great turbo.
Awesome! Looks like great power. I don't plan to run aux fuel just wmi. 325+ is just right for me. I am hoping it will be a reliable big turbo build. Who knows though. Maybe I'll get bored down the road.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Awesome! Looks like great power. I don't plan to run aux fuel just wmi. 325+ is just right for me. I am hoping it will be a reliable big turbo build. Who knows though. Maybe I'll get bored down the road.

You should be able to make 350 on meth and the potato.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Actually in the early millinium, the disco potatoe was a gt28rs. Lol. I have no idea other than my apr stage 3+ for my mk4 gti was the disco Potatoe. That was 2004 or something. It made an even 300 on 93 octane on a 1.8t.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I wouldn't mess with tuning for it. I'd just spray for the lower charge temps. You can always tune for it later if you want also.

Reactions: sullyman86

·
Registered
217 Posts
1. Like others have said, your goals can be met without a WMI-dependent "kill" tune.

2. Sounds like you're more street than track today, but that could change. If you track the car, you definitely don't want to depend on a WMI kit (WMI tune). Reliability is key.

3. Yes, a winter washer fluid (35-40% methanol) is a quick and easy option, but is not ideal for hardware longevity. It may be worthwhile searching for a local methanol source (any shop that builds late model / muscle engines should have some, or any VP dealer, but with VP you pay for the container and for the brand name). With a reliable methanol source, just stroll into the local grocery store for some distilled water @ 3$/gal and mix up a 50/50 mix in a gerry can. If you're not auditioning for Fast and Furious 14, you would likely use less than a gallon of methanol in a summer.

Best of luck,

Cody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Burnboy I will not tune for it initially. I was debating it, but I would like to see what can be done with 93 and just spraying the meth through a 3gal/hour nozzle. @Judas this will be a street car through and through. I doubt I will ever go to the track with it. I will look for a methanol source. I'm sure [email protected] will know where to get some locally. My only concern is winter driving and needing to spray the windshield. I know the 50/50 will clean the windshield fine, but I worry it will damage the paint. @djfourmoney thanks for the info! I will be calling this the disco tomato since it's the .64 turbine.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Running a coolingmist WMI system using the washer fluid tank and washer fluid for the mixture. Chris mentioned tuning for the wmi but I'm not sure if it's needed. My goal is 340whp on 93 or e30. I would prefer 93 if possible. I am running a 3gal/hour nozzle. Turbo is a gt2860rs (disco potato....seemed appropriate since I'm Irish).

The wmi is going on the car mainly for protection. I was curious as to your thoughts on tuning for it or not. We have pretty decent 93 around here(Stl Missouri).

He also sold me on a turbox rfl bov. He had it in stock and I don't know sh## about bovs so I agreed. Thought on the bov?

I have no idea how this happened, but I dropped my car at Panda earlier today to get my exhaust and a coolingmist WMI installed by Chris. I was waiting on my wife to pick me up and somehow walked out of there buying a gt2860rs kit, bov, intake and having Chris install everything. I had 0 intention of ordering a big turbo when I walked in there. I have wanted to go BT for years.

Off topic but I tried to respond to your message and your inbox is full let me know when you clear some room. Just send me another pm and I will respond to you thanks.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I use 50/50 with winter blend fluid from Wal-Mart -20 blue and mix 4 bottles of yellow here for 50/50. I got a inline filter b4 my pump also, I spray 2 nozzles. 1 500cc just after the fmic and a 250cc in the TB spacer. Works great been on this setup for 2 yrs not tuned. Aem boost controlled system

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The water/meth kit is installed as well as the turbo. I'm currently have the controller set to start spraying at 10psi and max out the spray at 20psi. I'm using the 3/gal nozzle. When I datalog I turn the minimum and maximum up to 30 psi so no meth or water is sprayed. This way I am tuning without it and will use it just to protect the engine.

I'm wondering is I can turn the minimum down below 10psi? I want as much protection and valve cleaning as possible without tuning for it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You have nothing to worry about below 10psi. Just make sure you buy the highest octane pump gas that you have access to. Generally speaking, that would be 91 octane and up.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You have nothing to worry about below 10psi. Just make sure you buy the highest octane pump gas that you have access to. Generally speaking, that would be 91 octane and up.

Thank you! I'm tuning for 93 octane and also e30. I'll start my spray at 7psi

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Just to add my experience. I use 3 bottles of yellow HEET into an empty washer fluid bottle and top off with blue Splash washer fluid for 50/50.
You can look up the material safety datasheet on the methanol content of whatever fluid you use and calculate how much HEET you need to add.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
ima have to look up this mixture thought it was on bottle of heet for 1 bottle of -20 fluid

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Anyone running more than 50/50? I recently purchased a 5 port meth system from Pro Meth and they recommend a 80/20 mixture

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've ran water only, 50/50, methanol only and some stuff in between.

Ultimately methanol alone makes the most power...but the difference is not that huge, and 50/50 generally is a good compromise.

Methanol provides additional fueling (if youre out of fuel) and high octane/knock resistance. Water is great a keeping knock at bay too, and keeps cylinder temps/EGTs down-- a very good thing for stock engine/pistons. I'm not a big fan of these methanol kits as a real supplemental fuel, but thats for another discussion.

Methanol is also hard on parts, the pump etc... it's hard to put a number on it, but parts will fail faster, pump will need rebuilt more often, etc. 50/50 is still flammable, but quite a bit less than straight methanol.

Bottom line yeah you can run whatever mix you want, I would just keep it consistent for tuning sake after it's all tuned up. I recommend / like 50/50 generally and it's easy to mix. I have a 2 gallon gas can and it's easy to add 1 gallon of each into the can and be done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts