Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the stock setup, with the vacuum pump line, and the diverter valve, is what Ford decided was the safest setup for our engines and turbo. After getting tuned, since the stock diverter valve is reportedly not quite up to the task, I upgraded to a turbosmart 50/50. Is this still the safest setup if I still have a stock turbo and wastegate? I would love to have a cpe kit with a tial BOV, although the cost is a bit high. But if I ran that setup and used the vacuum from my symposer delete, would it make any difference? I have done a lot of searches, but this is one detail that seems to be missing from what I have found. I am hoping to gain some better understanding, and less flaming, from my question! Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I'd say the Mountune unit is the safest BOV setup as it operates just as factory does, just better construction. But with that being said I don't think any of the other BOV/BPV options are "unsafe" as long as they are operating properly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, I haven't heard of anyone having turbo issues with an after-market BOV, especially from the most popular brands. Even those that upgrade but stay stock tuned are fine, they just typically have some purging. I've had the boomba, turbosmart 50/50, and currently the HKS. To your question about the symposer delete, I would ABSOLUTELY recommend that to create a true vacuum if you're using a vented BOV, like you are with the turbosmart. You'll be much happier with the manner in which it blows off, and when I did it I noticed it wasn't quite as loud and I absolutely loved that about it.

In short, you shouldn't have an issue upgrading the BOV. When you upgrade, create a true vac using the symposer delete (Here's a good how-to thread by @nickbaldwin86 if you need: https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/152443-how-bov-natural-vacuum.html)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I ran an open-ended green filter with a two and a half inch catback and a turbosmart 50/50 bov I'm stock tune for about 8 months. First thing I did when it was new. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Turbosmart Kompact 50/50, and recently swapped to natural vacuum after doing my symposer delete. So far it hasn't been opening the BOV until above 5psi or so of boost, and thus has been causing some compressor surge (the flutter sounds awesome, but I know it's bad for my turbo). I've been trying to soften the BOV spring pre-load, but it seems like it isn't doing much, and because of where the BOV is located on the ST, I'm not sure how much more room I have to turn it before it's too loose. Is it necessary to get a softer spring to install in the Turbosmart?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I have a Turbosmart Kompact 50/50, and recently swapped to natural vacuum after doing my symposer delete. So far it hasn't been opening the BOV until above 5psi or so of boost, and thus has been causing some compressor surge (the flutter sounds awesome, but I know it's bad for my turbo). I've been trying to soften the BOV spring pre-load, but it seems like it isn't doing much, and because of where the BOV is located on the ST, I'm not sure how much more room I have to turn it before it's too loose. Is it necessary to get a softer spring to install in the Turbosmart?

Maybe you can get a glance at it from the engine bay. The cap just has to be covering the second o-ring to maintain a seal. I can get mine to blow off around 2 or 3 lb sometimes it seems like less. And there's a difference between flutter and surge.

·
Registered
114 Posts
op

-m

+CX))))))))))WWWW )EI;;;;;;;;;;F\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\i[p,,....j

Edit - not trying to hijack this thead, but my 2 new 9 week old Siamese kittens don't understand the Forum rules. roflmao!
maybe a Moderator could move this post to "for those who want a laugh"!

FYI - Don't worry, I locked them up:

LockedUp.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
7,059 Posts
op

-m

+CX))))))))))WWWW )EI;;;;;;;;;;F\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\i[p,,....j

Edit - not trying to hijack this thead, but my 2 new 9 week old Siamese kittens don't understand the Forum rules. roflmao!
maybe a Moderator could move this post to "for those who want a laugh"!

FYI - Don't worry, I locked them up:

View attachment 359987
Hilarious. Someone reported this post, but after review, it brings me joy. So it stays.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Duece McCracken
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing