Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So i put a 2015 steering wheel on my 2014 FOST. Everything works just fine except the cruise control. Does anybody have access to the main plug diagram that plugs into the clock spring for both the 2015 and 2014 so i can see what is different and wire accordingly?. I haven't been able to find a write up or anything on this. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
802 Posts
How did you get the airbag to work? I thought the '15 airbag has different connectors from '14.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have any airbag lights on and the connectors clipped right in as they were supposed to. I havnt crashed the car to see it the airbag actually works but seems fine. just dont know how to wire the cruise control

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am doing the same thing on my 2014 Titanium. I got a 2016 ST heated wheel off a wrecked car and i put it on and the same thing. No cruise. I looked at the two different wiring diagrams for both and i see NO difference in the two. All color wires are the same and vise versa. I am thinking what i may have to do to get everything to work is put the 2015 clock spring in as well. Something is wired differently in the clock spring. So i will try that next week and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
not saying that this IS the problem, but it could be an issue...

what if, since the button layout is different, that the resistor ladder is not the same?

background for anyone not knowing what I am talking about. most cars use one or two wires to carry the signals of ALL of the buttons, or will have a single wire for each different groups of buttons. so there will be a ground reference wire to each group, then each button has a different resistance value that it uses to send a varying voltage down that wire, then the device at the end will decode what you want done based off of the resistance it sees.

maybe there is a difference between some or all of the buttons resistance values? this should be an easy test to figure out. take both steering wheels and a multi meter set to resistance, then put the meter on the cruise control wires while holding the "ON" button on each wheel and make sure they are the same (USUALLY, a 10% tolerance is acceptable). so, if the original wheels "ON" button has a resistance of 1.5k ohms but the new wheel's "ON" button has a resistance of 2.5k ohms, every time you are pressing the "ON" button, the car is seeing the wrong value and thinking that you are pressing a different button so it doesn't active the cruise control.

·
Registered
216 Posts
not saying that this IS the problem, but it could be an issue...

what if, since the button layout is different, that the resistor ladder is not the same?

background for anyone not knowing what I am talking about. most cars use one or two wires to carry the signals of ALL of the buttons, or will have a single wire for each different groups of buttons. so there will be a ground reference wire to each group, then each button has a different resistance value that it uses to send a varying voltage down that wire, then the device at the end will decode what you want done based off of the resistance it sees.

maybe there is a difference between some or all of the buttons resistance values? this should be an easy test to figure out. take both steering wheels and a multi meter set to resistance, then put the meter on the cruise control wires while holding the "ON" button on each wheel and make sure they are the same (USUALLY, a 10% tolerance is acceptable). so, if the original wheels "ON" button has a resistance of 1.5k ohms but the new wheel's "ON" button has a resistance of 2.5k ohms, every time you are pressing the "ON" button, the car is seeing the wrong value and thinking that you are pressing a different button so it doesn't active the cruise control.

Did we ever hear if this supported resolving the issue with cruise??

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey guys,
So i put a 2015 steering wheel on my 2014 FOST. Everything works just fine except the cruise control. Does anybody have access to the main plug diagram that plugs into the clock spring for both the 2015 and 2014 so i can see what is different and wire accordingly?. I haven't been able to find a write up or anything on this. thanks in advance!
I think it might be your clock spring. I had a bad one the didn't work cruise my new one does work cruise. I am just having a challenge with the media controls on the right side of the '15 wheel (its on my '13 FoST). The controls work all over but on the right media controls they are wonky and each button there will switch the source. Volume increases volume AND changes source.

As well I notices my stereo buttons aren't responding on the Sony stereo...volume yes, but not 'source' or 'sound','seek', 'tune' , etc.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,777 Posts
This area can be tricky - as noted earlier, there is a resistance ladder built into each of the steering wheel controls. These have quite different values depending on (for example) which audio/Sync system you have. In addition, for pre-facelift cars, you have the added complication of a running change in 2014 that deleted the bottom right control from the wheel.
I have the wiring diagrams for the 2012/2013 cars (4 steering wheel controls only) and there are wiring pinout differences at the clockspring connector, as well as different resistance values in the right side control units for the SONY system vs the standard audio system. Fortunately no cruise controls differences in my specific case though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am a total noob to all of this let alone trying to rewire things. If you could share the diagram I'd be grateful as it's gonna be a journey. I'm almost tempted to go buy a brand new clock spring to test the issue. PM me if you wish, Thanks you again!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,877 Posts
Give me the years that you are dealing with (from > to) and I will post it up here after I get my daughter to bed.

J

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,877 Posts
Please see

1 - 13 of 13 Posts