Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the car for about 2 months. Wiper arms have been over traveling since I got it. Finally got agitated enough with it today that I decided to take the arms off. Found the bracket holding the driver side arm is busted in 2 places. Any idea if the regular focus have the same one? Dont want to JB weld or anything. Anybody been through this?

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
I've had the car for about 2 months. Wiper arms have been over traveling since I got it. Finally got agitated enough with it today that I decided to take the arms off. Found the bracket holding the driver side arm is busted in 2 places. Any idea if the regular focus have the same one? Dont want to JB weld or anything. Anybody been through this?
I can't say positively, but I see no reason why they would not be.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen conflicting posts about removing wiper arms while car is off. Can anyone confirm if I put them back on they will work?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Any idea if the regular focus have the same one? Dont want to JB weld or anything. Anybody been through this?
I have good news/bad news for you. The wiper motor bracket on the regular Focus is the same, even the sedan version seems to be the same. I know from experience because I have a bracket out of a regular sedan and it’s identical. The bad news is the driver’s side is more expensive, almost double the cost if I remember correctly.

I personally just went to the local LKQ and paid $11 for a “small aluminum bracket” as they called it.

For anyone else that’s considering removing your wiper arms I can say that you need to be careful as the factory brackets are made of pot metal and there are several breaking points built into the bracket in the event of an accident. To remove the arms watch the video on YouTube. You just remove the nut and wiggle rock the arm back and forth. It’ll seem like nothing is happening, then after doing the rocking motion for close to a full minute you’ll suddenly fell the arm loosen up.

After getting the arm off you’ll see why it doesn’t just come off freely. The wiper motor shaft is both splined and a tapered fit, so the arm will basically seize itself to the shaft and you need the rocking motion to break them free.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have good news/bad news for you. The wiper motor bracket on the regular Focus is the same, even the sedan version seems to be the same. I know from experience because I have a bracket out of a regular sedan and it’s identical. The bad news is the driver’s side is more expensive, almost double the cost if I remember correctly.

I personally just went to the local LKQ and paid $11 for a “small aluminum bracket” as they called it.

For anyone else that’s considering removing your wiper arms I can say that you need to be careful as the factory brackets are made of pot metal and there are several breaking points built into the bracket in the event of an accident. To remove the arms watch the video on YouTube. You just remove the nut and wiggle rock the arm back and forth. It’ll seem like nothing is happening, then after doing the rocking motion for close to a full minute you’ll suddenly fell the arm loosen up.

After getting the arm off you’ll see why it doesn’t just come off freely. The wiper motor shaft is both splined and a tapered fit, so the arm will basically seize itself to the shaft and you need the rocking motion to break them free.
It is just unfortunate that I inherited this problem, but thanks for the info about the bracket. I'll make my way to LKQ or PullnPay sometime this week.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I broke mine while telling myself I don't need to unbolt them while working around them....
I was wrong broke those stupid breakaway tabs really quickly.

Fortunately though, if you know anyone who welds aluminum from time to time, you can TIG them back together. Carefully as to not wreck the motor.

It worked for me. They're **** castings and there is a lot of garbage in the metal but you can weld them back together.

Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hate to necromance this post but i just broke both passenger and driver side motor brackets by barely applying force to the wiper arm for removal. Be careful or you’ll be out almost $100 for a pair of used motors and brackets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts