Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there is an entire thread on this, but I did not find the information I was looking for. I have a late 2014 model ST (larger front brakes) and recently got a set of 16 inch 5x108 wheels and winter tires for a deal. Even after checking the spare (which was OEM and 16 inches), the winter setup would not clear the front brakes. :(

I am frustrated, but hopeful. There did not seem to be any contact issue until the last ~0.1325'', but I am unsure as a lot of this was done during frustration and in the dark.

Would 25mm spacers do the trick and allow for more front clearance to fit the 16 inch wheel on or am I SOL?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Something sounds strange here. If the car was produced with the 13.1 rotors, it should have come with a 17" spare. So, either you bought the car used and the previous owner upgraded the brakes, you upgraded the brakes, or Ford really screwed up hard and gave you the spare for the smaller brakes. If you did buy it new and Ford screwed up, go to them and get a new spare. Just FYI because I learned it 2 days ago, any ST after 3/30/2014 was built with 13.1 rotors so you can check your VIN against that.

16" doesn't fit becuase of diameter, not offset, but you did say no issues until the last little bit. What type of "contact" issue did you have? Was it spokes hitting the caliper? If so, then a spacer should work I think.

I'm getting snows too and I was directed to read that thread too, but I don't blame you for giving up. Sure, the info is in there, but I don't want to spend hours reading 100 pages on a forum about snow tires...

Reactions: Bald Wonder

·
Registered
194 Posts
Also, if you go the spacer route, keep in mind that you'll want it to be big enough to take up the gap and give you clearance. So instead of getting a 1/8" spacer, get 1/4" or more. And when you do that, you might want to get extended studs. I don't trust those hub spacers with studs sticking out of them. With those, you're asking a little ring of aluminum to handle a lot of torsion. Swapping studs can be a pain, but it's way more secure and structurally sound.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Are the wheels you bought steel or aluminum? The OE spare is a steel wheel which is thinner than aluminum.

Reactions: Cowlynz
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.