Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey STers

I just got mine last week but already am sourcing out some tires and rim combos. What tire and rim sizes is everyone running in the winter?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you are planning to keep it for a while...

I ordered a set of Michelin X-ICE mounted on some super nice aftermarket wheels on TireRack.com.

Once they arrived I had a local tire shop swap the winter tires to the factory wheels and the factory tires to the aftermarket wheels.

A bit of a pain to do the swap but looks great in all seasons. All tire/wheel sizes are OEM.

Also the tires and wheels were on special on Tire Rack at such a good price that the aftermarket wheels were almost free by the time you compared the price of a set of just the Michelins snows at a local dealer in Canada.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Winter Setup: Factory Rims with Nokian WRG3 235/40R18 95 V XL
Summer Setup: reused factory F1's and put them on a set of Advant Garde M310 8.5x18
Nokian1 (Medium).jpg

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Those are sharp looking Swood73.

I bought steel rims from Walmart, $85/wheel for 17". Then some set of tires from a local shop, they are all the same to me, he charged me about $600 if I remember right. Total cost about $1000, which sucked but I factored that in when I bought the car.

Do not have a picture, but the steel wheels do not look sexy. I like to think it makes me look smart though lol.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm using Gislaved Tires. Swedish tires made in Germany. I used to always run Nokian Hakkapeliitta, but these a way better and cheaper than both Nokian and Michelin X-ICE. They are mounted on 17" Volvo "thor" wheels I got from Kijiji. Got the wheels for $40 ea.

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 9.39.43 AM.png

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm running Hankook I-CEPT EVO 245/40 on the stock wheels.
Good balance of wet/dry grip and not being scared in the snow. Not for really deep stuff though, it's a 'high performance' winter tire.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm using Gislaved Tires. Swedish tires made in Germany. I used to always run Nokian Hakkapeliitta, but these a way better and cheaper than both Nokian and Michelin X-ICE. They are mounted on 17" Volvo "thor" wheels I got from Kijiji. Got the wheels for $40 ea.

View attachment 164250
Where did you source the tires from? I'm curious in what way you felt they excel vs the leading brands? I've also used the x-ice 3/Hakka/blizzak ws70 with great results and I'm open to options.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always run Blizzaks in the winter.
I ran LM-32's for the first 4 winters. The first winter they were insane. The second winter they were good. The third winter I was left stranded in the snow. The fourth winter I was stubborn and ran them when I should have bought new tires.
This year I bought Blizzak WS90's. Performance tires they are not. But so far on black ice they are amazing. Just as I would expect Blizzaks to be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts