Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to detailing and would like some info on what everyone uses in winter to take care of there car. I take care of my car in the warm months with normal washing and waxing and all that but haven't ever really had to do much in the winter as I usually keep them tucked away for winter.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Hello I'm new to detailing and would like some info on what everyone uses in winter to take care of there car. I take care of my car in the warm months with normal washing and waxing and all that but haven't ever really had to do much in the winter as I usually keep them tucked away for winter.
Keep it washed and waxed/sealed** and that's about it. When I say keep it washed I mean if you see sh!t on your car...get it off your car. I'm sure someone else like Cooper will chime in with more specifics if there are any.

** - Very important to keep that crud out of your inner paint

·
Super Moderator
10,085 Posts
I go to the "Lazer" "Touchless" car wash after every storm; there is an undercarriage spray as you pull into the wash bay that stays on as long as there is something breaking the sensor beam. I pull across very slowly to get all the salt/sands off of the underside and then drive on through before any of the nasty goop has a chance to spray on the car. It is worth the $6.00 of the lowest price wash to just spray off the underside, but the rest of the wash is to be avoided at all cost!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I go to the "Lazer" "Touchless" car wash after every storm; there is an undercarriage spray as you pull into the wash bay that stays on as long as there is something breaking the sensor beam. I pull across very slowly to get all the salt/sands off of the underside and then drive on through before any of the nasty goop has a chance to spray on the car. It is worth the $6.00 of the lowest price wash to just spray off the underside, but the rest of the wash is to be avoided at all cost!
Why do you avoid the rest of the car wash at all costs? If you dont go through a touchless wash do you just do it yourself?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Why do you avoid the rest of the car wash at all costs? If you dont go through a touchless wash do you just do it yourself?
Most likely yes. Ultimately you should always do it yourself for the best wash and not have any swirls. Even the touchless washes cause issues with spraying high pressure washers that hit pieces of debris and scratch your car as they "push them off" and also could potentially hurt clear coat.

I still use touchless at times because I'm a very busy person and better to wash than to not wash. Better than nothing kind of thing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I could agree with that. I feel like during the winter it really is just a lose lose situation, especially here in MN with all the salt they put on the roads. Makes me want to cringe when I see my dirty car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could agree with that. I feel like during the winter it really is just a lose lose situation, especially here in MN with all the salt they put on the roads. Makes me want to cringe when I see my dirty car.

Yeah I'm in buffalo ny so I feel you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Also MN, I put collinite 845 on heavy in fall 2-3 coats. Heavy wax will help protect from the touchless washes and salt, my car still has a good wax coating on it. As already mentioned, wash after storms, but if its hella cold (below zero) I don't worry as much, don't overwash either. I experimented with spraying the underside of my car with fluid film in fall, not sure how much of it is left.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Also MN, I put collinite 845 on heavy in fall 2-3 coats. Heavy wax will help protect from the touchless washes and salt, my car still has a good wax coating on it. As already mentioned, wash after storms, but if its hella cold (below zero) I don't worry as much, don't overwash either. I experimented with spraying the underside of my car with fluid film in fall, not sure how much of it is left.
Without the usual black tar looking undercoat stuff I'd be worried that the salt/other gunk on the roads up here would eat that stuff off the bottom real quick depending on what it's made out of. Regardless better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Even still, touchless > brush car washes, omg, do they scratch or what. They shouldn't even exist, people are morons for using them if they care about their vehicles paint.
I've seen cars come through that are an entire scratch from the front to the rear bumper from those spinning brushes like someone rubbed sandpaper the length of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Even still, touchless > brush car washes, omg, do they scratch or what. They shouldn't even exist, people are morons for using them if they care about their vehicles paint.
I've seen cars come through that are an entire scratch from the front to the rear bumper from those spinning brushes like someone rubbed sandpaper the length of the vehicle.
For real though they are horrid. And people at the end to "dry" your car with the same beat towel the last 30 cars used? Seriously..

·
Super Moderator
10,085 Posts
The chemicals the touchless washes use are very harsh and will strip away your wax and sealant quickly. I wash myself by hand. The undercarriage spray is great...the rest...not so much.

Reactions: Lou64

·
Registered
67 Posts
You are on the MN ST page on facebook right? I think I remember you saying that you did the wheel wells??? I covered all metal bits under the car with POR-15 this fall to help prevent the rust. Hopefully it helps at least a little!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
After the roads start To dry up after the crap is put down I go to a spray n wash place, the kind with the wand. I use just regular water and rinse what I can off. It usually does ok. Then I do a ONR wash. That will get it 80% and in the winter that is good enough.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Having my 13' oil sprayed before every winter is $50 well spent!

·
Registered
311 Posts
The chemicals the touchless washes use are very harsh and will strip away your wax and sealant quickly. I wash myself by hand. The undercarriage spray is great...the rest...not so much.
Touchless is certainly the lesser of the evils though. Personally, I cannot hand wash very often due to living at an apartment with no access to a hose, so I take it to a touchless in the winter. I try to hand wash at least once a month though.

I have a coating on my car and it has lasted over a year even after going through a touchless in the winter. Technically I coat my car once a year, then seal it twice a year, once in spring and once in fall, then wax 2-3 times a year.

I find this works VERY well. The touchless never gets all of the grime that is stuck on the paint, but it gets the salt and crap off the paint which is what you want. If I cannot make it to the touchless, I stop by a coin op wash and just powerwash the underside of the car as well as getting all of the salt and crap off the sides and wheel wells.

Either way, a hand wash is ideal. I usually hand wash in summer and do touch up washes with my Ultima Waterless Wash. The chemicals in the touchless isn't great, but if you have protection on the paint, you should be fine as long as you keep protection on there.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Touchless is certainly the lesser of the evils though. Personally, I cannot hand wash very often due to living at an apartment with no access to a hose, so I take it to a touchless in the winter. I try to hand wash at least once a month though.

I have a coating on my car and it has lasted over a year even after going through a touchless in the winter. Technically I coat my car once a year, then seal it twice a year, once in spring and once in fall, then wax 2-3 times a year.

I find this works VERY well. The touchless never gets all of the grime that is stuck on the paint, but it gets the salt and crap off the paint which is what you want. If I cannot make it to the touchless, I stop by a coin op wash and just powerwash the underside of the car as well as getting all of the salt and crap off the sides and wheel wells.

Either way, a hand wash is ideal. I usually hand wash in summer and do touch up washes with my Ultima Waterless Wash. The chemicals in the touchless isn't great, but if you have protection on the paint, you should be fine as long as you keep protection on there.
You need to get some ONR.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You need to get some ONR.
I've had really good luck with the Ultima. The only thing is that it leaves a little bit of streaking, but I also put a little more product than they recommend (better lubricity). Then I just clean that streaking up with my Ammo NYC Spit spray wax. Turns out phenomenally and my Kona Blue paint looks beautiful.

Product is great and all, but procedure is more important than product. I have spent quite a bit of time perfecting mine and have come to a nice place now and I find that the product I have been using to be a happy medium when considering price and ease of use.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I usually wash it by hand, but first make sure you fill the bucket up with warm water. I never run any of my cars through a car wash.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts