Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Midwest most areas have officially switched to the winter blend gasoline. Curious as to what MPG shifts you guys see on the winter vs summer blend.

On summer blend (87) with conservative highway driving I can usually coax 32+ MPG.

On a recent trip to Chicago on winter blend fuel (87) I averaged between 26-28 MPG.

Normal? Thoughts? What are you winter ST drivers experiencing?

Ciao,

ST_architect
2017 ST3
Cleveland,OH

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
In the Midwest most areas have officially switched to the winter blend gasoline. Curious as to what MPG shifts you guys see on the winter vs summer blend.

On summer blend (87) with conservative highway driving I can usually coax 32+ MPG.

On a recent trip to Chicago on winter blend fuel (87) I averaged between 26-28 MPG.

Ciao,

ST_architect
2017 ST3
Cleveland,OH
I believe I see around a 10% difference. So that would be about right 32>28

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe I see around a 10% difference. So that would be about right 32>28
Good to know, I haven't touched anything on the car yet except a catback and saw my mpgs plummet! I somewhat panicked before I remembered tis the season. Thanks for the quick info!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm also in Cleveland and haven't seen any difference around town yet. But I'll be making about a 500 mile drive for the holidays so I'll let you know if I see any difference then.

·
Registered
463 Posts

FYI colder, denser air and the higher fuel consumption to offset this is more to blame for lower MPG's than winter gas mix.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts

FYI colder, denser air and the higher fuel consumption to offset this is more to blame for lower MPG's than winter gas mix.
Yeah but considering how much it changes in a matter of 2 weeks when they switch the gas blends over...that's where this logic isn't true ;)

Your logic is true in the fact my gas mileage actually drops like 20% in the winter :lol: That turbo loves it and I do too

·
Registered
825 Posts
Google info mentions Summer grade has 1.7% more energy per gallon...

For myself. I am still getting 32.9 mpg in my ST. (as calculated from fill/miles traveled from last three fillups)
I have two mpg boosters.. First an indoor heated garage. So I never start the car from below 72F temps.
And my Winter wheels use green/eco design tires.

So far I actually am getting slightly better than I did this Summer.

I use Shell Premium gas exclusively.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Google info mentions Summer grade has 1.7% more energy per gallon...

For myself. I am still getting 32.9 mpg in my ST. (as calculated from fill/miles traveled from last three fillups)
I have two mpg boosters.. First an indoor heated garage. So I never start the car from below 72F temps.
And my Winter wheels use green/eco design tires.

So far I actually am getting slightly better than I did this Summer.

I use Shell Premium gas exclusively.
Never starting my car below 72 degrees would be a godsend. Ugh. Jealous

·
Registered
825 Posts
Never starting my car below 72 degrees would be a godsend. Ugh. Jealous
When I first move into a apt building with the feature back in 1990.. I 'discovered' the joys of indoor parking.
Never any snow to clear off the car. Always easy to get in car.. No rain, no snow falling. No worry about hail either.
So since then I look for and will only rent in such buildings.
Plenty of them around. And the fact is parking cost is the same as car sitting outside.. LOL

One oddity of it is I never wear a coat anymore. Even in dead of Winter. I hate wearing one IN the car.
So why bother at all? The few seconds going from car to store is nothing.
I do keep a coat in the hatch, in case of accident.
When I still worked I took the coat with me, since then leaving I would have the cold as Hell car to start.
Now I am retired (ten years).. no such problems.

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
481 Posts

Ciao,

ST_architect
2017 ST3
Cleveland,OH
Thats about right I drop about 4-6 MPG on the winter blend from the summer blend.

But the better question here is why are you running 87 octane? Its my experience that I get better fuel economy with premium fuel 92 Octane verses the 87 Octane, and the better MPG makes up for the cost and it has become a wash. Might wana run a couple full tanks of 92 and track the MPG on paper to see what you get. Might be worth it, I know it is for me.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Are you sure the low MPG is not due to Chicago traffic congestion/long idling in traffic? LOL
I see about 2 mpg lower in winter.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm in the Chicago suburbs. Since a few weeks ago, I dropped from an avg 27 with mixed city driving to around 23 mpg with a Cobb Stage 1 tune 93 octane. About 10 days ago, I reflashed to the Cobb Stage 1 87 octane tune and I'm still getting 23 mpg with the same driving routes and habits. So no worse off for me with 87 vs 93 in my short term test.

I figure I might as well use the less expensive gas during winter as I can't put the power down anyway on the salty roads with snow tires, and I might as well pay less for fuel.

·
Registered
825 Posts
From seeing a chart done on a dyno at CJ Ponyparts showing the difference between using 87 octane vs 93.. with a stock tune...
The 87 and 93 graph lines are pretty close with the 87 only a few hp below the 93... up to 5,500rpm.
At 5,500 rpm the 93 octane gas chart line stays moving on up nice and steady.
The 87 octane chart line takes big drop, (straight down in fact) and charts a lower line from 5,500 to redline.

When I tried to use 87.. boost was a PITA, where the car, when shifting at high RPM, would hiccup, and the engine would cut out
This NEVER has happened with 93 octane gas on boost.

So I would say if a person never goes over 5,500 RPM..and have the stock tune.. Then they might find 87 octane to be just fine in a ST.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've seen pretty poor fuel economy since winter. I drive this car for a living and as such I drive very conservatively while on business time. I was seeing 29-32 combined in the summer, and am seeing 25-27 combined so far this winter.

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
481 Posts
I've seen pretty poor fuel economy since winter. I drive this car for a living and as such I drive very conservatively while on business time. I was seeing 29-32 combined in the summer, and am seeing 25-27 combined so far this winter.
32 is pretty good, the highest I have ever gotten was 36 mpg south on I5 in Oregon where the speed like 55 mph. 23-26 is about average for me year around.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I wonder how much of the Winter fuel problem is cold start temperatures?
My own mpg is UP from Summer, mainly due to green winter tires vs OEM non-green Summer tires.
BUT, as I mention, I have indoor heated parking. So MY car is never below 72F for cold starts in Winter.

Why I mention this is looking for other folks who have heated parking to compare?
Since most of the gas is used while the engine is cold.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Winter blend gasoline has more butane in it so it lights off easier, and in the summer they don't use as much in the blends.

·
Registered
407 Posts
@ST_architect

So after driving 695 miles for the holidays I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in my gas mileage.

Can't say for sure whether or not winter blends were the difference but I've gotten 30 hwy previously and on this trip I calculated 26.2 (@ ~45deg), 26.4 (@ ~47deg), and then a whopping 22.0 (@ ~15deg).
These were all almost 100% highway, it seems like temperature was the major difference.

I also now have a roof rack which I previously didn't have but I don't think that would make THAT much of a difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know how you guys have been getting such great mileage. I have just less than a thousand miles on my 17 ST1 and am getting like lows 20's if I don't get on it. I purchased Thanksgiving time so maybe I've only been using "winter blend." I can get 25 in 6th travelling at like 70-80mph if I get consistent speeds. Been having to work during the day now tho (traffic) and am averaging 17mpg because I have to warm the car up in sub-zero temperatures :(

1 - 20 of 52 Posts