Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on going snowboard a lot this winter, and I'm posting yet another one of these threads. Now I can get a older Subaru for around $2500 and put winter tires on it, but I am wondering if it is necessary. I tried looking but I couldn't find a post of someone talking about how well their focus st can get up the mountain. The road to my mountain is very very very very twisty and is around 15 miles long. This is all while going uphill. I have never really driven my car very much in the snow. Is there no problem with just putting on snow tires or is there any concern and so I should go with an older Subaru outback with snow tires. Also my town doesn't really use salt for the roads they use sand.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I own a Subaru and the ST. ST does really well with snow tires, but the Subaru with snow tires drives circles around it in winter. If it is in the budget, I would highly recommend picking up the Subaru and putting snow tires on it. I would normally say the ST is fine, but if you are doing a lot of snowy mountain driving for a hobby, you don't want the ST to keep you at home.

I look at it this way... the ST gets around fine in snow with snow tires. The Subaru is fun to drive in the snow with snow tires because there is so much control. Subaru also handles larger amounts of snow thanks to the increased ground clearance.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I have a winter beater/rest of the year daily driver I drive 4 + days a week back and forth to work to keep the miles/wear and tear off my FoST.
1994 Saturn SL2 4 door sedan 1.9l DOHC. 170k miles, auto, shifts hard, no reverse, all new wheel bearings, brakes, decently maintained mechanically. Visual BEAAATTER, Maroon with Teal front bumper and fender from a deer hit replacement. Driver windows roll down, passengers don't!

It gets 31mpg and is cheap to keep running. I just replaced the rear wheel bearings, drums, shoes, and hardware in the back, along with two motor mounts this weekend. the person I got the car from had all the parts sitting around new or with lifetime warranty so it cost me almost nothing and he does all the work for food.(best friends are great aye)

I'm way too paranoid to drive my Focous ST this time of year because of deer. Way to common here, and seen enough horror stories this season already, and have hit 3 my self in the past, including totalling my last vehicle to a deer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thats a second vehicle you have to insure right?

The ST is good in the snow with snow tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 2004 Nissan Xterra for a winter driver, that thing was essentially unstoppable. As noted, a 2nd vehicle means insurance, maintenance, etc - it is definitely the more expensive option.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used to ski in Vermont and would take a FWD car with snow tires. Never had a problem with that setup. I would, however, still get a winter beater. Yes it is more expensive, but the cost will be partially offset by your FoST lasting longer, will be in better condition without the road salt exposure, and will have better resale value. The difference between rusted out Northern cars and cars from the South/California is night and day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts