Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I turned the ST off and accidentally bumped the windshield wiper lever and all of a sudden the wipers turned on high speed and I couldn't turn them off or slow them down no matter what I did. I turned the car off, they still kept going. I started the engine messed with every button on the wiper lever and couldn't it to do anything. I turned the car all the way off and opened the door and they would stop for a moment, and then start again on full blast. I eventually was able to get it to stop just by doing the same things over and over. Anyone have this happen to them or have any idea what could have caused it?

·
Super Moderator
8,560 Posts
Hate to sound repetitive, as this is my go to answer, how old is your battery? Electrics on the ST get weird sometimes with a low battery.

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would suspect battery or wiring. Another member had a car fire and this was a symptom.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hate to sound repetitive, as this is my go to answer, how old is your battery? Electrics on the ST get weird sometimes with a low battery.
I would suspect battery or wiring. Another member had a car fire and this was a symptom.
I believe the battery is the original, which would put just under 60k on it. I have never had an issue with the battery and the car has never hesitated to crank right up. I hope it's not a wiring issue. The battery wouldn't explain how they kept going after the car is completely shut off though. They shouldn't even be getting power.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I believe the battery is the original, which would put just under 60k on it. I have never had an issue with the battery and the car has never hesitated to crank right up. I hope it's not a wiring issue. The battery wouldn't explain how they kept going after the car is completely shut off though. They shouldn't even be getting power.
Still check battery, some weirder stories have been told.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still check battery, some weirder stories have been told.
I'll get it checked, I really don't want to spend money on a battery right now though while I'm in the middle of moving into a new house.

·
Super Moderator
8,560 Posts
I'll get it checked, I really don't want to spend money on a battery right now though while I'm in the middle of moving into a new house.
I just changed mine; it was the factory unit. 4 years 3 months old. Car still cranked fine, but the radio would only say on for about 30 seconds without engine running. Some members have had some very strange stuff happen with an old/weak battery.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If your vehicle is having issues that make you want to call a priest, start looking at grounding issues.

You stated that the beginning of all these issues was you bumping the wiper lever. If it broke, or knocked a ground loose, it could cause the issues you are describing. Since both wipers are going nuts, and neither wiper is mechanically connected to the other at all(!), that means there is a signalling issue causing both of them to go.

Untitled.png

You need to start hunting it down...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last night after I got home from work I went inside and put the key fob in my bedroom and my car decided on it's own to turn the headlights on. I had to start the car and turn them to the off position to get them to turn off before turning the car back off. I've checked the battery and alternator and resting batter voltage is around 12.5. Alternator is also functioning properly. Haven't so much as had a slow start with this battery at this point so I don't think it's a battery issue. We have a Lincoln in service right now doing something similar with the headlights so I'm waiting to see what happens with that and maybe they will have a common issue that can be fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So last night I turned the ST off and accidentally bumped the windshield wiper lever and all of a sudden the wipers turned on high speed and I couldn't turn them off or slow them down no matter what I did. I turned the car off, they still kept going. I started the engine messed with every button on the wiper lever and couldn't it to do anything. I turned the car all the way off and opened the door and they would stop for a moment, and then start again on full blast. I eventually was able to get it to stop just by doing the same things over and over. Anyone have this happen to them or have any idea what could have caused it?
That happened on my Kia Forte, it was the wiper motor. I had to take the fuse out to keep them off and stick it back in when needed until I replaced the motor.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I was getting the opposite, wipers would suddenly quit or go to interval during a rain storm. HID headlights would randomly give faults, although they kept working. Six year old battery showed 12.4 to 12.5 at rest and car always started. Put in a new battery last year and all the weirdness went away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts