Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving to work yesterday in a 30mph zone I heard a rock hit the windshield. I looked up quickly but didn't see any damage. It was raining when I got to work so I didn't inspect it. On the way home the windshield fogged up so I turned on the defroster, BOOM, the damn windshield cracked. So now I have to get the windshield replaced on a brand new car at 2600 miles. I am not happy about this, but it's nobody's fault and it has to be done, and I have glass coverage. I am just hoping the Safelite replacement is fine and doesn't leak.

Has anyone had the windshield replaced and had any problems with the new one?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I am on the same boat as you. A rock hit my windshield 2 weeks ago and gave it a spider web crack about 5 inches wide. I've yet to do the replacement on this car but I've done it with other cars and safelite is good. Never had any issues with them. They are pretty quick and convenient.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Driving to work yesterday in a 30mph zone I heard a rock hit the windshield. I looked up quickly but didn't see any damage. It was raining when I got to work so I didn't inspect it. On the way home the windshield fogged up so I turned on the defroster, BOOM, the damn windshield cracked. So now I have to get the windshield replaced on a brand new car at 2600 miles. I am not happy about this, but it's nobody's fault and it has to be done, and I have glass coverage. I am just hoping the Safelite replacement is fine and doesn't leak.

Has anyone had the windshield replaced and had any problems with the new one?
Safelite has a warranty on their stuff right? They have a pretty great reputation for that kind of service

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My insurance company might hate me though. They just totaled my last car, last month, now I am putting in a glass claim. Fortunately the other driver was at fault in the other accident.

·
Registered
660 Posts
My insurance company might hate me though. They just totaled my last car, last month, now I am putting in a glass claim. Fortunately the other driver was at fault in the other accident.
Neither one of these was your fault, but I am sure there is an underwriter muttering under his breath. :)

And unlike the other guys, I hate Safelite. Don't count on their "warranty". I personally have a local guy I go to for glass issues.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've used SAFELITE many times over the years and had ONE problem when the windshield would whistle at speeds over 50. One call and they were out the following day and replaced everything again with no questions asked but many "I'm sorry about that". They are a franchise of course so individual performance can vary but IME the COMPANY stands behind the warranty.

USAA routes all glass claims directly to SAFELITE for handling ... you can choose to go elsewhere but they seem to like the company. In 40 odd years owning cars I've had a bunch of glass changed out by Safelite, all over the country.

Note that front glass typically falls under comprehensive coverage and not collision ... I've never had a glass claim under comp' impact my rates.

Also, if your glass is under "comp" and you carry a significant deductible on your comp it might be wise to ask what a lower or zero deductible would cost. The comp' rates are typically VERY different from your collision/theft rates. I changed from a $250 comp deduct' on 4 cars to ZERO for just a handful of dollars a year ... WAY less then one $250 deductible on a glass claim cost and at the time I was averaging one a year (lots of rock carrying trucks where I lived). Costs nothing to ask ....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Had them do a windshield for me a few weeks ago. I noticed after the install that the corner was cracked. Also, they didn't properly secure the trim piece under the windshield and wiper section. They are redoing it for me today for no charge.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Wrong parked position on the windscreen peregriner?
You just have to be very careful that when you pull the wiper arm off you don't rotate the spindle at all until the arm goes back on in the exact same position. Otherwise you end up with one blade overextending off the windshield when in use! If you move your wipers around while still attached the car is smart enough to fix that for you, but if you pull the arm off and it goes back on pointing in a different direction, the car isn't aware of this change :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts