Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a crack through the windshield from the passenger side to the drivers side and I am looking to replace it. Has anyone had to replace their front windshield yet? If you have did you

A) Go with the dealer brand Carlite OEM windshield or after market?

B) Stick with the Sound Screen windshield if your ST had it originally? My 13 didn't but my sons 14 does.

C) Replace the rubber seal when the windshield was replaced?

D) Who did you use? I am in the Seattle area and know that most of the members are on the East Coast, but just looking for good experiences.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’m on my fourth windshield thanks to some bad luck with stray rock/debris strikes on the highway, so I suppose that makes me something of an expert in this area. :lol:

A) I’ve always gone with whatever brand Safelite has provided by default (Pilkington, I think), and they’ve been fine.
B) My car originally had the acoustic glass, and that’s what I’ve always requested for a replacement. I have no experience with the non-acoustic version to compare with.
C) I’ve never had any kind of rubber seal replaced with the windshield, and it’s not been a problem. The glass is actually sealed and secured with some black, goopy sealant (looks and applies like caulk) that the installer will have to cut through when removing the old glass and reapply before installing the new.
D) Safelite has always taken good care of us where we are on the east coast.

The only complication I had (after replacement #2) was that somehow the bracket for the plastic trim panel on the drivers side of the glass was damaged during the process, and the trim panel wouldn’t snap back in completely. The installer tried to glue it down, which worked for a few months, but then it started flapping around at higher speeds. I just dealt with this until we needed another replacement, at which time I had the installer install a new bracket (can only be done with the windshield removed), and after that the trim panel snapped right in no problem. I suggest checking the trim panels after the job and making sure they are both secure. If not, insist that be addressed right away.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had one replaced on my last ST. I just took it to the local glass shop and they asked if I wanted OEM or aftermarket. I went OEM because in my experience they hold up better than the aftermarket ones. I had to wait a couple days for them to order it. Took about an hour for them to install it. Glass coverage picked it up. Pretty easy deal.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Your windshield is more impatient than most think. You want quality glad and install. Don't cheap out on this one. OEM glass all the way. I second the safelite suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I've had companies try to put in some garbage aftermarket glass, after one car was done, there were huge wavy spots right in the middle of the viewing area. looked like you were wearing drunk goggles and would have been impossible to drive. always push for OEM or as close to it as possible.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
** UPDATE **
I decided to go with a Carlite OEM sound screen windshield, same as what was installed by the factory. Got a good deal, mobile local guy north of Seattle that came to me, $375 out the door. Safelite was way to expensive. If you live north of Seattle this is the guy to use IMO.

Thanks for all the feedback

·
Registered
407 Posts
Dang, that's a pretty good deal. I'm not in Seattle but this is something to keep in mind if I ever need it, not to go right to Safelite or other chain glass companies. Local sounds like the way to go.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You guys don’t have glass coverage? You should look into because it’s not that expensive and i don’t think I paid anything to get mine replaced. It was also my choice as to where to go and what type of glass. Just something you might want to look into.

·
Registered
475 Posts
** UPDATE **
I decided to go with a Carlite OEM sound screen windshield, same as what was installed by the factory. Got a good deal, mobile local guy north of Seattle that came to me, $375 out the door. Safelite was way to expensive. If you live north of Seattle this is the guy to use IMO.

That's weird, I went OEM Sound Screen with Safelite and it was only $285. Must be the our location or something.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
** UPDATE **

That's weird, I went OEM Sound Screen with Safelite and it was only $285. Must be the our location or something.
Was it a Carlite windshield?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys don’t have glass coverage? You should look into because it’s not that expensive and i don’t think I paid anything to get mine replaced. It was also my choice as to where to go and what type of glass. Just something you might want to look into.
I added $0 deductable coverage for windshield to all 4 of my vehicles today. On average it was $4 per month to get to a $0 deductible on the glass on each car. $2.50 on the civic. $6 on the Lexus. $4 on each ST.

Every state is different insurance cute said. Some can't offer $0 some states it's included, so it all depends.

Covered now tho.

Reactions: jetmech

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm in the Seattle/Tacoma area and Geico covered my glass with a $50 deductible. Safelite did the repair at my house with the sound screen stuff. High quality piece. Would use them every time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts