Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Wilwood Superlite 6 piston calipers. I just installed a new set of 14" rotors and have new brake pads. With new rotors and pads I need to fully compress the caliper pistons for clearance. Unfortunately I can't get two of the pistons to press in. I've tried several ways of pressing with a clamp and old brake pad, block of wood, etc.. with no success. Anyone with these type of calipers have this issue before?
20170618_182211.jpg

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had tha at problem, but never had to get them "all" the way back in. The big ones are always stubborn. I pulled them back out and greased the outside of the piston.
How did you "pull" them back out? I was gonna get a rebuild kit, but my buddy said I need to "blow" the pistons out to replace them.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
How did you "pull" them back out? I was gonna get a rebuild kit, but my buddy said I need to "blow" the pistons out to replace them.
He knows, have him come over. You put your air compressor into the brake line nozzle and shoot some air in. Put a chunk of wood in the middle so they will all shoot out a bit but not come out. If one flies out it's hard to get the others out. I recommend replacing seals at least every two years, and probably total rebuild every 4-5. I sent mine to Wilwood and they did it for about $80, which included new nozzles, bleed screws, seals, everything.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He knows, have him come over. You put your air compressor into the brake line nozzle and shoot some air in. Put a chunk of wood in the middle so they will all shoot out a bit but not come out. If one flies out it's hard to get the others out. I recommend replacing seals at least every two years, and probably total rebuild every 4-5. I sent mine to Wilwood and they did it for about $80, which included new nozzles, bleed screws, seals, everything.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I swear I commented on this thread this morning and now it's not there.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Never mind. I see it was posted twice.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never mind. I see it was posted twice.
Yeah, my bad - I should have posted the question in this section in the first place. I'll go check out your comment over there... lol

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The piston bores are sealed with a square o ring and they can become swolen from fluid. If all the pistons were stuck I'd say check the brake line for a torn inner liner or some restriction. But if you can fit the new pads in no problem I wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I would put a 2x4 in between the pistons (with it still connected to the brake system) and press the pedal down to push all the pistons back out. Try to lube the exposed parts of the pistons and push them back in by hand. You might get lucky.

Blowing out the pistons with an air compressor is super dangerous if you aren't careful. Besides pistons flying out at super high speed, there will be an atomized brake fluid cloud to deal with. You have to have "just" the right size spacer in there to push them out far enough to remove.You might also run into a problem where all the pistons from one side push the spacer over to the other side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts