Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Only if you can't keep your foot from hammering the gas pedal all the time.

Less restriction isn't going to hurt your mileage. An engine is just an air pump, so less restriction on intake and exhaust sides will make it more efficient.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because contrary to what everyone else seems to think, I love this thing straight-piped. It's sooty as hell, and I think I'll be going to get a solid 3" piping all the way back to make it deeper, but as it is sounds kind of... nice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Especially on the highway at 80 mph when I come up next to a wall or a tunnel and I get to downshift and stomp it. So good.

So there is no left over exhaust gasses getting stuck in the chambers because of lack of gas scavenging?

·
Registered
88 Posts
In theory, I can only see fuel consumption improving...

But like others have said, once you enjoy the sound, you'll be tramping heavier on the accelerator, so fuel consumption will increase.

I have a dowpipe upgrade and resonator delete (stock muffler maintained), with a CAI and custom tune for performance (among a few other common upgrades).

I have gone from 9.5L per 100km to 11.6L per 100km with the various performance upgrades done... Sorry, but I am in South Africa, hence the L/KM instead of M/Gal etc...

But I would assume most of this change is due to the software tuning and a heavy foot. Stock motor/ECU with just a downpipe and muffler delete, I can't see too much damage to m/pg.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In theory, I can only see fuel consumption improving...

But like others have said, once you enjoy the sound, you'll be tramping heavier on the accelerator, so fuel consumption will increase.

I have a dowpipe upgrade and resonator delete (stock muffler maintained), with a CAI and custom tune for performance (among a few other common upgrades).

I have gone from 9.5L per 100km to 11.6L per 100km with the various performance upgrades done... Sorry, but I am in South Africa, hence the L/KM instead of M/Gal etc...

But I would assume most of this change is due to the software tuning and a heavy foot. Stock motor/ECU with just a downpipe and muffler delete, I can't see too much damage to m/pg.

Dude, your setup looks pretty clean. Mine isn't... I'm hasty and broke.

I bought it with a cobb cai, a bov, lowered and tuned suspension, and a tune but I don't know what tune, all I know is it runs up to 25 psi, and is a LOT faster than the other ST's I've... passed... I've since swapped the rmm and psmm with solid steel and 80 durometer respectively, removed the res and muffler, killed the symposer, busted a crack in the windshield, and knocked the bottom lip of the front bumper (replaced with a garden edging air dam, almost finished).

I was worried that the exhaust killed my mpgs, but I HAVE been gunning it more, and taking the freeway more.

I hope to have the motor and tranny completely wpc treated with my tax refund, hopefully that will help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
COBB access port etc, or custom tune running?

Improving MPG may be as simple as another custom tune/tune for better consumption, instead of performance... But with the work you say that's already been done to the car, I see that as a waste. ST is meant to GO!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, I could tune it for better mpg, but I want it to be fast as hell. I don't mind the mpg as is, I just wanted to make sure its not something destructive... unintentionally.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not sure which tune. I know it's tuned because of how much psi the computer is willing to let the turbo hit, and also how the dealership can't get into the programming. It's been married to a device and tuned, and the salesperson that sold it to me said that the guy who owned it before me had it tuned at a shop out in Buchanon MI, or somewhere around there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts