Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, obviously, as you can tell by the title I am interested in a Ford Focus ST. I am currently 18 years old and driving an 09 Toyota Corolla S. The car I have right now is doing its job getting me from here to there without any issues. I have recently got more into cars within the last year and a half as my friends around me have started to get more incredible upgrades/cars. In this time I have begun to go to car meets with them and long rides around the state. Right now in my little friend group we have: Honda Civic Type R, 370z, Veloster N, fully modded Camaro SS, Genesis Coupe 2.0T, Mustang, and a couple more I could care less to include.
Anyways, I am getting into the car scene and this car has always been one that stands out to me and I enjoy seeing on the road. I commute to college driving around 110 miles 5/7 days a week. I plan on driving the car easy through the week but letting it have some fun on a weekend every now and then(NOT EVERY WEEKEND). So, some things I would like to have answered and can only be answered by the best...
  1. Is the car reliable? I would change the oil every 5,000 miles as I do now. I need this car to last me roughly 3-5 years(probably around 180,000 miles in total) What major issues should I be aware of?
  2. Are there any models/years I should stay away from?
  3. Cars I am putting against it:
    1. BRZ/FR-S/86
    2. Veloster Turbo
    3. Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8l v6
  4. Would this be a great daily driver when driving 110+ miles every day?
The main reason that I am starting to look into another car is because my Corolla is approaching 220,000 miles...

·
Registered
298 Posts
I bought mine as a fun daily driver. I travel 60 miles per day.
The ST is fast, handles impressively, and still gets decent fuel mileage for having 250hp. Its something you can mod and have fun with and is a decent platform to learn on.
As far as reliability, these cars only have a couple minor flaws and overall are pretty good. Also i recommend leaving the factory tune in place, as these engines are fragile.
Do some searching on this forum and youll find a wealth of info and plenty of good topics.

The only downside i can see to any of the cars you listed will be insurance rates at your age. Dont forget to factor that in when shopping.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Old man chiming in with boring advice the 18 year old me would have dismissed had he been a little less pragmatic recommending driving the Corolla until it dies and save money for real estate or school. I've come close to buying weird exotics multiple times, several of which I would have likely been able to sell for a decent profit (Lamborghini Espada, Maserati Khamsin, and Alfa Romeo Montreal, the latter of which would have really worked out timing-wise and could have potentially sold for $100k over asking) and I also didn't restore the car I already had, instead spending money on fixing the lousy house (good location, though). Sold that house for more profit than all those cars would have gotten me in spite of buying during the real estate peak of 2006.

That said, my ST has over 130k on it, has a lifetime average of about 30 mpg, needed rear brakes recently, and a $50 purge valve at about 75k miles. The rest was tires and 10k mile oil changes. Oh, I also did a wiper blade recently.

I had a 2012 SE before this (also a great car—much better to drive than the Corolla and no less reliable if you get a manual transmission and avoid the whole DCT mess) that averaged 36 mpg on cheap gas and needed almost nothing until it was totaled by two morons at 204k (seemed like it only had 50k on it and I would guess it had another 50-100k before needing a clutch or something else semi expensive). The Camry that finally killed it was left dead on the highway, but I drove the Focus off the top of its hood and back home, so they're pretty tough cars, too. Of course, not as fast as the ST, but not a dog (though the ST isn't a rocket, it's about the right amount of power:weight for a fun daily driver), handles well, rides a little better, but you can't shut off the stability system (the last one if the biggest advantage of the ST, IMO, but I also have a lot of driving experience, a good amount of it on gravel and snow in analog cars). You can also get them really cheap. You have to look a little to find a manual, but they're out there. I suppose if you prefer a sedan style, there's that, too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you're driving 110 miles a day, I'd probably skip the ST and get an SE with the sport package and a manual trans. It'll be much better on gas, you can run the cheap stuff in it (so saving you probably $3-5 per tank, which you'll be filling a couple times a week). My ST I drive like a grandpa, usually, and I can eek out around 32.5 mpg on the summer-blend 91 octane, and am currently getting around 30.5 or so for the winter blend 91-octane garbage. Insurance rates are going to be a bit higher for the ST than the SE, for certain. You should probably call your insurance agent and get an estimate. Also, the SEs aren't commanding a premium like the STs are. FWIW, I pay $545 every 6 months for full coverage, 0 comp, 1000 collision, and 100k/300k/100k coverages. I'm 44, never had an at-fault accident, and never had a speeding ticket. My ST is a higher insurance rate than either my 2016 Transit 350 XLT or my 2017 Escape SE. I can't even imagine what they'd charge an 18 year old. Probably double to triple what I'm paying, and you'll have to keep decent insurance on it in case you wreck it and have to pay the loan back.

I did a quick autotrader search and found a few SEs with manuals within 100 miles of me, and a 3-year old one with 31K was only about $12K. A 2016 ST with similar mileage is running around $18,500. That's an additional 2 years of car payments at the same payment per month, and honestly, at 18... you should be spending money on college or saving for a house instead of cars. Since you're putting a lot of miles on your vehicle, you're going to cause it to depreciate in value a lot faster than normal, too... so if you get an $18.5K car, it's going to be worth a lot less than you owe on it in probably a year, and by year 2 you're going to be way upside down, thus making it harder for you to trade it in later and get anything back once it starts having issues..

Cars are disposable and depreciate (usually). Houses typically appreciate in value, so any money you can save now for a house instead of spending on a vehicle will make your life a lot better off in the future.

As far as fuel costs, I estimated you driving 27500 a year, (5*110*50) With an SE, getting 35 mpg, feeding it 87 octane for 2.40/gallon, I estimated your fuel costs at 1885 for the year. For the ST, at the same mileage, getting 29 mpg (if you're lucky), and feeding it premium for 2.99 (if you're lucky), your costs are going to be $2835. So, an extra $80 per month just in fuel. Add in the extra insurance costs, and the higher payments, you're going to be on the hook for a lot of extra $ for a fun car when your cash inflow is relatively low compared to your outflow.

I was 18 once, and I honestly wish I'd saved my money for stuff that really mattered. Sure, fun cars are enjoyable for a little bit of time, but that payment will get painful a lot sooner than expected and the fun wears off fast once the bills start rolling in and/or something breaks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
  1. Is the car reliable? YES I would change the oil every 5,000 miles as I do now. I need this car to last me roughly 3-5 years(probably around 180,000 miles in total) What major issues should I be aware of? NONE
  2. Are there any models/years I should stay away from? NO
    1. BRZ/FR-S/86 YES
    2. Veloster Turbo NO
    3. Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8l v6 NO
  4. Would this be a great daily driver when driving 110+ miles every day? YES

·
Registered
613 Posts
  1. Is the car reliable? I would change the oil every 5,000 miles as I do now. I need this car to last me roughly 3-5 years(probably around 180,000 miles in total) What major issues should I be aware of?
    1. BRZ/FR-S/86
    2. Veloster Turbo
1) Yes, definitely more reliable than one would expect. Beware the used market, though, because as much as half the ones out there have salvage titles.
2) Not really.
3) Check with your insurance agent before committing to any of the cars on your list. For being 18-yrs old and with the record STs have for being totaled, you might be in for a shock when coming from a Corolla!
4) If your 110 miles are highway miles, then yes. If those miles are in traffic with the potential for stop & go, then no, because rowing a 6-spd gearbox becomes a chore and fuel economy drops precipitiously.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Don't lie to yourself. Once you get an ST, you'll want to drive it all the time. You'll find excuses to drive it somewhere, and no matter what the price of gas is, you'll adjust your budget(if you have one) to the gas you will use. The aftermarket is HUGE for this, and that is where it all begins. My 2017 was purchased the same day I test drove it. It was supposed to be just a commuter(300 miles a week), but after 6 months, and many road trips, I have added 10,000 miles to the original 3600 6 months ago.

Read and learn. It is a solid car all the way down to the feel of the window switches, and turn signal switch. Nothing cheap about it. Pick a color, and go for it!

$10,000.00 more could have bought me a used RS, but that was out on my budget, and still is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This may not be the advice you are looking for but I would take the money you plan to spend on a car and get an apartment closer to school. It's very tempting to get a sporty car when the people you hang with have them. I've been there and it's frustrating not having a nice car at the time. I nearly bought a used E46 M3 in college just to have something cool to drive around in. I'm glad I made my car last another 4 years and bought my ST new so I had the piece of mind with no checkered history, lemon law protection and factory warranty. Also none of the cars you suggested will provide a nice ride for those long trips. If you still plan on making the drive I would consider a used Toyota Avalon, Acura TL or a Lexus IS200-50.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, obviously, as you can tell by the title I am interested in a Ford Focus ST. I am currently 18 years old and driving an 09 Toyota Corolla S. The car I have right now is doing its job getting me from here to there without any issues. I have recently got more into cars within the last year and a half as my friends around me have started to get more incredible upgrades/cars. In this time I have begun to go to car meets with them and long rides around the state. Right now in my little friend group we have: Honda Civic Type R, 370z, Veloster N, fully modded Camaro SS, Genesis Coupe 2.0T, Mustang, and a couple more I could care less to include.
Anyways, I am getting into the car scene and this car has always been one that stands out to me and I enjoy seeing on the road. I commute to college driving around 110 miles 5/7 days a week. I plan on driving the car easy through the week but letting it have some fun on a weekend every now and then(NOT EVERY WEEKEND). So, some things I would like to have answered and can only be answered by the best...
    1. BRZ/FR-S/86
    2. Veloster Turbo
The main reason that I am starting to look into another car is because my Corolla is approaching 220,000 miles...
I would recommend adding the Miata, mustang, and Civic si to your list, drive all of them, buy the one you like best. The st is a fun car you can live with easily, but so are others. Just stay away from bmw and vw, they make fun cars, but cost a fortune to keep running.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It’s a great daily. Super fun and comfortable, good on gas if you’re easy on the pedal, I’d say a big con for long drives is that these cars have a small gas tank, I’m lucky if I get close to 250 miles on one tank, but that also means a full tank is cheaper...

I almost got a Veloster Turbo before I got this. Also a fun car, also comfortable, but obviously less practical since it’s a 3 door, and it’s definitely a little slower (although still decently quick). I will say comparing stock to stock though, the Veloster handled MUCH better than my ST, it was a little stiffer, tighter steering, less body roll, etc. but the ST still handles great, and could most likely be as good if not better with coils and sway bars.

I got a couple friends with the Genesis Coupe 3.8, they both really like them, I do too, but the V6’s are obviously gonna be worse on gas.

My best advice would be to just drive as many of them as you can, and see what you enjoy the most (while also factoring in your needs). NA V6’s vs. turbo I4 are very different driving feels, but both lots of fun. In the end they’re all good cars and it’s just personal preference.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have to agree with the other mindful old farts here, a club I happen to be a member of.
You're 18, insurance is a real [email protected]#$%# at your age for one. So don't forget to investigate that before you make any moves. You could be talking about 200 bucks a month depending on where you are just for insurance.
Frankly, I'd drive that Toyota until the gears fall out, then I'd get another similar beater. Insurance is cheap, tires are cheap, it loves 89 octane, you don't have to give a damn about door dings or scratches, spill a coke on the seat, you can just take a power washer to it. There's a lot to be said for driving a beater. And you'll be saving your cash for fast women and beer to boot.
However, if you insist (and this debt will haunt you for quite some time, so think twice, then think again), the ST seems to be a pretty good and reliable platform until you start modifying stuff. I had a '13, but only ran it up to about 35K miles when I traded it in for an '18 that currently has around 2K on it. So, I can't vouch for high mileage durability, but it's of decent quality for an economy car. I'm pretty biased though, I've owned a lot of cars of various brands, but I'm a pretty strong Ford guy... and I always end up right back driving one after straying to try something else.
Anyway, sorry for sounding like your dad, but going into debt for a damned car at your age almost always ends in regret

1 - 11 of 11 Posts