Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
If the comments to action ratio doesn't improve I'm going to call a 388. Starting to have flashbacks.
LOL . . . the comments have to be current to the thread's developments . . . not retro to the beginning of it . . . . "We're" on to "solid bushings at every location possible" as the solution to the problem . . . . : - )))))) We still don't know where it has been made solid and where it remains . . . unsolid????

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Speaking of which- what is the collective wisdom on the solid cable end shift bushing mod on these cars? My <20kmi 2017 shifts fine as is (but I don't try to shift particularly fast). Is cutting out the rubber bushings and inserting the aluminum ones something I should do, or "if it aint broke- don't fix it"?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Speaking of which- what is the collective wisdom on the solid cable end shift bushing mod on these cars? My <20kmi 2017 shifts fine as is (but I don't try to shift particularly fast). Is cutting out the rubber bushings and inserting the aluminum ones something I should do, or "if it aint broke- don't fix it"?
@Mzdrati

I was going to let the WOTL reply to your question . . . but seems like the crowds have moved on . . . . You can see the other posts here to get the idea . . . I found that shifting with the OEM stuff was wildly variable as apparently there is so much flex in the mounting of engine and trans . . . and then in the shifting cables . . . that I felt I had to do something to make it perform better. And that was from around . . . I can't remember . . . low miles. I'm an older guy . . . moving over from motors to keep some enthusiasm in the driving/riding experience, so I like to maintain a speed through the turns, rather than top end triple digit runs followed by maximum braking and heel-toeing into a hairpin turn . . . type of a guy. I was using two and 2.5 fingers to shift the car yesterday and still had it "grind the syncros" for one shift out of many . . . .

I did the mountune rmm and then their Quickshifter AND the "solid bushings" that they sold back in . . . might have been '19 . . . which might have been what they still have on the site . . . or not?? One of the gents here recommended ALL of the bushings going solid . . . of which it seemed that there are "three" places to do that . . . of which I did "one" . . . . That one upgrade to solid did improve the shifting feel and consistency . . . but not 100% . . . . Seems like there are some areas of known weakness in the platform and it's hard to know if I'm hitting one or a few of them, from, "easy to fix" to "going into the tranny" to get it done . . . . I'd like to avoid breaking open the transmission as long as possible . . . just because I'm a cheap old guy.

If I can replace a few more of the bushings with solid bushings . . . I'll prolly get around to it . . . because I have had the problem with "missing shifts" when I'm doing the same mechanical moves . . . .

But, short answer, if you aren't having anything happen that motivates you to "make a move" . . . wait on it. Machines break. There is or will be something that requires fixing . . . no need to ponder the decision, etc.

Reactions: Mzdrati

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
@Mzdrati

I was going to let the WOTL reply to your question . . . but seems like the crowds have moved on . . . . You can see the other posts here to get the idea . . . I found that shifting with the OEM stuff was wildly variable as apparently there is so much flex in the mounting of engine and trans . . . and then in the shifting cables . . . that I felt I had to do something to make it perform better. And that was from around . . . I can't remember . . . low miles. I'm an older guy . . . moving over from motors to keep some enthusiasm in the driving/riding experience, so I like to maintain a speed through the turns, rather than top end triple digit runs followed by maximum braking and heel-toeing into a hairpin turn . . . type of a guy. I was using two and 2.5 fingers to shift the car yesterday and still had it "grind the syncros" for one shift out of many . . . .

I did the mountune rmm and then their Quickshifter AND the "solid bushings" that they sold back in . . . might have been '19 . . . which might have been what they still have on the site . . . or not?? One of the gents here recommended ALL of the bushings going solid . . . of which it seemed that there are "three" places to do that . . . of which I did "one" . . . . That one upgrade to solid did improve the shifting feel and consistency . . . but not 100% . . . . Seems like there are some areas of known weakness in the platform and it's hard to know if I'm hitting one or a few of them, from, "easy to fix" to "going into the tranny" to get it done . . . . I'd like to avoid breaking open the transmission as long as possible . . . just because I'm a cheap old guy.

If I can replace a few more of the bushings with solid bushings . . . I'll prolly get around to it . . . because I have had the problem with "missing shifts" when I'm doing the same mechanical moves . . . .

But, short answer, if you aren't having anything happen that motivates you to "make a move" . . . wait on it. Machines break. There is or will be something that requires fixing . . . no need to ponder the decision, etc.
Thank you for that well thought out reply.

I think I'm thinking the same thing. I really love working on this car, and although I've only done a handful of small mods- all of them have made a positive difference in the way the car works, looks, sounds and feels- so I guess that is part of my impetus. I might pick up a set of these solid bushings if I find them on sale at some point to have on hand if I'm working on the car and am going to be in there anyway...

·
Registered
145 Posts
@Mzdrati

Took a couple seconds to pop the hood and snap this picture. These are mountune solid cable end bushings (black with mountune logo, center of the photo), and I am 99% sure Mountune never sold solid shifter base bushings for the INSIDE of the car. It should take you a few seconds to figure out as well whether you have them. They did make a big difference in shifter feel for me. I installed mine with red loctite, but in retrospect wish I had used blue in case I never need to get them off. I could probably pop them off the arm with a pry bar, but would likely destroy the reusable little green bushing in the process, which no one seems to make separately.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Synthetic rubber Gas

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Took a couple seconds to pop the hood and snap this picture. These are mountune solid cable end bushings (black with mountune logo, center of the photo), and I am 99% sure Mountune never sold solid shifter base bushings for the INSIDE of the car. It should take you a few seconds to figure out as well whether you have them. They did make a big difference in shifter feel for me. I installed mine with red loctite, but in retrospect wish I had used blue in case I never need to get them off. I could probably pop them off the arm with a pry bar, but would likely destroy the reusable little green bushing in the process, which no one seems to make separately.
@Aaron_ST1

Thanks for the photo . . . I'll try for it again . . . . But, yes, my recollection is that mountune just had one "solid bushing" product . . . which I paid for, just can't prove it. I would like to get the shifting to be consistent up and down the gears . . . . Now that I know there are more bushings to make solid I'll put that on the wish-list . . . .

·
Registered
534 Posts

View attachment 411600
You still have the sound symposer installed?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
You still have the sound symposer installed?
Not sure if the question was to the OP . . . but, yes, I still have that . . . . Are you suggesting that the symposer might be contributing to my intermittent shift problems??

I'm one of those, "I'm not going down the rabbit hole on upgrades on this one, just whatever needs to be done," so far the symposer hasn't been intrusive to my driving experience . . . .

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Don't want to derail the OPs thread any more, but yes, I still have the symposer, lol. I realize it may cause a boost leak one day, but I don't have an aftermarket exhaust and it provides some entertainment, lol.
@Aaron_ST1

Too late . . . thread degradation has already hit, blowing pieces of data all over the place . . . .

But, right, not having done any tune or anything other than IC upgrade . . . there is the entertainment factor when getting frisky with the throttle that is . . . amusing. And, the price for amusement is always . . . high . . . . : - )))

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

View attachment 411600
@TurboGT && @Aaron_ST1

So I spent about 15 minutes shining a light into the innards, looking for the taletale B&W winner flag logo . . . but did not prevail . . . . I didn't recognize anything that might be for "shifting" . . . . I even popped the plastic engine shroud off, but that didn't seem to make any difference. This should be to the (facing into it) on the right side of the engine, under the main air intake tube . . . .

One thing I didn't do was push tubes around, but where you are showing the approx. 1.5" "vacuum hose" looking item, I have a similar tube that looks like it's covered with some "fiber glass" looking cover??

Based upon what you are showing in the photo it should have been "obvious" . . . but it wasn't . . . . I'll have to try again at some point, OR try to contact mountune about my history of parts/installs . . . . It would be "irritating" to have paid for parts and installs that might not have happened??? More used to stuff being done, that wasn't needed, rather than not installing stuff at all. : - 0

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,901 Posts
Get a bright light down there and take several photos and upload them here. Get your hand down deep, don't take pics from where you stand. We should be able to see something from one of your pics

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
So I found my email discussion with mountune back in March '19 . . . even then the issue was . . . similar, where I said, "tranny doesn't seem to realize clutch is depressed . . . " Still didn't find the parts receipt, but it shows that quick shifter and solid bushings were installed . . . 2 hrs labor charged.

Mar 20, 2019, 10:02 AM
subject:Re: Mountune--quick shifter/bushing upgrade report
Just wanted to give you the update on the shifter/bushing upgrade, which so far is freaking fabulous, it does make shifting very "intuitive" . . . rather than what was before, often "vague" and "imprecise" now shifts just work, rather than requiring mental/physical attention to get done . . . it's one of those, "How could Ford build this car with this wobbly shift linkage for a 'performance car' when the fix is so relatively inexpensive, and it's now so much better?" . . . whhyyyyyy????

It's not entirely "perfect" . . . there have been a couple times when tranny doesn't seem to know I have the clutch depressed . . . and moments of not "clean" gear shifting, particularly when dropping into 2nd . . . possibly due to what you were mentioning about the syncro having "issues" . . . but overall it is "night and day" from what it was and does increase the "fun factor" by a large margin . . . well worth it, so thanks for the recommend(s).

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 11:07 AM mountune wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for your email. My recommendation would be to do the Mountune quick shift and bushings. This will tighten up the shifts and make them more direct. With doing the shifter bushing though once they are done you can not go back to stock. You will need to purchase new shifter cables. If you are in the socal area you are more then welcome to come down and you can feel the shifter in my car to get an idea of what it will feel like.

Please let me know if you have any questions

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Get a bright light down there and take several photos and upload them here. Get your hand down deep, don't take pics from where you stand. We should be able to see something from one of your pics
@TurboGT && @Aaron_ST1 et al:

Still not sure what I was looking for, shined some light in there and still didn't see any mountune logo . . . but MAYBE these two photos might be showing something cable-like that you are looking for???

Otherwise, perhaps the mountune part is on the tranny end of the cables??? As posted above went in concurrent with their Quickshifter part . . . .

[photos removed since they didn't show anything relevant]

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,901 Posts
Yeah your picture is pointing more towards the engine. Focus the camera more underneath your airbox and get 6 or 8 different pictures all from different points of view.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Tread

Yeah your picture is pointing more towards the engine. Focus the camera more underneath your airbox and get 6 or 8 different pictures all from different points of view.
@TurboGT

A tad bit difficult to get a light in there and then get a shot without blocking the light . . . under the airbox, yes, I saw the Quickshifter . . . still didn't see a mountune logo . . . not sure if their part went to the tranny side??? Waiting for the holiday to be over before emailing or calling them to see if they have my history of purchases, etc.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

Cloud Automotive lighting Musician Sky Tints and shades

• Helpful
Reactions: ViolatedST

·
Super Moderator
8,901 Posts
Looks like I see a non-stock bushing insert in the one picture. So it is confirmed, you already have the cable end bushings.

As far as your original concern. I've never had any issues with the MMT6. Although I have the stock shift arm. And only put a stock focus RS shifter inside the car which accounts for a 10% reduction in throw. I have solid base and cable bushings, myself.

When you reduce throws as much as these aftermarket parts do, you amplify shifting issues.

Its really hard saying what is happening with your car without experiencing it first hand. Is it a mechanical issue? Clutch hydraulic issue? Is it the human element? We could speculate all day.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Looks like I see a non-stock bushing insert in the one picture. So it is confirmed, you already have the cable end bushings.

As far as your original concern. I've never had any issues with the MMT6. Although I have the stock shift arm. And only put a stock focus RS shifter inside the car which accounts for a 10% reduction in throw. I have solid base and cable bushings, myself.

When you reduce throws as much as these aftermarket parts do, you amplify shifting issues.

Its really hard saying what is happening with your car without experiencing it first hand. Is it a mechanical issue? Clutch hydraulic issue? Is it the human element? We could speculate all day.
@TurboGT

OK, great, thanks for the reply and confirmation on the "cable end bushings" . . . . So according to a previous post, there are potentially two other options for "bushings" to be installed? Is that the "solid base" and "cable bushings" that you installed . . . as opposed to "cable end bushings"???? Seems like the RS shifter isn't available anymore??

But, yes, due to the intermittent nature of the problem, but one that has been around since I got the car, it is hard to piece together where exactly the problem(s) can be found and/or rectified. Adding more solid bushings seems to be a relatively (compared to motor mounts) cheap endeavor . . . .

The fact that at times when the "grinding" missed shift happens, with foot in the clutch, seems like it might be "clutch hydraulic issue" in play . . . I did do fresh clutch/brake oil at three years?? or maybe two?? as per what we do with moto clutch fluid that absorbs moisture here in beach adjacent LA environment . . . so likely not "the fluid" . . . . Then we looked at "rubber hydraulic tubes" as a source of problems in the clutch line of the bike . . . .

I see that there might be steel-braided clutch line aftermarket for the over the tranny part of the ST clutch line?? Could be that as car warms up that part that is now rubber would expand and cause problems?? But, in actual application of shifting, so far these issues happen one time on a drive of 100 miles or so . . . don't increase in frequency, but just show up and then go away. But do regualrly now happen on each drive, rather than every few.

·
Super Moderator
8,901 Posts
So the cable bushings and cable end bushings would be the same. We only have an option to change the ones at the trans.

There are shifter base bushings which solid mount the shifter assembly to the floor of the car.

Lastly there are shift cable bracket bushings which solid mount the steel cable bracket to the body of the trans.

Since you're suspecting a clutch issue, due to how intermittent this is, you're probably going to continue to throw parts at it to see if anything remedies it. But I will guarantee you bushings are not going to fix a clutch/hydraulic issue.

The braided stainless clutch line is a good idea. It gets rid of the stock rubber line as well as the clutch restrictor. The restrictor is a known source of issues.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts