Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have the shifter base, trans bracket and Alex the machinist bushings with the RS shifter. There is more effort, noise and notchiness.

[

Yes, this has been my experience.
OK, "shifter base"??? So some kind of aftermarket "base" that the shifter unit then mounts to?? And then, an after market "bracket" for the transmission?? which in my case would be in addition to the transmission UMM?? to further hold the transmission to prevent flex??? And then going to the RS shifter??

I'm OK with more effort, noise and notchiness . . . IF it works to get rid of the missed shifts . . . ??? Had the ST out and about today with a run up the coastal highway and back on freeway . . . had a 5 -4 downshift that almost was blown, but was able to get it to neutral and retry and it "worked"-- which before all of the motor mounts would likely have blown . . . with much grinding, etc.

And, then, in bumper to bumper traffic back on the coast highway going into SM . . . as people were checking out a car that had burst into flames . . . had to work the clutch like a mad dog, one episode where taking it out of 1 it caused a mini-second of gear grinding??? Again, one of those, WTF shifting moments where somebody slacked off, or several somebodies quit doing their jobs . . . THAT problem is what I would make some effort to get rid of . . . .

I can't believe that 2014 had a better shifting materials than other years . . . maybe the individual just "got lucky" and all the good stuff got put together by a top installer on a good day on the line??? I'm not beating my car around tracks and expecting top quality machine for budget bucks, just something that works nominally w/o regular, but inconsistent shifting "glitches" that interfere with regular driving of it . . . which has happened enough times as to warrant a beef thread on it . . . .

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
If you’re asking about the bushings mentioned, here are a couple of links which (should) help explain what we were talking about. I don’t believe the RS shifter assembly is offered anymore by Ford.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If you’re asking about the bushings mentioned, here are a couple of links which (should) help explain what we were talking about. I don’t believe the RS shifter assembly is offered anymore by Ford.

@davesST

OK, thanks for the links . . . it looks like those are for the same part(s) . . . but from different suppliers???

I believe I did that "solid bushings" already?? I searched my mountune account history, it had the first thing I did with them their RMM, but didn't seem to show the bushings, but I think it was what they are now showing as:

Mountune solid bushings product

That did improve the shifting quite a bit, but these intermittent problems aren't greatness in motoring . . . .

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
@davesST

OK, thanks for the links . . . it looks like those are for the same part(s) . . . but from different suppliers???

I believe I did that "solid bushings" already?? I searched my mountune account history, it had the first thing I did with them their RMM, but didn't seem to show the bushings, but I think it was what they are now showing as:

Mountune solid bushings product

That did improve the shifting quite a bit, but these intermittent problems aren't greatness in motoring . . . .
Nope, different parts. Shifter bracket (3 bushings) goes in the engine compartment. The other (4) bushings) is underneath the shift lever in the cabin. If you’re missing shifts, I would suggest checking out your engine & transmission mounts. That’s provided you haven’t checked them already.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Nope, different parts. Shifter bracket (3 bushings) goes in the engine compartment. The other (4) bushings) is underneath the shift lever in the cabin. If you’re missing shifts, I would suggest checking out your engine & transmission mounts. That’s provided you haven’t checked them already.
@davesST:

OK, different parts . . . I guess I got the "under the shift lever" parts already, but possibly not the "engine compartment" side.

Already did the three motor mounts . . . does make the driving experience more visceral . . . and also eliminates the weave that happened before when stepping on the throttle . . . just tracks straight as an arrow . . . that part is great.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What you want are solid shifter cable bushings. It’s the only way to get rid of the bounce when sliding into gear. I did everything else you’ve done plus an RS shifter. The feel was just ok until I replaced the spongy cable bushings with solid bushings.
@deathlydistracted

OK, thanks for the post back on the thread . . . possibly those were mentioned before and link provided earlier in the thread?? I'm still not clear what the distinction is between the Mountune "solid bushings" . . . which I did (thinking those had something to do with the shifting cables?? at the time) . . . and the cable bushings???

The Mountune units were done with their Quickshifter . . . the problem with that outfit is that they don't let you back in the garage to see where stuff is going . . . nor did they do any "education" about how to improve the shifting with more stuff (possibly because they didn't have any more stuff, short of total rebuild on the tranny), and nothing mentioned about where the parts they installed went, etc.

So, I'm getting the idea that I need more "solid bushings" . . . is this something like "the solid cable ENDS" that go into the solid bushings, which should be at both ends of the cable(s)??? because the cables are still wobbly where they go into the solid bushings???

·
Super Moderator
12,731 Posts
@deathlydistracted
So, I'm getting the idea that I need more "solid bushings" . . . is this something like "the solid cable ENDS" that go into the solid bushings, which should be at both ends of the cable(s)??? because the cables are still wobbly where they go into the solid bushings???
Yes, something like these:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yes, something like these:
@ddfred

Thanks for providing the link . . . I'll check into it . . . other stuff going on right now, but I'll get there. I read the other thread in the digest about "Is the '18 transmission reliable?" with the instructions about using two fingers to shift, etc . . . . I might be using three, but even today . . . driving the better half to a cardiology appt in LA traffic (i.e., no room to hammer the car) and just motoring along still had the intermittent, sometimes "pock" and sometimes "queasy don't feel like going into that gear" . . . . If a $30 part gets me past that issue it'll prolly get done .. . .

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,901 Posts
If you still have reciepts, post the part number of those Mountune solid bushings. We will be able to see exactly which ones they replaced.

If not, you can lift the hood, shine a light under the airbox area and take a couple of pictures of the shift arm and we will be able to tell if the bushings are stock or not.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If you still have reciepts, post the part number of those Mountune solid bushings. We will be able to see exactly which ones they replaced.

If not, you can lift the hood, shine a light under the airbox area and take a couple of pictures of the shift arm and we will be able to tell if the bushings are stock or not.
@TurboGT

Thanks for the reply . . . I probably still do have the receipt from Mountune. But in post #27 I put a link to what seems to be the only ?? "solid bushings" product that they offer, which they paired with the quickshifter upgrade . . . . It seems from the posts that there might be three places for "solid bushings"??? So I possibly have one of them upgraded??

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,901 Posts
@theBluFlash yes those are the cable end bushings that were mentioned in previous posts. But who knows if they had other products in the past that they discontinued, etc. We don't know for sure, until we know for sure.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
@theBluFlash yes those are the cable end bushings that were mentioned in previous posts. But who knows if they had other products in the past that they discontinued, etc. We don't know for sure, until we know for sure.
@TurboGT

Looks like we're going into "slo-mo" on this one . . . looked around for the paper trail or email trail on the purchase, and so far, there is none??? So, I'll have to snap a shot at some point . . . but, right now jammed . . . .

Back atcha if and when I find the paperwork, maybe in the car?? or snap a shot somewhere "under the hood" . . . see if you can make sense of it. I know I did "solid bushing" along with Quick shifter . . . but right now, "no evidence of the krime" . . . (odd) . . . .

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
@TurboGT

Still no luck on finding the receipts from mountune installation . . . . I popped the hood this morning, it's like a total CF in there, where am I going to shine a light so that something will show up it such a way that I can take a clear photo?? I don't see how there is any room to be able to snap anything without it being the airbox photo-bombing the snap?? : - 0

tBF

·
Registered
'18 ST1+ Euro Sync3 Blue Recaros
310 Posts
@STallion18 shared the video with all the answers. A flashlight is your friend. You just need to be lower/closer to the bumper to have the angle to see it. In this screen grab hes pointing to the black bushing that has the white clip we're referring to.

Aftermarket intake? Yes. But the overall available space to acess is the same.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Thigh

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
@STallion18 shared the video with all the answers. A flashlight is your friend. You just need to be lower/closer to the bumper to have the angle to see it. In this screen grab hes pointing to the black bushing that has the white clip we're referring to.

Aftermarket intake? Yes. But the overall available space to acess is the same.
@ViolatedST:

OK, well, in one of my old computers I'm running a linux "alpha" edition that doesn't have the video driver that shows "moving pictures" yet . . . .

But, in the case of @TurboGT 's previous post, we weren't trying to do the reset, but instead get a look at whether the shift cables are solid . . . or unsolid . . . ??? I did the mountune "solid bushings" when I did their quickshifter, but I can't seem to find the receipt that would be the proof of what part I bought . . . so Turbo suggested "shining a light in there" and that would light the photo, of . . . the parts . . . of which in there are a bunch of parts . . . .

When I get back to my desktop I'll try to watch the video . . . if indeed it also shows how to check for the solid bushings, as well as doing the reset . . . . So far I'm not at the point where the shifting problem is consistent enough to warrant fiddling with that. Took a modest canyon run today and out of the many shifts, one shift was "blown" in the typical fashion, clutch in, 2.5 finger shift and today's shifting error was "grinding" while trying to get it into gear. Then after that numerous shifts that were like . . . 2 finger joy . . . .

21 - 40 of 62 Posts