Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear a lot of people talking about how they want their BPV to be louder, but mine is very loud (it even releases air sometimes when I let off under relatively light load). It's super loud with the windows down and windows up w/ no A/C or radio, and I can still hear it over the AC some.

In my last turbo car (Audi A4), you had to wind it up pretty good to get it to vent pressure (and I was running ~22psi).

Bought it used from a dealership with 4k miles (although the previous owner did put on rock flaps and debadged the rear).

Is there a way I can tell if my BPV is stock or if there's an issue with it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Turn your steering wheel all the way to the right. Then take a look by the wheel well and the stock bpv should not be noticeable. If it's after market usually the are metal and colored.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
I hear a lot of people talking about how they want their BPV to be louder, but mine is very loud (it even releases air sometimes when I let off under relatively light load). It's super loud with the windows down and windows up w/ no A/C or radio, and I can still hear it over the AC some.

In my last turbo car (Audi A4), you had to wind it up pretty good to get it to vent pressure (and I was running ~22psi).

Bought it used from a dealership with 4k miles (although the previous owner did put on rock flaps and debadged the rear).

Is there a way I can tell if my BPV is stock or if there's an issue with it?

Thanks in advance!
Can you lift the car at all? Take off the passenger front wheel and look at the turbo. It will be around here:
IMG_0215.jpg

And should look like the one on the left if it is stock:

hqdefault.jpg

If all else fails take a picture of that area and post it here.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does the car have the stock paper filter or an open ended cone filter? Look at the right side of the airbox. It will have a circle cut out of the box. The stock filter completely blocks this hole whereas a something like a Green filter will be an open cone to the filter media. The stock BPV isn't overly quiet with an open ended filter. To me, it's perfect. I can't stand the stupidly loud BOVs, but I do enjoy the reminder of what lurks under the hood! With the paper, closed end filter, the BPV is pretty quiet though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@Ayada - Thanks man! Exactly what I needed
@soonercane - I checked the filter last night, it's the stock paper filter, actually have a Green filter on the way

If it turns out there it is a stock BPV, is there any concern? If so, I'll probably take it to a dealership to look at (as much as I hate to do that, it is under warranty...)

·
Registered
381 Posts
@Ayada - Thanks man! Exactly what I needed
@soonercane - I checked the filter last night, it's the stock paper filter, actually have a Green filter on the way

If it turns out there it is a stock BPV, is there any concern? If so, I'll probably take it to a dealership to look at (as much as I hate to do that, it is under warranty...)
If the stock BPV is making noticeable noise and you don't have any intake modifications it may be broken/torn and causing a leak.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/20258-stock-bpv-failure.html

If that is the case, definitely get it looked at sooner than later as it has destroyed a few turbos.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just jack up the front passanger side, remove the wheel and have a quick look. Just don't forget to torque the lug nuts when your done.

Sent from another garage.
Always do. 100 ft/lbs and a double-check after driving a few miles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If you're stock and untuned, you should be maxing at 14-15 psi.
Ah! For some reason I thought stock boost was higher.

I know for a fact it's holding 15psi no problem. Just seems awfully loud for a stock BPV. It's loud enough that I get looks from people with their windows down, even if I'm not dogging it.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Ah! For some reason I thought stock boost was higher.

I know for a fact it's holding 15psi no problem. Just seems awfully loud for a stock BPV. It's loud enough that I get looks from people with their windows down, even if I'm not dogging it.
Stock boost is max 21, yes. If it was used, it is possible the previous owner had a different BPV installed. Then when returning to stock, maybe didn't tighten the bolts all the way. Ask me how I know!!!

Its because I didn't tighten my bolts all the way, and my mountune BPV was EXTREMELY loud. And it wasn't like they were loose, I tightened the bolts pretty far. I got the wheel back off, realized I could get a few more turns out of them, and the noise went away. Not saying that's your problem, but it could be!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Stock boost is max 21, yes. If it was used, it is possible the previous owner had a different BPV installed. Then when returning to stock, maybe didn't tighten the bolts all the way. Ask me how I know!!!

Its because I didn't tighten my bolts all the way, and my mountune BPV was EXTREMELY loud. And it wasn't like they were loose, I tightened the bolts pretty far. I got the wheel back off, realized I could get a few more turns out of them, and the noise went away. Not saying that's your problem, but it could be!
Or when putting it back together they put the bracket back in in the wrong order. Not that I would know anything about that at all. Nope.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If that bracket was between the turbo and valve you wouldn't make full boost. It would leak really bad.

Sent from another garage.
I forgot what stupid way I did it, I think the bracket was sandwiched between the two plastic parts. I also didn't push it hard, I heard more turbo noise than I was expecting and turned right around. Didn't even make it a block.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

@Peregriner Do you happen to know the socket size for those bolts?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts