·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would check the spec on the sub to see what the recommended enclosure cubic inch space required is, as that Sony sub enclosure was probably designed specifically for that sub. its a pretty compact box so if there is difference of more than about 10 cubic inches the sub might not sound great.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I had a Rockford Fisgate shallow mount 8 in the factory box. Upgraded to a shallow mount kicker CompRT 8". The kicker works fine in the box volume wise, but I had to add an MDF ring to get it to fit the box properly.

Reactions: Toadster

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
At the least I would add a spacer ring around the sub to push it out and give it a little more breathing space for sure, the Sony sub was pretty anemic in the airspace requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toadster

·
Registered
198 Posts
typically the more powerful the sub, power RMS, and durability of the cone and surround material the less airspace you can get away with because the sub is able to Push harder than the sony amp. However you usually want to abide by air space requirements on a sub as its TUNED to that, and any large deviations usually cause large tonal inaccuracies throughout the frequency response range of the sub in other words sound like crap.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a Rockford Fisgate shallow mount 8 in the factory box. Upgraded to a shallow mount kicker CompRT 8". The kicker works fine in the box volume wise, but I had to add an MDF ring to get it to fit the box properly.
Pics?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
@Toadster ...

Original upgrade... Rockford Fosgate P3D2-8. Decent dual voice coil sub that fit in stock enclosure. I ran it with the factory amplifier.

IMG_0275.jpg

MDF Ring for Kicker. Countersunk for OEM screws. Subwoofer then screwed into the MDF ring. Ring painted black and covered with shellac to maintain seal. Also used silicone sealant to keep everything airtight. I also added some subwoofer fill to the enclosure. Polyfill works, but this is the denser speaker enclosure foam that is intended for this purpose.

IMG_1042.jpg

Kicker Comp RT-8. Cannot remember if I wired the 1 ohm in series or the two ohm version in parallel. Another dual voice coil sub. Switched to this when I added my LCQ1 and JVC Amplifier to the system.

IMG_1043.jpg

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It puts out plenty of bass for my tastes (Pop, Rock, Classical, and Jazz). Balances well with my current setup. Certainly enough bass to shake the car when you turn it up. As long as you do not expect it to sound like a couple of 12s in a big box you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nothing too special man. I justed wanted something clean and simple, no massive current draw or giant box. I've been into car audio for quite sometime now. I think I'm about at the age I should scale back so here's the route I went.

Front doors: alpine type r 6.5 components
Rear door: type r 6.5 2 way
sub : 8"type r
Center channel : disconnected
amp: alpine pdx5
loc: lc7i
Resistor network: jl audio cl-lsa
stinger rcas
roadkill deadener on trunk floor and door skins
All the gear in the trunk is interfaced into the factory wiring using male/female db9 connectors.
Sub box came out to @ .4 cu internal using 3/4" birch and just barely clears the sub magnet.
For what I got in this stereo it sounds great. Sure I would like to be able to eq a few frequencies and add more bass but I'll always say that.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have the Kicker CompRT 8" shallow mount in my ST3. Upgraded everything and added a Rockford amp. I currently have 300watts RMS going to the Kicker and it shakes the car. Get some dynomat because you will start to hear rattles. Love it though, I would never go back to the stock setup.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the Kicker CompRT 8" shallow mount in my ST3. Upgraded everything and added a Rockford amp. I currently have 300watts RMS going to the Kicker and it shakes the car. Get some dynomat because you will start to hear rattles. Love it though, I would never go back to the stock setup.
very nice!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Details or a build thread right MEOW!
That looks awesome. Wish I could find someone to odo the exact same thing for me. The stealth box is way to much money haha

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how did you wire it up?

412UNh5sMrL.jpg

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 36 Posts