Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, just picked up this whoosh intercooler which i’m super excited about. But i got a few questions before tackling the install- anyone here who installed this themselves have any issues with it at all? In terms of the mounting brackets it comes with, and if you used the factory hardware for the install?
also i am currently on factory “tune” and done my research so assuming this is safe to run without a tune. I am thinking about going stage 1 at least in the near future though. Thanks!!
Grille Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive parking light

·
Registered
2017 ST atp 2867, cp-e fmic ,invidia hi-flow downpipe, awe track , steeda Cai. Tuned by edge
217 Posts
That fmic fits perfect with no issues. I believe you will reuse the bolt for the map sensor. You will want to get t bolt clamps for the charge pipes over reusing the factory clamps. Be careful not to tear the rubber on stock charge pipe when removing the clamp as it has a metal tab that holds the worm gear clamp to the hose. As for the tune you will be fine on stock tune although you won’t see any of the gains from installing the fmic besides better air temps. At minimum grab stratified flash tune with a revision. It’s night and day from the stock tune. Please stay off Cobb ots tunes

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That fmic fits perfect with no issues. I believe you will reuse the bolt for the map sensor. You will want to get t bolt clamps for the charge pipes over reusing the factory clamps. Be careful not to tear the rubber on stock charge pipe when removing the clamp as it has a metal tab that holds the worm gear clamp to the hose. As for the tune you will be fine on stock tune although you won’t see any of the gains from installing the fmic besides better air temps. At minimum grab stratified flash tune with a revision. It’s night and day from the stock tune. Please stay off Cobb ots tunes
awesome thanks alot man, I appreciate the extra advice and ill go out and grab a few t bolt clamps!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Absolutely get some proper T-bolt clamps.

Also, check out CJ Pony Parts for some really well done walk-throughs on installs. Even though I had done it before, it was a great refresher and probably saved me from an extra step or two (or three) when doing a new one.

Just be really careful with your sensors. For some reason people like to disregard how fragile they are. Definitely not hard to be gentle and keep them out of the way 👍

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,868 Posts
These guys about covered it.

I just wanted to mention, you said you'd load stage 1 tune. I'm assuming you're talking about the Cobb tune. I'd recommend not doing that.

While an IC doesn't gain horsepower on the stock tune per se, the car will be faster with it. Reason being. If you do a 1-4 gear pull on the stock intercooler. By the time you're in 3rd gear your engine is gradually making less and less power due to the increasingly hot charge air. You might only have 200hp in 4th gear and that will continue to decrease depending how long your foot is on the floor.

With the larger Intercooler, you will maintain 250hp in every gear no matter how long your foot is in the throttle.

Just wait on the tune, or load stage 0 for now and get acclimated with the accessport. Then save up and buy a custom tune or the Adapt-x and load that tune at that time

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Absolutely get some proper T-bolt clamps.

Also, check out CJ Pony Parts for some really well done walk-throughs on installs. Even though I had done it before, it was a great refresher and probably saved me from an extra step or two (or three) when doing a new one.

Just be really careful with your sensors. For some reason people like to disregard how fragile they are. Definitely not hard to be gentle and keep them out of the way 👍
i would be looking for a set of 2.5”-2.8”clamps right? Yeah I’ve been watching a whole lot of CJ pony parts and install videos on aftermarket intercoolers, which definitely helps prepare me for what to expect lol. I’ll definitely be watching how carefully I treat the map sensor then, probably not cheap to replace I’d imagine. Thanks again for your reply smokinjoe!! It’s awesome how tightly knit the focus ST community is and oh boy is it helpful in cases like this haha

·
Super Moderator
8,868 Posts
Regardless if you use t bolts or not (I'm big turbo, stock charge pipes, stock worm clamps) absolutely make sure you clean the inside of the couplers with brake clean or rubbing alcohol to get all the oil off. They need to be totally dry on assembly or they will blow off even with T bolt clamps.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regardless if you use t bolts or not (I'm big turbo, stock charge pipes, stock worm clamps) absolutely make sure you clean the inside of the couplers with brake clean or rubbing alcohol to get all the oil off. They need to be totally dry on assembly or they will blow off even with T bolt clamps.
Thanks a ton for the extra input man. I read about giving the pipes a little coat of hairspray too to help the fitment stay nice and tight.

·
Super Moderator
8,868 Posts
Thanks a ton for the extra input man. I read about giving the pipes a little coat of hairspray too to help the fitment stay nice and tight.
You're welcome.Yes hairspray is a good idea if you have a can handy, still want the coupler free of oil before assembly though! Should be trouble -free for you.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sky Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Wheel

fitment for the new intercooler was so smooth, for a mishimoto knockoff the brackets and dimensions are perfect. Was a ***** trying to remove the old intercooler boost hoses though, took like an hour lol.

Pro tip for anyone installing a whoosh intercooler, the torx bolt off the map sensor of the old intercooler will not fit the new intercoolers map sensor tap hole…so i stopped by the hardware store and grabbed a new M6 12mm screw with a washer, which fit perfect on the new intercooler.

I followed some of other st owner’s advice (thanks homies) and degreased/hairsprayed the stock intercoolers hoses for good measure. Then drank a beer and rested my sore body, job turned out well haha.

·
Registered
2014 ST. Stage 3 currently.
2 Posts
View attachment 411817
fitment for the new intercooler was so smooth, for a mishimoto knockoff the brackets and dimensions are perfect. Was a * trying to remove the old intercooler boost hoses though, took like an hour lol.

Pro tip for anyone installing a whoosh intercooler, the torx bolt off the map sensor of the old intercooler will not fit the new intercoolers map sensor tap hole…so i stopped by the hardware store and grabbed a new M6 12mm screw with a washer, which fit perfect on the new intercooler.

I followed some of other st owner’s advice (thanks homies) and degreased/hairsprayed the stock intercoolers hoses for good measure. Then drank a beer and rested my sore body, job turned out well haha.
Hood Trunk Gas Automotive exterior Rectangle
Dep0☑⬆⬆(y).Charge temps way down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts