Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So part of my job is to park cars at events (direct them, not valet) and make sure the parking lot is all clean etc... Well so far this year I have run into 2 Golf R's and have been excited both times. Disappointingly the owners of the car's don't see to care they have a golf r! When I mention I like their car the best I have gotten is "yeah, it's pretty fun but looks adult". When I brought up I own a lightly modded Focus St to one of the owners they looked at me like they had no idea what I was talking about.

So my question is, are all the owners like that? Do they not really appreciate the awesome hot hatch they have? Now a few things to defend the R owners from talking to me. 1: They are trying to get to a wedding and don't have time to chat (not true, but I'll give them the benefit) 2: I'm the parking lot guy and maybe they think it's not worth the time to get into a car convo with me (not nice, but understandable) or 3: They don't even get they have an awesome car, or just aren't excited about it (how do you accidently end up in a R?).

Anyways looking to hear if you guys have had similar run-ins or I have just had a unique experience.

Reactions: dan's st

·
Registered
497 Posts
The only one I've seen was being driven by a kid. He was next to me at a red light. He revved the engine, which was pretty unimpressive IMO. Sounded tame to me.

But I agree, you dont just arbitrarily buy a $40k Golf. You would think they would be enthusiasts for sure, contrary to your findings.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only one I've seen was being driven by a kid. He was next to me at a red light. He revved the engine, which was pretty unimpressive IMO. Sounded tame to me.

But I agree, you dont just arbitrarily buy a $40k Golf. You would think they would be enthusiasts for sure, contrary to your findings.
Yeah I am hoping it is just the situation I am catching them in or maybe just the couple of guys I have run into with them. There has got to be a huge dedicated group like the RS guys have. At least I am hoping there is for their cars sake!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
The only R I've seen was at autocross and he of course knew he was in a Golf R considering he was at a competition event. However, I didn't know it was a golf R because it's so damn boring looking. I thought it was one of the few GTIs. The owner was extremely tame though from what I saw of him without talking to him. He hung out nearby to us the whole day and was just a laid back ~40 maybe high 30's. Nothing overly "my car is badass" about him. He carried himself like he had money though.

Also, I did awful at the event and still beat him. So he can't drive. It was my first autocross.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only R I've seen was at autocross and he of course knew he was in a Golf R considering he was at a competition event. However, I didn't know it was a golf R because it's so damn boring looking. I thought it was one of the few GTIs. The owner was extremely tame though from what I saw of him without talking to him. He hung out nearby to us the whole day and was just a laid back ~40 maybe high 30's. Nothing overly "my car is badass" about him. He carried himself like he had money though.
Also, I did awful at the event and still beat him. So he can't drive. It was my first autocross.
I appreciate someone driving a nice car and being humble about it (even though an R isn't a porsche or something) and hopefully he was there to pick up some tips and be a better driver. It does seem as though these people are more aloof than anything though. Like they googled "fastest hot hatch" went and bought it and are now content and forgot why they even bought it at this point.

As far as his performance, I might have done well at Octane Academy, I know if I went to a real event I'd not be anywhere close to the top so I don't want to talk crap on that front.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Their subtle looks is actually what i like about them. Most people wont know they are a special car unless they know cars. Everyone else just sees them another gti.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Their subtle looks is actually what i like about them. Most people wont know they are a special car unless they know cars. Everyone else just sees them another gti.
I completely respect that opinion, and have friends like that also. I'm in the other genre, who wants my ST to stand out so people don't just think "another focus" when I go by. So my ludicrously loud and awesome sounding BOV, yellow fogs, exhaust, wing risers, and diffuser fins help prove that point. Another one of my friends has a totally stock looking SI (prior to him totaling it...) that could keep up with my car when it was Stage 1 and only weighed 2700lbs. He's all about the sleeper look.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The DSG trans and mature looks makes the Golf R a wanted item among a specific group of people... Those who want a hot hatch without the hassle of a clutch, or those who just think it's a hoot without being a car person or wanting the stigma of a muscle coupe.

Think about it, what else out there can do what the R can do and blend in the way it does?

I have a friend in the D.C. are who got a Golf R, and he drives the snot out of it... He's a family guy/big dollar software programmer. That's what I call adulting with style. Me in my ST? IDGAF at all, I grab second hard and early just to leave a pair of black lines on the concrete all over Houston. :cool2:

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The DSG trans and mature looks makes the Golf R a wanted item among a specific group of people... Those who want a hot hatch without the hassle of a clutch, or those who just think it's a hoot without being a car person or wanting the stigma of a muscle coupe.
Think about it, what else out there can do what the R can do and blend in the way it does?
I have a friend in the D.C. are who got a Golf R, and he drives the snot out of it... He's a family guy/big dollar software programmer. That's what I call adulting with style. Me in my ST? IDGAF at all, I grab second hard and early just to leave a pair of black lines on the concrete all over Houston. :cool2:
I get what you are saying, and I like the car and it's appeal as a sleeper of sorts. I just wish the guys I've met loved theirs cars more openly lol. Maybe I'll get lucky later this year, I have a lot more parking to do before the wedding season is over.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Maybe you just look like a ****. I have an off-putting demeanor myself, even though I'm awesome. Sometimes makes it difficult to talk to strangers about their cars. I have a lot better luck at car shows, but out in the wild, I get similar answers as you no matter what kind of car it is

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Maybe you just look like a ****. I have an off-putting demeanor myself, even though I'm awesome. Sometimes makes it difficult to talk to strangers about their cars. I have a lot better luck at car shows, but out in the wild, I get similar answers as you no matter what kind of car it is
The first ever ST driver I met in person had an ST that burnt oil out the exhaust and lost a quart every 2.5 weeks, but when I took him for a ride in mine he said it "felt slow compared to his" yet he took me for a ride and it felt so much less aggressive. Then proceeded to talk sh!t "in a friendly car guy to car guy way" on how slow my 270hp/350tq car was compared to his which probably doesn't even clear 220 with the issues it has...

So, some people just are bad at being car people. I wouldn't take it personal Locke.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I park daily next to a medical doctor at my office garage and he owns an R and a stupid expensively Porsche. I've asked him about both cars on different days and he doesn't know a Damn thing about either one of them. He didn't even know how much horsepower the Porsche had, or if it was a turbo.

Some people just don't care about anything but the driving, I guess.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I park daily next to a medical doctor at my office garage and he owns an R and a stupid expensively Porsche. I've asked him about both cars on different days and he doesn't know a Damn thing about either one of them. He didn't even know how much horsepower the Porsche had, or if it was a turbo.

Some people just don't care about anything but the driving, I guess.
That's bad, you don't buy a porsche by mistake lol

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like I said in the original post, maybe it's cause I am helping park the cars people might not be as open initially. I also have a pretty big beard and longer hair, I do keep my self well groomed, but it could be off-putting or intimidating I guess (I don't think I look mean, but who knows what people think, a lot of babies cry when I try to hold them though lol). So I think there might be a little bit to the thought that maybe I don't look as approachable? Oh well, I'm gonna keep trying cause what the hell do I have to loose! And if they complain, I'm the boss and I promised not to fire myself for liking peoples cars lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
Like I said in the original post, maybe it's cause I am helping park the cars people might not be as open initially. I also have a pretty big beard and longer hair, I do keep my self well groomed, but it could be off-putting or intimidating I guess (I don't think I look mean, but who knows what people think, a lot of babies cry when I try to hold them though lol). So I think there might be a little bit to the thought that maybe I don't look as approachable? Oh well, I'm gonna keep trying cause what the hell do I have to loose! And if they complain, I'm the boss and I promised not to fire myself for liking peoples cars lol
To us you seem to be a reasonable and handsome man. Keep us posted on the cars and owners you encounter, I'll bet you will have some interesting stories!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To us you seem to be a reasonable and handsome man. Keep us posted on the cars and owners you encounter, I'll bet you will have some interesting stories!
Thanks, we have a few higher end events coming up and I am hoping to see some nice cars at them. I'll have to grab some pics if I see anything truly impressive...like an ST!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My friend James has the 4th official fastest stock turbo Golf-R in the country at least = [email protected] mph.

APR + JB4 Bluetooth stacked tune with water-methanol injection (50/50).

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My friend James has the 4th official fastest stock turbo Golf-R in the country at least = [email protected] mph.

APR + JB4 Bluetooth stacked tune with water-methanol injection (50/50).
Your friend james is the type of person I was thinking I would hear about when starting this thread!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts