Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be doing it this weekend and was wondering if there was a how to guide or anything? I found one thread but was a little confused by it. So you turn both the nuts on the wastegate to the passenger side?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Is there a performance benefit to holding the boost longer, or will it just turn into a heat pump. Reason I vaguely remember Alex (from Stratified) testing this and the results showed that the extra boost is useless due to it being so much hotter.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I doubt it was tested lol. We have done it to every stock turbo car since 2015. It make no temp difference and just improves the boost curve. We've even done it on a completely stock car with not one ill effect.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt it was tested lol. We have done it to every stock turbo car since 2015. It make no temp difference and just improves the boost curve. We've even done it on a completely stock car with not one ill effect.
Thanks for posting those pictures. I'm honestly a little nervous to mess with it but I'm being tuned by jst right now and he said that he 100% recommends it. When I take off the clip will the factory preset move or is it tight?

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thanks for posting those pictures. I'm honestly a little nervous to mess with it but I'm being tuned by jst right now and he said that he 100% recommends it. When I take off the clip will the factory preset move or is it tight?
You should probably buy a turbosmart recirc valve if you do this. or atleast the montune replacement.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Alex from stratified tested it for sure.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Stock WG Max Pre-load = 15 psi @6,000
Turbo Smart IWG = 18 psi @6,000

I gained 1.7 mph in the 1/4 in an otherwise stock car on slicks.

Why would you need a new recirc valve? That seems like a very expensive investment for very little net gain.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
No the two nuts lock it in place. It will not go right till you tighten the second nut. It moves about a 1/4 inch from where it is stock. It's not all dramatic as people seem to think it is. It puts 2 lbs more preload on the actuator

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No the two nuts lock it in place. It will not go right till you tighten the second nut. It moves about a 1/4 inch from where it is stock. It's not all dramatic as people seem to think it is. It puts 2 lbs more preload on the actuator
So tightening would be turning the nuts toward the turbine housing correct?

·
Registered
16 ST, 93 oct, FRPP, RS ac K&N filter, Forge FMIC, Mountune Recirc, CNT cat, 3" pipe, Steeda RMM
181 Posts
I'd like to check mine and if the previous owner hasn't done it I will. Just to be clear, "tightening" waste gate rod nuts, is actually turning them counterclockwise towards the turbo, shortening the throw correct? Thx for clarifying.

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
529 Posts
You have to tune for this mod correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ideally yes, as this can change quite drastically how the turbo behaves, and you want to be safe about things. A tuner will have a look at how your turbo is making boost and ensure its not too much for the engine or turbo itself.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ideally yes, as this can change quite drastically how the turbo behaves, and you want to be safe about things. A tuner will have a look at how your turbo is making boost and ensure its not too much for the engine or turbo itself.
I've wanted to do this for the longest. When my motor blew and I got a used turbo, we were gunna do it but they forgot before they put everything back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,497 Posts
Mine is tightened up and Brian at JST tuned it so the power comes on pretty linearly. I do need a bigger turbo, though, as it's running at almost 100% wgdc for an entire pull thanks to my altitude.

Reactions: TurboGT
1 - 20 of 25 Posts