Ford Focus ST Forum banner
361 - 366 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
18’ Oxford White ST1
54 Posts
Civic with a can blipped me approaching a light. I let it sing for a second at the light change. He chose not to approach after.
Then got pulled over a mile or so down the road, for what looked like speeding because I went around someone doing 6 under the limit. Let off without any paper.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
1,919 Posts
Lined up at a light with a lady in a new C300 4-matic (paper tags on it) where the road shortly thereafter (about 800' according to google maps) chokes to one lane. I'm in the lane which goes away, so I figured I'd have to get on it kinda hard to get ahead of her. When the light went green, however, she punched it and jumped ahead of me while I was trying to get it off the line without just spinning through first. Took until midway through 2nd to get even with her, but by the early part of 3rd I was a couple car lengths ahead and had no problem merging over. She probably didn't like that...

The big turbo makes a huge difference in how this car pulls on top-end... whereas it used to fall on its face above 5K, it now pulls all the way to redline. SO much more fun than it was, and I imagine if I was still on the stock turbo she'd have beaten me easily with the jump she had off the line.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
1,919 Posts
While Jenny and I were out last night I had a Focus SE pick a fight at a light, and unfortunately I wasn't thinking about racing at the time. When the light went green he ended up leaving hard while I just gingerly left, and it wasn't until he was about a car length ahead of me that I realized I should stop thinking about my cute wife next to me and put my foot down on the gas.

Problem was that I was already in 2nd gear by that time and only doing about 10-15 mph, so I was way down in the rpms when I finally stomped it. That's where the downside to the 2867 hits... at that rpm it's laggy, so I just watched as he opened up more space until the turbo finally got with the program and started shoving air into the motor. Once it started reeling him in, though, he got passed without any trouble, and for you, @Duece McCracken, it went "in the ketchup" a bit past 7k as it flowed a max of 37.4 lbs/min of air. I backed out of it in 3rd around 80 with him a couple car lengths behind as he had to merge over into my lane behind me.

My wife looked at me after the race was over and said "why do you do that?" to which I replied I couldn't just let it go since he chose the race. Don't think she understands.

·
Super Moderator
2,740 Posts
Lined up at a light with a lady in a new C300 4-matic (paper tags on it) where the road shortly thereafter (about 800' according to google maps) chokes to one lane. I'm in the lane which goes away, so I figured I'd have to get on it kinda hard to get ahead of her. When the light went green, however, she punched it and jumped ahead of me while I was trying to get it off the line without just spinning through first. Took until midway through 2nd to get even with her, but by the early part of 3rd I was a couple car lengths ahead and had no problem merging over. She probably didn't like that...

The big turbo makes a huge difference in how this car pulls on top-end... whereas it used to fall on its face above 5K, it now pulls all the way to redline. SO much more fun than it was, and I imagine if I was still on the stock turbo she'd have beaten me easily with the jump she had off the line.
This exact situation irritates the hell out of me. If I'm going 50 and punch 3rd its just perfect, beautiful delivery strong pull the whole 9. I can gap alot of things like that.

But off a line? forget it, 2nd is almost useless unless its like 100F outside. Just a small tiny bit too much throttle and then its over. It gets old after a while.

361 - 366 of 366 Posts