Ford Focus ST Forum banner
341 - 360 of 366 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
1,919 Posts
How do the parts compare for the Mustang cost-wise vs the ST parts? Similar hp per $ spent, or since it's a more capable motor, is it less cost per hp? Hopefully it's cheaper (overall) to go fast.

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts
How do the parts compare for the Mustang cost-wise vs the ST parts? Similar hp per $ spent, or since it's a more capable motor, is it less cost per hp? Hopefully it's cheaper (overall) to go fast.
Oh no, you pay to play.

Theres cheap ways to power, like I could get a used procharger, tune, and for like 3-5k I could have 600 plus whp. WHich is nice, but starting at 480 crank, its not that crazy.

Im going more expensive, with a whipple stage 2 S/C, and a full fuel system to support E85. I will be making around 850 whp. Still stock engine, but it'll cost me about 13 grand to do it right, have the headroom. I doubt I'd ever want more power than that. Streeting 750-800 hp can be hairy for sure.

Standard boosted builds for the S550 platform are 600-800 whp. The bigger builds are 1000-1500 whp. Which is crazy. Theres lots of them too, lol

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
What about the trans/yokes/u-joints/rearend? Will those handle that kind of hp. That's not just a "little" step up... I got to drive a guy's supercharged Camaro a couple weeks ago, and that one only had about 550 whp. That was sketchy enough for me when I put my foot down in 2nd... can't even imagine what double that would be like.

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts
What about the trans/yokes/u-joints/rearend? Will those handle that kind of hp. That's not just a "little" step up... I got to drive a guy's supercharged Camaro a couple weeks ago, and that one only had about 550 whp. That was sketchy enough for me when I put my foot down in 2nd... can't even imagine what double that would be like.
Lol, I have close to that power N/A, lmao

For the 650-750 whp builds, everything seems to hold. People start bulletproofing 800whp plus. Theres exceptions of course, just like our platform, lol

Driveshaft, axles, clutch and a built trans or swapped trans.

Engine builds start happening post 1k whp.

·
Super Moderator
2,740 Posts
Having a 1k hp capable motor from the factory, makes all the HP chasing I did with the ST seem kinda lame.

I have had this exact thought many times, so much money time and effort spent on my ST only to barely be able to hang with a stock mid range BMW, and still get smoked by a 5.0. The mopar boats are slow, BRZ kids get it handed to them every single time, but thats like being happy that you can gap a corolla. A stage 2 tune on a GTI is right there with a powermax ST...

but thats the modded car life, its always a better deal to buy the next model up. I'm just glad i didn't self sabotage and buy a civic SI lol

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Had to blow around a left lane camper today on the way to work. Moron Colorado driver is hanging out in the left lane doing 66 in a 65 zone and I'm doing 69 as I come up on him. He's got plenty of room to move over as the person in the right lane is about 100 yards ahead of him and going about the same speed as him. I flash my lights at him and he just sits there in the left lane.. Do it again... still no response, so down to 4th I go and into the right lane to go around him. At that point, I hear him floor it to try to cut off the gap between his car and the one in the right lane. Alrighty then.... Let's see if you can keep up with me when I'm already building boost.

I ended up cutting it a little closer than I liked as I moved into the gap between the two cars, but I got ahead of him and kept my foot in it for a good 6-8 seconds after getting around him just to make a point and open up a LOT of space between us. Apparently it pissed him off as he started pacing that car in the right lane, blocking up traffic for probably 2-3 minutes before that guy pulled off at an exit, which started the flood of folks passing him. Hopefully he got the 1-finger salute multiple times as he earned 'em.

Pit maneuvering left lane campers should be legal and encouraged...

·
Super Moderator
2,159 Posts
Had to blow around a left lane camper today on the way to work. Moron Colorado driver is hanging out in the left lane doing 66 in a 65 zone and I'm doing 69 as I come up on him. He's got plenty of room to move over as the person in the right lane is about 100 yards ahead of him and going about the same speed as him. I flash my lights at him and he just sits there in the left lane.. Do it again... still no response, so down to 4th I go and into the right lane to go around him. At that point, I hear him floor it to try to cut off the gap between his car and the one in the right lane. Alrighty then.... Let's see if you can keep up with me when I'm already building boost.

I ended up cutting it a little closer than I liked as I moved into the gap between the two cars, but I got ahead of him and kept my foot in it for a good 6-8 seconds after getting around him just to make a point and open up a LOT of space between us. Apparently it pissed him off as he started pacing that car in the right lane, blocking up traffic for probably 2-3 minutes before that guy pulled off at an exit, which started the flood of folks passing him. Hopefully he got the 1-finger salute multiple times as he earned 'em.

Pit maneuvering left lane campers should be legal and encouraged...
Around here, bro trucks are a common sight driving slowly in the left lane. A sad symptom of tiny wang syndrome.

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
938 Posts
Around here, bro trucks are a common sight driving slowly in the left lane. A sad symptom of tiny wang syndrome.
The yee-yee trucks and their occupants are a blight on society.

I never give them the opportunity to be crazy, unless they're behind me and traffic is tight... Then I'm just fine pacing traffic next to me for a bit 🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
Didn't really gap anyone, but, had a Fox Body GT roll up fast from behind on my way to work this morning in the lane next to me; about a 1/8 mile ahead the light turned yellow and then red. I was blipping the throttle a bit to rev match while down shifting through the gears. We get to the light together, when it turns green I rev a bit and take off about normal waiting for him to jump but he just stays at my back fender; I goose it just enough to break the tires loose and hit 2nd...he falls back about 25 yards and stays there. I hit it again, just enough to make some noise and go to 3rd...he just hangs back as I turn left at the next light. I guess he just wanted to take a look. 🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,197 Posts
Didn't really gap anyone, but, had a Fox Body GT roll up fast from behind on my way to work this morning in the lane next to me; about a 1/8 mile ahead the light turned yellow and then red. I was blipping the throttle a bit to rev match while down shifting through the gears. We get to the light together, when it turns green I rev a bit and take off about normal waiting for him to jump but he just stays at my back fender; I goose it just enough to break the tires loose and hit 2nd...he falls back about 25 yards and stays there. I hit it again, just enough to make some noise and go to 3rd...he just hangs back as I turn left at the next light. I guess he just wanted to take a look. 🤷‍♂️
Seeing fun cars that aren't driven in a fun manner makes me sad.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
He just didnt want a can of ST whoop azz opened up on his lil fox body rollin from 40 to 80 mph cause then he be like.... why I buy a stang?? 🤣

Vision care Eyewear Gesture Happy Surprised

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
We decided to go eat for Valentine's day today so I figured I'd drive the car since it hasn't moved for a month. Maybe two. Anyway, a diesel bro in a Cummins with the typical 14" wide tire and obnoxious chrome wheels wanted to prove his mall crawler status. It definitely had exhaust. But I'm assuming factory turbo. We were cruising in the right lane at 66mph and this dude jumps in the left lane and gets beside us, stabbing the throttle repeatedly. I downshifted into 3rd and goosed it then backed off and waited for him to go. He ripped it and so did I. After I grabbed fourth he was literally bus lengths behind me. Revved out forth and went to sixth because reasons and hit the cruise resume and coasted back down to 66. Was her first "race" and she loved it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I be like where da stang go??? oh dat rite he in my rear view mirror cause i passed him...lmfao

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Reactions: xTheMan42

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Mouth Jaw Gesture Art Movie

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
836 Posts
Photoshop?

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Photoshop?
Or, you know, pay for the work someone did taking photos of your car with no guarantee of payment. Even if it's just 1.

If that's not a track-paid photographer, they have expenses they need to pay too. Just like you do at a track day.

Reactions: xTheMan42
341 - 360 of 366 Posts