Ford Focus ST Forum banner
321 - 340 of 366 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
1,919 Posts
Oh, it is SOOO much fun. Put your foot down and as the rpms climb the smile just gets wider and wider.
I have to update this.. Was getting on the 4-lane this morning and had 3 cars in front of me as we went through this little 1-lane, S-curve section of the on-ramp. Just after that section, it goes out to 2-lanes wide through most of the on-ramp, and then merges back to 1 lane just before you get onto the 4-lane. The guy in front of our group was accelerating painfully slowly, so I jumped into the left lane and floored it. Thankfully I'd left the traction control on, as it still got a touch squirrely, but I blasted past them and just kept going through the gears to see how it did as I had a couple hundred more yards of clear road in front of me to accelerate. As near as I can figure according to Google maps, in the close to 1200' of run, I got it to right at 110 and it was still pulling really well in 4th when I backed out of it and had to get on the brakes hard as I was catching up to traffic further down the ramp in a hurry. It seriously needs a brake upgrade now.

FWIW, boost pressure on the AP showed 27.77 with +5.00 ignition corrections across all 4 cylinders. Can't wait until the Spring and I get to swap off the snow tires so I can finish tuning it with and without WMI.

After I got it slowed back down to normal speeds it took several minutes for the ol' heart to stop beating hard, as that was a pretty good rush. Was more of a "holy crap, that was too fast" moment and not just an ear-to-ear grin-inducing bit of acceleration. Hate to admit it, but that scared me a bit with how quickly it got to over 100 and how long it took to slow back down. That was intense. With the stock turbo it was always predictable and I had a good feeling about how much time I could hammer on it, and what speed I'd be at after that timeframe. With this new setup, though, I'm having to re-learn just how long I can stay in the gas. I simply can't stay in it as long since it accelerates so much faster.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
I have to update this.. Was getting on the 4-lane this morning and had 3 cars in front of me as we went through this little 1-lane, S-curve section of the on-ramp. Just after that section, it goes out to 2-lanes wide through most of the on-ramp, and then merges back to 1 lane just before you get onto the 4-lane. The guy in front of our group was accelerating painfully slowly, so I jumped into the left lane and floored it. Thankfully I'd left the traction control on, as it still got a touch squirrely, but I blasted past them and just kept going through the gears to see how it did as I had a couple hundred more yards of clear road in front of me to accelerate. As near as I can figure according to Google maps, in the close to 1200' of run, I got it to right at 110 and it was still pulling really well in 4th when I backed out of it and had to get on the brakes hard as I was catching up to traffic further down the ramp in a hurry. It seriously needs a brake upgrade now.

FWIW, boost pressure on the AP showed 27.77 with +5.00 ignition corrections across all 4 cylinders. Can't wait until the Spring and I get to swap off the snow tires so I can finish tuning it with and without WMI.

After I got it slowed back down to normal speeds it took several minutes for the ol' heart to stop beating hard, as that was a pretty good rush. Was more of a "holy crap, that was too fast" moment and not just an ear-to-ear grin-inducing bit of acceleration. Hate to admit it, but that scared me a bit with how quickly it got to over 100 and how long it took to slow back down. That was intense. With the stock turbo it was always predictable and I had a good feeling about how much time I could hammer on it, and what speed I'd be at after that timeframe. With this new setup, though, I'm having to re-learn just how long I can stay in the gas. I simply can't stay in it as long since it accelerates so much faster.
I forsee a frankenbrake upgrade in your future.....
You thinking different calipers for the front or just rotors and pads?

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I forsee a frankenbrake upgrade in your future.....
You thinking different calipers for the front or just rotors and pads?
Yeah, thinking about it... Asked Duece about it and he gave me the impression changing just the rears wouldn't help that much, and I'd need to go with a bbk all around to do any good. However, if I did that, then I wouldn't be able to use the 17" steel rims for the snow tires, so I'd have to update to at least a set of snowflakes and 5mm spacers for both the summer AND winter tires... so more $.
May just do the rears with the Mazda 5 bracket (and where the heck can I find these for less than $75/each?) and put the RS rotors on it, and then just put Hawk HP+ pads at all 4 corners. I ran those on the Neon several years ago and loved how well they hauled it down. They were dusty/squeaky, but they did a great job of stopping the car.

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts
Yeah, thinking about it... Asked Duece about it and he gave me the impression changing just the rears wouldn't help that much, and I'd need to go with a bbk all around to do any good. However, if I did that, then I wouldn't be able to use the 17" steel rims for the snow tires, so I'd have to update to at least a set of snowflakes and 5mm spacers for both the summer AND winter tires... so more $.
May just do the rears with the Mazda 5 bracket (and where the heck can I find these for less than $75/each?) and put the RS rotors on it, and then just put Hawk HP+ pads at all 4 corners. I ran those on the Neon several years ago and loved how well they hauled it down. They were dusty/squeaky, but they did a great job of stopping the car.
What summer tires and size are you running?

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
What summer tires and size are you running?
Stock size (235/40/18) Indy 500's on the stock snowflakes. I'm currently running no spacers. For the winter tires, I'm running 215/55/17's.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Pick n save (pick and pull) Yards are muucchh cheaper. I have some 20mm NIB spacers you can buy.
Dusty and squeaky, yes. They also eat rotors. But they stop great.

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Shadow Black, E30, MonsterFMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' ShiftBushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
2,761 Posts

See, I tell that to people with ultra fast cars that I sometimes miss the sound of my slower MTs and have to explain...

If you like the way it sounds and feels WOT, you can only go so powerful or you'll be constantly disappointed at the quietness... Or in jail 😊😛😁
So enjoy the power in the brief times that your can! 👍 😎

·
Super Moderator
2,740 Posts
You can start with just a pad upgrade, I found that switching to EBC greenstuff was a step in the right direction, I don't feel like I'm "out of brake" nearly as often as I did before, and they resist fade a bit longer.

BBK is the right solution but its expensive. I'm in the same boat as you with snow tires, 17" in the winter limits me to stock brakes, though my eventual plan is to get a second car and only run the focus in the summer, negating the need for winters at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
You can start with just a pad upgrade, I found that switching to EBC greenstuff was a step in the right direction, I don't feel like I'm "out of brake" nearly as often as I did before, and they resist fade a bit longer.

BBK is the right solution but its expensive. I'm in the same boat as you with snow tires, 17" in the winter limits me to stock brakes, though my eventual plan is to get a second car and only run the focus in the summer, negating the need for winters at all.
Was talking to STallion18 about buying some rear RS rotors and the mazda brackets from him, so that would help with the rears a bit... then looking at pad options to replace the stock pads at all 4 corners. Just a LOT of options out there.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts
Was talking to STallion18 about buying some rear RS rotors and the mazda brackets from him, so that would help with the rears a bit... then looking at pad options to replace the stock pads at all 4 corners. Just a LOT of options out there.
Hawk HPS is tried a true. Low dust, no noise, very good street manners, better than OEM.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Hawk HPS is tried a true. Low dust, no noise, very good street manners, better than OEM.
No love for the squealing, squeaking, mountains of dust, HP plus pads that happen to stop really well? 😉

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts
No love for the squealing, squeaking, mountains of dust, HP plus pads that happen to stop really well? 😉
Nope, ran them 1 day, then ripped them the **** out, deposited them in the trash.

They are not for a daily.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Nope, ran them 1 day, then ripped them the **** out, deposited them in the trash.

They are not for a daily.
I ran them on the neon rt for several years... You saying this old(ish) guy is more hard-core than you when it comes to the "because race car" stuff? 😂

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts
I ran them on the neon rt for several years... You saying this old(ish) guy is more hard-core than you when it comes to the "because race car" stuff? 😂
I only ran them as rears, ran Wilwood bp20 on my 6 piston fronts.

No reason to street them, unless your pops and crackles tune drowns them out.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Gapped a poor Civic DX with a fart can and a mid-size wing twice this morning on the way to work. First time I was driving beside him on a 3-lanes each way, 45 mph section of road when I heard him downshift and jump on it when we were doing about 35. I was still in 3rd so I just put my foot down. Traction control light was flashing repeatedly as I opened up space between us until about 60 when I let off and got on the brakes. About a mile later I did it again as he tried to accelerate hard away from me at a light we'd gotten caught at. Same song, different verse... I never even floored it either time, too. I think the most boost pressure was in the low 24 psi range.

BTW, even with this kind of fun, the dash mpg reading is currently showing 31.5 mpg with about 200 miles on the tank. :) This thing is WAY more efficient than the stock turbo.

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts
I had a lil fun this morn.

Very new Jetta GLi got up in my schnuts. So I downshifted to 3rd, and let loose the auditory assault...

Needless to say I was able to finish my entire meal at Gapplebees before he/she caught up.

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts
Just had a lil bit of a pull with a 335i. I let him gun it and get some distance, then I floored it and was up in him quickly, paced him, and I backed off at 120-ish. No contest, would have been dining alone again at Gapplebees again.

It looked all stock, so not surprising. Besides some weight differences, I make about 235 more hp than he does. I literally have an ST's power over it, lol

·
Super Moderator
2,740 Posts
Just had a lil bit of a pull with a 335i. I let him gun it and get some distance, then I floored it and was up in him quickly, paced him, and I backed off at 120-ish. No contest, would have been dining alone again at Gapplebees again.

It looked all stock, so not surprising. Besides some weight differences, I make about 235 more hp than he does. I literally have an ST's power over it, lol
335i's are deadly with work done to them.

My friend has one, but its in sad shape...and not manual :(

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Yeah if i ever see the McCraken's stang creeping up on me in the rear like Wiley Coyote I will just pop that bad boy down to 3rd and be like da Road Runner and smoke his azz to 120.. he be like "why i buy a stang???"

Cartoon World Organism Font Adaptation

Vision care Jaw Eyewear Gesture Cool

• Haha
Reactions: MtnMan

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts
335i's are deadly with work done to them.

My friend has one, but its in sad shape...and not manual :(
I guess. N/A I'm capable of 580 crank HP, a stage 1 whipple, base tune puts me at 750-ish crank on 93 oct.

Being in the "muscle car" class makes things quite a bit different from the "hot hatch" mod progress. Having a 1k hp capable motor from the factory, makes all the HP chasing I did with the ST seem kinda lame. Fun, but I feel much better modifying the rustang.

321 - 340 of 366 Posts