Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Confused..It's a 2016, 91 stratified tune and e30 tune used here and there. Catless DP, injen intake and straight piped. Okay so here's my very strange issue! When I pump my brakes until the pedal gets hard a cloud of white smoke comes out the exhaust. After around 40 seconds it stops smoking. There is no smoke at idle prior to pumping or driving and wot. The smoke clears completely. Also smoke is white but does not smell like coolant, more like some odd burnt smell. 15k miles. I have a small evap leak code that comes up every now and then. But when this occurs no cel.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Your pedal should be hard all the time and no pumping needed. Why are you not concerned about that? I can't imagine any good reason for the the car to smoke when you pump the brakes but it's "probably" related! :-/

Reactions: mininsx

·
Registered
407 Posts
Why do you have to pump your brakes until they get hard?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The brakes are normal they are firm but when at idle if you pump them they get really stiff is what I'm saying. The brakes are normal, I drive STs often. (I work at a NR Ford Dealer.) That's why I'm just worried about the smoke

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I just clarified the brakes pedal are firm and "normal" feeling. One day I was driving and came to a hard stop and I noticed smoke coming out and but it went away. I tried to replicate the issue but never could until now. I was at a drive thru and just impatiently started to pump the brakes and noticed it started smoking. So once I got home i tested it again and it replicated the issue. I'ma have some a tech look at it tomorrow at work but I had texted him about it and showed him a video and he says that it's very weird and he never seen anything like it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tomorrow ima take my car into service, they're gonna check the turbo. Also forgot to mention we checked the spark plugs and they are not fouled so it must be after the intake. Nothing makes sense to me anymore lol. Hopefully they find the problem

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The booster diaphragm is easy to test with a hand-held vacuum pump. If it won't hold vacuum it's got a hole in it.
Update: Okay so we figured out it isn't the brakes. We could disconnect the vacuum line and let the air get sucked in from the vacuum pump and it starts to smoke with all that air getting sucked in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The booster diaphragm is easy to test with a hand-held vacuum pump. If it won't hold vacuum it's got a hole in it.
Update: Okay so we figured out it isn't the brakes. We could disconnect the vacuum line and let the air get sucked in from the vacuum pump and it starts to smoke with all that air getting sucked in.
Okay so what was it never got an answer on what it was????

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
This really sounds like a pcv valve I notice this is an old thread but someone posted about asking if they figured it out. He said it happened when he would pump the brakes which is obviously connected to the crankcase by way of brake booster which they looked at. I'm guessing his pcv is or was stuck closed creating large amounts of excess crankcase pressure.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It's a very good possibility your pcv valve isn't closing the whole way and is getting stuck open, if you've done comp test and they were good then that's would lead me to believe that it's a good chance it's ur pcv. If ur comp results came back questionable id say to do a leakdown test if you have the tools available cause then it could point to something else like rings, a valve sticking open or oil being pulled or pushed thru your valve cover breather into your intake pipe and then burning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts